Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling jersey

Options
  • 22-07-2011 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

I was thinking of getting the AG2R jersey and while looking it up online i came across an old thread about rules of jersey wearing. Apparently it is bang out of order to wear the Irish champions jersey as you might meet him on the road and it would be a sign of disrespect. This got me thinking a bit, in other sports we wear the jersey out of respect...this is our team sort of thing and it pledges your allegiance so to speak. Any normal person can wear one..like people going around wearing a Liverpool jersey with Gerard on the back or a Utd jersey with Keane on the back(is he still playing smile.gif), people don't go up to them and say your not Gerard your ****e at soccer, but automatically you see some one on the bike with a jersey on and people automatically think who the fook does he think he is Sean Kelly (unless of course it is Sean Kelly).Sorry post is a bit rambly but what do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

I am new to the cycling forum, but the way I look at it is. Wear what you want.
    don't left anybody on the interweb tell you what you can and cant do. Simples :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

rothai wrote: »
    Any normal person can wear one..like people going around wearing a Liverpool jersey with Gerard on the back
    I'm sorry, but how can any "normal" person wear a Liverpool jersey? It's a bit of a contradiction in terms (certainly based on the Liverpool fans known to frequent this forum)

Anyway, back to your main point, I will be wearing my new RAS KOM jersey with extreme pride* in the next Swords League race;)

* well actually supreme irony

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭rothai

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but how can any "normal" person wear a Liverpool jersey? It's a bit of a contradiction in terms (certainly based on the Liverpool fans known to frequent this forum)

good point, well made. i laughed out loud reading it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I was thinking of getting the AG2R jersey and while looking it up online i came across an old thread about rules of jersey wearing. Apparently it is bang out of order to wear the Irish champions jersey as you might meet him on the road and it would be a sign of disrespect. This got me thinking a bit, in other sports we wear the jersey out of respect...this is our team sort of thing and it pledges your allegiance so to speak. Any normal person can wear one..like people going around wearing a Liverpool jersey with Gerard on the back or a Utd jersey with Keane on the back(is he still playing smile.gif), people don't go up to them and say your not Gerard your ****e at soccer, but automatically you see some one on the bike with a jersey on and people automatically think who the fook does he think he is Sean Kelly (unless of course it is Sean Kelly).Sorry post is a bit rambly but what do ye think?

Wearing the football jersey of a particular team, with a player's name on it clearly states your support for that team/person. A KOM, yellow jersey, green jersey, pink jersey is not directly associated with any one team or person. It's a clear statement that those who wear the jersey earned it, not that you support the concept of what it stands for. You can wear whatever you want, but you wear the polka dot jersey, be prepared to be able to follow through on the statement you make.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Wearing a yellow jersey is a bit like wearing a champions league medal around your neck. I wore one on the TdKK last year and in the short period I was there, I had a bit of slagging.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I haven't yet worn the polka jersey I got from Santa several years ago.:o

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I have a Dauphine Libere polka dot jersey, red with white dots. If any young cyclist meets a 61 year old man wearing a Dauphine Libere polka dot jersey please keep your "rules" to yourself. I am not passing myself off as a winner of the KOM in the Dauphine Libere.

If you persist and try to ruin my cycle I will ask for your name and publicise it here, there, and everywhere. Of course if you want to criticise me and remain anonymous then you are what you are.

These rule makers say wear club colours or plain colours only. I am not in a club, and don't want to spend big on Assos kit.

I could use other words to describe the rule makers. Jog on.

You can wear whatever you want, but you wear the polka dot jersey, be prepared to be able to follow through on the statement you make.
    Why do you think I am making a statement? And go away with your "be prepared to follow up" comment.

Were you the school bully?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Wearing a yellow jersey is a bit like wearing a champions league medal around your neck. I wore one on the TdKK last year and in the short period I was there, I had a bit of slagging.

You wore your champions league medal on the TdKK ? :D

Rule #16 :rolleyes:

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/

kincsem wrote: »
    You can wear whatever you want, but you wear the polka dot jersey, be prepared to be able to follow through on the statement you make.
    Why do you think I am making a statement? And go away with your "be prepared to follow up" comment.

Were you the school bully?

Why do I think you're making a statement? I'm a great believer in Lacan's psychoanalytical theory on the Gaze and the concept of dressing up the Id, or was it the Ego, not sure anymore.

Statement about backing it up was to do with those around you more than my own judgement, but I'll still stand by it, though I'm not sure how I could go away with my statement. Are you suggesting I leave Boards.ie?

No, I wasn't the school bully, but thank you for the attempted insult. If I were, your disregard for the "rules" may have led us to be perfect wedgie performing buddies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Dont wear a poker dot jersey at any mass event that involves any grade of hill.

You will have a lot to prove and live up to.
    Not that I have ever done something so silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭pmcd22

he said follow through

I guess he means that if you wear a mountain jersey then it be good if you are a good climber.

My overall opinion on the matter is wear what you want. if you feel comfortable in an Irish Champion jersey then wear it. Of course if you wear it then people will be quick to remind you that your not the Irish Champion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭moggs1972

just got my giro climbers jersey today, nice green one even tho i cant climb a stairs!:D

BTW OP you can get Ireland Team jerseys, rather than the Irish National Champion jersey, there's also the An Post jerseys which may also convey the message you wish to communicate.

62811.jpg

Though, it's not ASsOS, I'm sure not many people really mind, not syre the "rules" specify brand.

I have a Dauphine Libere polka dot jersey, red with white dots. If any young cyclist meets a 61 year old man wearing a Dauphine Libere polka dot jersey please keep your "rules" to yourself. I am not passing myself off as a winner of the KOM in the Dauphine Libere.

If you persist and try to ruin my cycle I will ask for your name and publicise it here, there, and everywhere. Of course if you want to criticise me and remain anonymous then you are what you are.

These rule makers say wear club colours or plain colours only. I am not in a club, and don't want to spend big on Assos kit.

I could use other words to describe the rule makers. Jog on.

i love the fire in that, thats what i want more of. If i see you on the road i'll give you a wave, or a nod.:cool:

Statement about backing it up was to do with those around you more than my own judgement, but I'll still stand by it, though I'm not sure how I could go away with my statement. Are you suggesting I leave Boards.ie?
    You think this 61 year old wearing a polka dot jersey will try to outclimb everyone? Or should try to outclimb everyone on a sportive to "honour" the jersey?

If you think wearing a yellow, green, or polka dot Tour de France jersey dishonours the jersey why don't you contact these people? They are the biggest offenders. They sell them.
    http://boutique.letour.fr/index.php?language=en&partner=1WSTDF

i love the fire in that, thats what i want more of. If i see you on the road i'll give you a wave, or a nod.:cool:

This is fire?

I guess I'd better take up listening to Joe Duffy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

aquanaut wrote: »
    You wore your champions league medal on the TdKK ? :D

Rule #16 :rolleyes:

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/

I see this rules thing as nothing more than a form of Protestantism from the one true church: Euro rules.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

BTW OP you can get Ireland Team jerseys, rather than the Irish National Champion jersey, there's also the An Post jerseys which may also convey the message you wish to communicate.

62811.jpg

Though, it's not ASsOS, I'm sure not many people really mind, not syre the "rules" specify brand.

So i guess in these "rules" team jerseys are ok, its just leaders jerseys that are a no no. But sure i suppose its what ever you are comfortable in. And surely there is a rule about being courteous to other cyclists, regardless of what they are wearing..right ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The oul cycling forum is getting very obstreperous lately isn't it. There's no respect for the euro rules anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Someday I might wear it outside the house.:P
    Picture_195_Small.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

This is fire?

I guess I'd better take up listening to Joe Duffy.

joe duffy, suure suure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Beasty wrote: »

wow...I'm NOT normal:p

You think this 61 year old wearing a polka dot jersey will try to outclimb everyone? Or should try to outclimb everyone on a sportive to "honour" the jersey?

If you think wearing a yellow, green, or polka dot Tour de France jersey dishonours the jersey why don't you contact these people? They are the biggest offenders. They sell them.
    http://boutique.letour.fr/index.php?language=en&partner=1WSTDF

tumblr_loecmzNgVG1qzrlhgo1_400.gif

Irritating, isn't it.

Advertisement