Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oakley radar path

Options
  • 22-07-2011 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

hi,i can pick up some oakley radar path for 130 in a shop reduced from 220, even at 130 this seems like a lot to me. has anyone got a pair of these? any good or worth picking up at this price,my last set cost about 60 but werent all that good to be honest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Some slightly cheaper alternatives here which might interest you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

The price will depend mainly on the lens. A pair of Radar glasses with the photochromatic lens tend to be around the 200+euro mark last time I checked. The polarized lenses were not far behind, price wise. But with "just" an iridium lens the glasses usually retail online for around the 130euro mark.

Are they good? - Yes, but only assuming that the fit suits you, that they work with any helmet that you might wear them with, etc. I like mine but don't like the fact that they are prone to misting, but how they fit my face shape plays a significant part here.

Are they worth the money? - That depends on what you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend on glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

thanks for the responses , the m frames look pretty decent too. i tried on the radars and thought they were extremely comfortable,best ive tried anyway. i use a giro atmos helmet. not sure if they are compatible.

the lenses are blue iridium

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

avalanche wrote: »
    thanks for the responses , the m frames look pretty decent too. i tried on the radars and thought they were extremely comfortable,best ive tried anyway. i use a giro atmos helmet. not sure if they are compatible.

the lenses are blue iridium

have you a link, or the name of the shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

hi,i can pick up some oakley radar path for 130 in a shop reduced from 220, even at 130 this seems like a lot to me.
    Sounds like a good deal.

Do yourself a favor and try the polarized lenses, if possible. Once you wear the polarized lens, you'll never wear anything but.

I have collected a few Oakleys over the years and they are one of the best glasses out there. Their technology in lens clarity is most welcome when you are wearing them for hours every day.

• Advertisement

hi glasses are the same as the white ones here for 180sterling

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18581
    the shop is in spain.

seems like they are giving a decent price

anyone use or used the radars?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Had a pair for ages and they're grand. go for it! (think RobFowl now uses my old one)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

I have a set of the Radar Range. Have an older pair of Half Jackets. The BIG PLUS with both styles is that the lens can be changed in and out when they wear out or are cracked.

The BIG MINUS is that regardless of what Oakley lens you have in the frames, they scratch very very easily.

I was very thankful of them last week up by Glencree where a car sped past on the loose chippings doing about 60 mph and showered me with stone bits. One in the face, right on the eye but the Radars saved the day..Lens badly cracked though. About 60 sterling to replace the lens...Sorely tempted to sue Wicklow CC for the money!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

doozerie wrote: »
    Are they good? - Yes, but only assuming that the fit suits you, that they work with any helmet that you might wear them with, etc. I like mine but don't like the fact that they are prone to misting, but how they fit my face shape plays a significant part here.

Are they worth the money? - That depends on what you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend on glasses.

There are vented versions of the lenses available to get rid of the misting, can't say I've had that problem here with our weather but it was handy in the states with the humidity here. Maybe I just don't exert myself enough here to mist up mine

I have 3 Heater lenses and one M-frame so I will recommend Oakley, one of the lenses is nearly 20 years old so if you look after them they will last

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭cantalach

Evans, A Schleck, Contador and Cancellara, just to name a few who I saw wearing them today. I realise I am a complete saddo for noticing this but I wear them too which is why I noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

There are vented versions of the lenses available to get rid of the misting, can't say I've had that problem here with our weather but it was handy in the states with the humidity here. Maybe I just don't exert myself enough here to mist up mine

Unfortunately the vented version of Oakley lenses don't work for me (either with M-Frames or Radar). They do seem to delay the onset of misting but it's such a minimal difference that it makes no real difference at all and when they do inevitably mist up they get just as bad as with non-vented lenses. I believe that all of this relates to my face shape as I think my eyebrow ridges impede the flow of air past the top of the frame. Some people claim that misting is never an issue with Oakleys (and other brands) but I suspect this has more to do with their face shape than the glasses themselves, as such.

I do find that the Radars mist a little less than M-Frames, for what it is worth, possibly due to the different shape of frame, possibly helped by the water-repellent coating on the lens. The problem is at its worst for me when I am stopped on the bike, at traffic lights and the like. It is so bad that sometimes the lens becomes translucent and once I get moving I can be as much as 100m down the road before the lens clears, which is not good. In damp warm weather (e.g. several days last week in Dublin) it happens every time I stop, in other conditions it happens less frequently, in warm dry weather it happens rarely. It remains the only real issue that I have with Oakley glasses but it is a significant issue and one that would cause me to buy a different brand next time round.

Oh, I mentioned in an earlier post that Radars with iridium lenses are usually available online for about 130euro. That's what I paid but I'd forgotten that was a sale price at the time. They are available from the same place as I got mine for a regular price of about 160euro - www.cyclestore.co.uk

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Had a pair for ages and they're grand. go for it! (think RobFowl now uses my old one)

I do and they are great. Comfortable and lovely fit.

Advertisement