Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disassemble, clean, pack, reassemble, lube

Options
  • 22-07-2011 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

I have to learn how to pack my Ridley Orion for London triathlon into a polaris bike pod, plus reassemble with the confidence to ride flat out! Are there any guides to disassembly I.e. Settings I need to write down for reassembly, torque settings for carbon frame?

Also is this the ideal time to degrease all moving parts and re-lube? Apart from the crank, chain and deraillers, should I be degreasing / re-oiling anything else?

Many thanks

Ps. TDF is great this year!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I have found that with my bike case, and most others, you do not have to take a lot apart.
    Here's what I have to do

1) remove pedals from cranks
    2) loosen the stem so that the whole handlebar assembly comes off.
    3) Tape chain so that it isn't moving/scratching the drops during transport
    4) Remove seat post with saddle.

That's about it. I like to place the saddle in the rear triangle, for extra strength and I put the handlebars inside the top tube/down tube/seat tube area.

When you have your handlebars off, try moving them and see what they naturally want to do. You most definitely do not want to mess up a gear or brake cable.

It has worked for me several times in going to France, Portugal, Spain, and the US. I usually have the bike up and running in about 20 minutes. Not a whole lot to do.

Also, make sure you put some posts inside the box for strength. Even a piece of cardboard, wrapped several times, and duct taped can support a large vertical load.

Finally, assume that the hur€s that handle your bike case will take a particular interest in seeing it suffer. I believe they see tough cases as a challenge or obstacle to overcome. I have used cases once, that looked like they had been to war.

Slan

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Kildafornia

Sound advice fisma, cheers. So I could leave the derailleur on the frame?

Sound advice fisma, cheers. So I could leave the derailleur on the frame?

Hmmm,
    Now that you mentioned it, I may need to make a number 5) or at least a 4.5).

Check the bike box. If memory serves me correctly, I have removed it for some bikes and not for others.

It really depends on the size of the bike and box. I believe the main decision with the derailleur was not whether it contacted the sides of the box, but more so the bottom.

It probably would not hurt to unbolt the derailluer from the frame - but that's it. Especially, it it is pressing firmly against the side of the box.

I would definitely put something across the box (perpendicular to the frame) in the area of the rear derailleur to serve as a pressure point.

A few quick links
    http://www.indyspeed.org/cycling/HowtoPackaBicycleBox.pdf
    http://bikehugger.com/post/view/how-to-pack-a-bike-in-a-box

Ok cool, I think I need to just go ahead now. 1 more thing though: how do I know torque settings for reassembly? It's a carbon fibre frame, although possibly the seat clamp and the derailleur (hanger?) are the only screws going into cf

Got the job done, cheers for the tips fisma. I took your advice except I removed the handlebar from the stem, and kept the stem attached to the steerer tube. Pointing upwards the stem just about fits. The frame is xl so it's a tight fit, a bit more padding and she'll be ok!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Got the job done, cheers for the tips fisma. I took your advice except I removed the handlebar from the stem, and kept the stem attached to the steerer tube. Pointing upwards the stem just about fits. The frame is xl so it's a tight fit, a bit more padding and she'll be ok!

Did you take some pictures so you know how to pack it up again when you're finished your event!

Glad to hear it worked out.

Did you have to drop the derailleur?

Advertisement