Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition Cycling - Advice

Options
  • 22-07-2011 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi There,

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I live in Dublin 4 area and am looking to build up to racing competitively. What do I need to do to get started and is it easy for a complete newbie to start?

Are there any races over the winter months or is it used for more training? Should I join a club? I'm on a bit of a come back from an injury and am not able to start back cycling until September but wanted to get ready! I'm itching to get back on my bike.

Anyway, thanks!

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Join a club (Orwell Wheelers are on the Southside and very popular around here)

Go on some spins with them to see what your overall fitness level is like (they will have groups for a variety of abilities, starting at beginners)

Build up the miles over the winter, and hopefully you'll be ready to go for the 2012 racing season

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

http://www.orwellwheelers.org/club-spins-overview.html

I went out with Orwell a couple of times before last Christmas and they appear to be getting very busy. Generally they say if you're looking to start racing the next year, then you should be in Intermediate group. So even if you start at a lower level, you should be aiming to be at the level of the intermediate group by February/March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Bairdsy

Thank you both!

Advertisement