Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for cycling day trip from Dublin?

Options
  • 22-07-2011 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi all

Am thinking of doing a day cycling trip tomorrow from Dublin (am in Dublin 15) - ie few hours cycle, then picnic, then cycle home. Can only think of heading down to Glendalough to the picnic-type area.... does anyone have suggestions of nice trips that they've done? My husband and I cycle daily and have light-weight hybrids... so we're reasonably fit but not seasoned distance cyclists!!

Very much appreciate any suggestions! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Enniskerry and Powerscourt. Maybe 40Km round trip.

You can also bring the bikes on the Dart at the weekends I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A trip to Glendalough would depend on whether you want to go the shorter but harder way, or the longer and flatter way.

On a nice sunny day with a light breeze, it would certainly be a nice trip.

The longer and flatter way would take you through the city centre, down the N11 and then off for Kilmacanogue. From there it's about an hour, maybe 90 minutes to Glendalough. The return trip is slightly tougher (more uphill) but not that bad.

The shorter but tougher way is down towards South Dublin/Tallaght, over Sally gap and into Laragh, which is 1km up the road from Glendalough. It's more direct, but more vertical.

On a nice day the tougher ride is arguably nicer - there will be less traffic, more stunning views and you can also pop into the coffee shop at Glencree to have a breather, a bun and a coffee. But it's distinctly a harder ride.

Edit: Studiorat gives a good option there. The best of both worlds is to go via Harold's Cross, Dundrum, Enniskerry. There's a little more climbing in it, but you're taken off the busy N11 and pass through a couple of lazy villages where you can have a break and a coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

You could try heading up to the Hill of Tara, over to Duleek and back by Ratoath.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

studiorat wrote: »
    You can also bring the bikes on the Dart at the weekends I think.

Yep. Off peak is grand. Details here.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭smallbrowncat

Thank you everyone!! These are all fantastic suggestions because we literally had no idea which routes to even take.....

Really want to take advantage of the nice weather that's (supposed) be around tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thebigmc

The Irish Downhill MTB national championships are on in Carrick tomorrow and Sunday, could be a good stop off to see some quality riding. Its qualifying tomorrow and racing on Sunday.
    http://www.irishnationaldownhill.com/

Thinking I'd like a spin out myself to see the track

Advertisement