Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benefits from moving into second group in races

Options
  • 22-07-2011 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

This was my fourth race, (newbie since April),
    I won my 3rd race from starting in the first group so got upgraded to the second of 3 groups for a 40 mile spin yesterday evening.(fairly flat overall)
    What a difference this made, we took off flying and I cycled faster than I ever have, being in this group meant working a lot harder but was definitely more beneficial than staying in 1st group.
    I'm definitely making improvements, my best average speed in the races I've done so far have been about 22miles per hour.
    Last night it was 25.2miles per hour

Overall I think everyone would agree if your able to move up, do it, it will definitely be beneficial in long run??. cant see any negatives??
    I wasn't sure was I able but was happy I could manage it,

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you're capable of holding your own in a faster group, you should certainly give it a go. I guess one of the things you may wish to consider is whether you feel experienced enough to tackle races at a faster speed yet. It comes naturally to some, whereas others may be better learning a bit more "racecraft" in a slower group, ideally with some experienced vets who can show them the ropes

In my case, I've only ever been in the semi-limit group in the Swords League (I was never given the option of limit) - there are some races I could probably handle in the third group, but in others (the hilly ones) I'd soon be dropped. The other thing is I know I can do more than my fair share of work in my current Group, and would not want to be just hanging on to a faster one

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭piobhan

Beasty wrote: »
    If you're capable of holding your own in a faster group, you should certainly give it a go. I guess one of the things you may wish to consider is whether you feel experienced enough to tackle races at a faster speed yet. It comes naturally to some, whereas others may be better learning a bit more "racecraft" in a slower group, ideally with some experienced vets who can show them the ropes

In my case, I've only ever been in the semi-limit group in the Swords League (I was never given the option of limit) - there are some races I could probably handle in the third group, but in others (the hilly ones) I'd soon be dropped. The other thing is I know I can do more than my fair share of work in my current Group, and would not want to be just hanging on to a faster one

ya good point there about being able to work in the group, I did my fair share at the front of the group and pushed hard, Id rather be ale to work with them alright besides just hanging on
    On the experience side im probarly still lacking race experience but the faster pace didnt really bother, its a great buzz in a large group! :D

Advertisement