Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long can I travel for.. jobseekers..

• 22-07-2011 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all.. just firing a quick question across the bow here.. I'm finishing up work here after being employed for the past 23 years.. I want to go and travel around the world.. my question is, how long can I travel for, before I lose my jobseekers allowance. like if I come back in 6 or 12 or 18 months time will I still be entitled to it... many thanks to anyone that can give me a solid answer...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Do you mean claiming it while actually travelling or coming back then claiming it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 johnnyb853

ah when I come back.. I don't know how long I'll be gone for..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Tony10

check citizens info, but i'm pretty sure the most you could leave the country for is 6months, as you have to have paid stamps within the 6months. Then, you have worked for 23 years so it could be a year, so check it up!

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit.html

theres some info there on what you need to qualify

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I think it's 4 years actually but again check out citizen's info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Tony10 wrote: »
    check citizens info, but i'm pretty sure the most you could leave the country for is 6months, as you have to have paid stamps within the 6months.

Re: Jobseekers Benefit:
    The Relevant Tax Year is the second last complete tax year before the year in which your claim is made. So, for claims made in 2011, the Relevant Tax Year is 2009.

Re: Jobseekers Benefit/ Jobseekers Allowance:
    Habitual residence... “A person who had previously been habitually resident in the State and who moved to live and work in another country and then resumes his/her long-term residence in the State may be regarded as being habitually resident immediately on his/her return to the State.”

You may be disqualified from getting Jobseeker's Benefit for 9 weeks if you:
    Left work voluntarily and without a reasonable cause

• Advertisement
Advertisement