Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD drive wont read certain dvd's

Options
  • 21-07-2011 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭

Hoping to find some help with this as its annoying the **** outta me

Certain dvd's just wont play in my drive. They are proper official dvd's (not copied) and some are working and some arent. The dvd's themselves are right for europe (think its zone 2?) so ive no idea what it could be

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

What does it say/do when it won't play?

What drive is it, model No and all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

What does it say/do when it won't play?

What drive is it, model No and all that?

When its not working it says the standard error message 'insert a disc into drive: d'

How would I find out the model number?
    sugarman wrote: »
    What program are you using to view?

VLC is usually what I use but it wont even recognise a disk as being in the drive!

Click start and type in device manager (you may need to click run after start depending on operating system) and the drive model/type (put it up here, there may be a firmware update on the manufacturers site, have a look) will be in there under DVD/CD-ROM Drives. See if you can update device drivers when your in there.

I'm not saying these will work but it's where I'd start.
    A DVD-player needs firmware to know how to read a CD or DVD. But to have it accessed under a operating system like Windows you need a driver to access the CD or DVD or watch a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah if an update doesn't work it wouldn't be worth your while mucking around any more and just get a new dvd drive
    they can be got for very cheap now
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Super-WriteMaster-SH-S223C-DVD%C2%B1RW-DVD-RAM/dp/B002TG3ABE/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1311320353&sr=1-3
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3493866/art/lg/gh22ns50-22x-sata-interna.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

A dirty lens might cause this - also if the DVDs are smudged/scratched .

I would try a lens cleaner , clean the problem DVDs/check for scratches etc . Check for firmware updates as mentioned above . If none of the above helps and other devices can read the discs I'd replace the drive .

• Advertisement

Click start and type in device manager (you may need to click run after start depending on operating system) and the drive model/type (put it up here, there may be a firmware update on the manufacturers site, have a look) will be in there under DVD/CD-ROM Drives. See if you can update device drivers when your in there.

I'm not saying these will work but it's where I'd start.

When I click update hardware settings it just says scanning plug and play compliant hardware for a split second and then disappears without doing anything....does this mean its already at the current update?

nessyguin wrote: »
    A dirty lens might cause this - also if the DVDs are smudged/scratched .

I would try a lens cleaner , clean the problem DVDs/check for scratches etc . Check for firmware updates as mentioned above . If none of the above helps and other devices can read the discs I'd replace the drive .

This is something I have checked across a couple of DVD's that I have tried. The DVD works in my laptop but the PC dvd drive just isnt reading the disk as being in

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

DVD drives use the standard windows optical drive driver, I'm not aware of any manufacturer that writes drivers for optical drives/hard drives. Could there be a copy protection on the DVDs causing it to fail in VLC? I'm not sure if VLC can bypass all of the DVD copy protection solutions, failing that lens clean, update firmware and if all these are exausted buy a new drive, DVD Burners are fairly cheap nowadays and simple to install, make sure to go for one that would suit your computer, if it has a long flat ribbon cable you would be looking for a PATA/IDE drive or a short cable a SATA drive

Nick

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    When I click update hardware settings it just says scanning plug and play compliant hardware for a split second and then disappears without doing anything....does this mean its already at the current update?
    Hmm, I can't check this as I've only a guest account on the machine I'm using:rolleyes:, did you check for firmware updates? There's not much else you can do that's not mentioned on the thread.

Advertisement