Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novel way to boost tourism income

Options
  • 21-07-2011 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭

July 21st 2011
    Swiss holiday makers in camper ( motor caravan, motor home, camping-car) clamped in Cork City.

The picture attached was taken on Sheares Street Cork at about 11.15 am this morning.

The motorhome was one of two Swiss MH's parked up, possibly been there over night as I saw them both there also about an hour earlier.

When I arrived the clamper was just about to put a clamp on the sec ond one but agreed not to if I put one of my own parking disks under the wiper.

It really irritated me to see a fellow MH'r clamped. It is very high handed, particularly when parking discs are not readily available in that area of the city, there is no indication where they can be purchased and the only alternative is a 'parking by telephone' system which is not suitable for visiting tourists.

When I inquired 'city hall' sugested off street parking, but all such paring at surface level is restricted by hight barriers and the rest is multi-story.

I am sure our Swiss visitors, who were away spending their cash in our hard pressed economy will not spread a good message about our city once having paid over the €100 + fees and fines and allowed to continue their holiday by the clamper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rockysdad

Blody Typical:mad::mad: Just goes to show the Greeeeed!!, In this Country of ours.:o:o.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

rockysdad wrote: »
    Blody Typical:mad::mad: Just goes to show the Greeeeed!!, In this Country of ours.:o:o.

Everyone is equal under the law. If you parked your camper or car without a ticket you would be booked.

Yes I feel sorry for them but if you were in their country would you be treated any different because you were a tourist? I doubt it.

The crazy thing is disc parking. What's wrong with pay & display ticket machines ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Everyone is equal under the law. If you parked your camper or car without a ticket you would be booked.

Yes I feel sorry for them but if you were in their country would you be treated any different because you were a tourist? I doubt it.

The crazy thing is disc parking. What's wrong with pay & display ticket machines ?

But, in their country and elsewhere in Europe the parking of MH's is catered for, also easy to understand pay & display operates.

The disk parking in Cork requires visitors who cannot use off-street ticket based parking to hike around the locality in search of a shop which sell the disks with the risk that on return to the vehicle it will already be ticketed and or clamped anyway. It's a bit of a rubbish system where visitors to the city are involved.

Also, what happened this morning is pure discrimination against visitors. If I had committed the same 'offence' all I would have got was a parking ticket for no disc, but the tourist got a 'punishment' many time worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭meercat

niloc1951 wrote: »
    July 21st 2011
    Swiss holiday makers in camper ( motor caravan, motor home, camping-car) clamped in Cork City

When I arrived the clamper was just about to put a clamp on the sec ond one but agreed not to if I put one of my own parking disks under the wiper.

good man
    the other motorhome owner probably didnt realize how lucky he was to have guardian angel
    i dont know yet whether or not im grateful to the clamper but i suppose he did the right thing in the end by not doing the second one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

meercat wrote: »
    good man
    the other motorhome owner probably didnt realize how lucky he was to have guardian angel
    i dont know yet whether or not im grateful to the clamper but i suppose he did the right thing in the end by not doing the second one

He didn't do the right moral thing tho, it was the OP who did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I do feel sorry for them and I hate that parking disk search rigmaroll.

But they wouldn't do it in their own country (albeit that it may be a better system and easier to use etc etc) and they certainly wouldn't let you away with in their country. You would would probably be towed away and your MH crushed and turned into a cow bell (joke). I see the clampers in action all the time in Dublin for cars who have no pay and display or the ticket has expired. It's not a nice feeling to come back to your car to find it clamped.

Fair play to the OP for putting the disk on the MH. You will get that good turn back one of these days hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

I'm all for clamping me but for non payment of disc is utter crap. Everyone with a bit of enforcement power should know how to use their discretion. My local authority would give their eye teeth for some tourism, that clamping for non disc parking is only a racket.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Tut tut. He will be sorry for not using his goggles!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

*Kol* wrote: »
    But they wouldn't do it in their own country (albeit that it may be a better system and easier to use etc etc) and they certainly wouldn't let you away with in their country. You would would probably be towed away and your MH crushed and turned into a cow bell (joke).

When in their country I could simply feed one of their internationally recognisable Pay & Display meters or go to reserved MH parking, some free some pay.

I would not have to go hiking through an unfamiliar city or town, with little or no skills in the local language, looking for a retail outlet to purchase a permit to park, which is in effect what a parking disk is.

The Parking Disk system used here is obviously a 'cheap', but acceptable option for 'locals'. However its limitations should be recognised vis a vis foreign tourists, particularly those using vehicles which are denied access to off street P&D or Ticket parking due to height restrictions at such facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

These guys are getting around, I seen them parked up on the North Quays in Dublin a couple of weeks back.
    I thought they were quiet brave to be parked there as I'd be reluctant to leave my MH there for more than 5mins.

Advertisement