Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why not just attach a caravan to the back of a van chassis?

Options
  • 21-07-2011 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

I often thought about this and then the other day I saw why.
    It sounds like a great idea. The caravan can probably be bought cheap and has everything you could need in it. Find a cheap van chassis and attach it on there.

Actually you can probably do a good job. Unlike the one attached which I saw at the N4 service station (westbound).

I had to laugh as it took the guy 10 minutes to park it. Why he decided to park it beside a car in an empty car park is beyond me and why it took 20+ manoeuvres to reverse it in to a space is also beyond me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Saruman wrote: »
    I often thought about this and then the other day I saw why.
    It sounds like a great idea. The caravan can probably be bought cheap and has everything you could need in it. Find a cheap van chassis and attach it on there.

Actually you can probably do a good job. Unlike the one attached which I saw at the N4 service station (westbound).

I had to laugh as it took the guy 10 minutes to park it. Why he decided to park it beside a car in an empty car park is beyond me and why it took 20+ manoeuvres to reverse it in to a space is also beyond me.

No reason why not except no passengers in the back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

In fairness, it does look a bit retarded.

In fairness, it does look a bit retarded.

Indeed it does when people leave the caravan intact but if you chop off the nose and fair into the cab with fibreglass it could look well. I saw a caravan in roscommon recently think it was a bailey with a square all plastic or grp tail on it that looked 100% like a motorhome from the rear and had seitz windows down the side I reckon it would make an ideal transplant. As my mechanic neighbour says theres nothing you can't do with fibreglass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

paddyp wrote: »
    Indeed it does when people leave the caravan intact but if you chop off the nose and fair into the cab with fibreglass it could look well. I saw a caravan in roscommon recently think it was a bailey with a square all plastic or grp tail on it that looked 100% like a motorhome from the rear and had seitz windows down the side I reckon it would make an ideal transplant. As my mechanic neighbour says theres nothing you can't do with fibreglass.

In that case yes, and I've seen a few of them done. It'll always be obvious that it was a caravan bodged into a van, but there's still no reason why you can't make it look nice tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

certain companies do it , Schwimmelreiter used to . Always thought they looked gack , myself.

• Advertisement

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    certain companies do it , Schwimmelreiter used to . Always thought they looked gack , myself.

I see what you mean they could at least have made the stripes the same on the cab and that brown corner profile really delineates the caravan from the cab, even the grp over the cab is the wrong shape not much effort gone in there.

0197027483001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

That is a lot better looking than the one I saw though.

Advertisement