Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S40 versus Audi A4

Options
  • 21-07-2011 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi,

I have about €6 - €7k to spend on a second hand car, I was initially looking at getting an Audi A4 but was pre-warned about how expensive replacement parts can be.

After looking at websites for a while I got around to thinking an 05/06 Volvo S40 might be the best option as it seems to have better specs but I dont know what these are like reliability wise?

I'd like to buy from a SIMI dealer, diesel preferably but I'd also go for petrol.

Would appreciate any thoughts/recommendations.

Thanks
    RR:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Tito Ortiz

Hi,

I have about €6 - €7k to spend on a second hand car, I was initially looking at getting an Audi A4 but was pre-warned about how expensive replacement parts can be.

After looking at websites for a while I got around to thinking an 05/06 Volvo S40 might be the best option as it seems to have better specs but I dont know what these are like reliability wise?

I'd like to buy from a SIMI dealer, diesel preferably but I'd also go for petrol.

Thanks

I would have thought you would be doing well to get an 05/06 S40 for that price !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

For the price of an A4 with a 1.6 litre petrol or 1.9 litre tractor engine you would probably get an S40 with a lot more spec, including leather and a much better stereo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Hi,

Thanks

Really?

I've gone from a VAG (Skoda) to a Volvo V50 (same as S40) and i've found the Volvo parts to be much more expensive.

2.0D PSA is far far better than the 1.9TDI Tractor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Rusty Rothar

Tito Ortiz wrote: »
    I would have thought you would be doing well to get an 05/06 S40 for that price !

Definitely being ambitious I know, I'm sure I'll end up spending more than the budget but i've seen a few for just north of that figure on Carzone and hope that if I'm paying in cash I'd be able to bargain down

VolvoMan wrote: »
    For the price of an A4 with a 1.6 litre petrol or 1.9 litre tractor engine you would probably get an S40 with a lot more spec, including leather and a much better stereo.

Thanks (with a name like Volvo Man I'm not surprised thats your opinion :)) thats what I was thinking alright.

• Advertisement

Really?

I've gone from a VAG (Skoda) to a Volvo V50 (same as S40) and i've found the Volvo parts to be much more expensive.

2.0D PSA is far far better than the 1.9TDI Tractor though.

Cheers, I'm fairly clueless on cars but willing to learn. I'm guessing a 1.9TDI Tractor means 1.9TDI Volvo? Or are you recommending a PSA over a tractor...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Cheers, I'm fairly clueless on cars but willing to learn. I'm guessing a 1.9TDI Tractor means 1.9TDI Volvo? Or are you recommending a PSA over a tractor...:D

Tractor is the Audi 1.9Tdi
    S40 is the newer PSA diesel.

FWIW OP I wouldn't want to drive an A4 for love nor money. Ride is way too hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Slushfund

I'd go for the S40
    A4 has become a skangers car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Mondeo FTW. Pretty much the benchmark FWD car in it's class.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ronanphilip

I would have thought you would be doing well to get an 05/06 S40 for that price

if you buy private you should be able to get one (petrol at least not sure about diseal) in your price range, plenty on donedeal at that price. i bought a very clean 05 1.8 SE petrol with about 40000 miles on it in feb for 6500 but got a deal off someone i know who owned it from new. mate of mine bought a 06 1.6 petrol one some time after that for short of 5500 altough it wasnt as clean had higher milage and didnt have as many extras.

just as an example one on donedeal for 4950

• Advertisement

Slushfund wrote: »
    Seem to have noticed that since reading your post!

squod wrote: »

Tractor is the Audi 1.9Tdi
    S40 is the newer PSA diesel.

FWIW OP I wouldn't want to drive an A4 for love nor money. Ride is way too hard.
    Cheers, think I'll steer clear of an A4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Just go and test drive both before writing either off.
    If your going for petrol see if you can test the A4 1.8t...not as bad on fuel as you'd expect also available in quattro which would help in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

For value for money I would go for the volvo, but it very much a personal choice. The only major issue with the volvo is the traction control and ABS control unit in the earlier models have a high failure rate, costing about 800 euro to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 horseone

the Volvo is essentially a Ford Focus in drag. No bad thing, cracking chassis.

The 1.6 diesel is PSA while the 2.0 is fords own diesel (from mon previous Mondeo). I believe the PSA 2.0 diesel only appeared in the current shape Mondeo.

Just check you're happy with rear legroom in the Volvo first. They aren't a very large car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,173 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If she is doing alot of town driving or short runs then forget about the diesel. DPFs give terrible grief and a new one will set you back €1000+.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

I'd go for the S40

Get real, a lot of the time its people who cant afford one say things like that. Not the best car out there but they aren't bad either for the average user. S40 wouldn't be my cup of tea but that's just me.

horseone wrote: »
    The 1.6 diesel is PSA while the 2.0 is fords own diesel (from mon previous Mondeo). I believe the PSA 2.0 diesel only appeared in the current shape Mondeo.

It's the other way around. The 2.0D in the S40 is a PSA unit and the one in the current Mondeo is Ford's own engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I got an s40SE 1.8petrol about 6 months ago. Absolutely tonnes of extras, and more safety features than you can shake a stick at. Its very smooth to drive and has fantastic handling, but mine has the 17inch wheel so it can be a bit bumpy on ****e roads. I cannot stress how comfy this car is, it has the best seats i've ever sat in. Does like its petrol when you put the foot down though.

I would pick the volvo because you are getting more for your money, and the a4's aren't exactly huge cars either. In my opinion volvos are underrated. Best to take a testdrive in both and see which suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,173 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's the other way around. The 2.0D in the S40 is a PSA unit and the one in the current Mondeo is Ford's own engine.

The current MkIII Mondeo 2.0 TDCi is a PSA unit. The last Ford inhouse diesel was the 1.8 TDCi which has now been retired since late last year.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    The current MkIII Mondeo 2.0 TDCi is a PSA unit. The last Ford inhouse diesel was the 1.8 TDCi which has now been retired since late last year.

Did this replace the Duratorq unit after the Mk3 Mondeo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Slushfund

I'd go for the S40
    Seem to have noticed that since reading your post!
    teednab-el wrote: »
    Get real, a lot of the time its people who cant afford one say things like that.

I had a brand new A4 1.9tdi in 1996.
    I wouldn’t be seen dead in any A4 now, times have changed.
    Separately though, since when did someone have to be able to afford a car before they can dislike it ?
    Just my opinion of course, based on my own observations. Like most opinions here.
    Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭J77

Stereo in the A4 is better. And I'm comparing it against the 6 disc changer/premium sound system in my S40.

If she is doing alot of town driving or short runs then forget about the diesel. DPFs give terrible grief and a new one will set you back €1000+.

As it's a 4 cylinder diesel of that era it's also subject to possible clutch/DMF failure. That went in mine and the DPF went in my friends.

OP, I was making the same decision a couple of years ago - for me, I was lookinng for a 2006 S40 or A4 in 2009.

I preferred the A4 but I was able to get a well spec'd S40 with the 2l diesel for less than a base spec 1.9tdi A4.

It hasn't been reliable but it's still a good comfy car that handles well for what it is and the interior quality is good.

I'd get the car well checked out and make sure there's a good warranty going with it.

It's actually a pity that Volvo after gaining sales in the S40 by offering the more powerful engine with leather at a lesser price than rivals, have now gone a different strategy with the S60 which only offers leather in top trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

J77 wrote: »

Stereo in the A4 is better. And I'm comparing it against the 6 disc changer/premium sound system in my S40.

As it's a 4 cylinder diesel of that era it's also subject to possible clutch/DMF failure. That went in mine and the DPF went in my friends.

OP, I was making the same decision a couple of years ago - for me, I was lookinng for a 2006 S40 or A4 in 2009.

I preferred the A4 but I was able to get a well spec'd S40 with the 2l diesel for less than a base spec 1.9tdi A4.

It hasn't been reliable but it's still a good comfy car that handles well for what it is and the interior quality is good.

I'd get the car well checked out and make sure there's a good warranty going with it.

It's actually a pity that Volvo after gaining sales in the S40 by offering the more powerful engine with leather at a lesser price than rivals, have now gone a different strategy with the S60 which only offers leather in top trim.

The a4 sound system is better than the 12 speaker 4.1 pro logic2 system in the volvo? Jaysus, I must get a listen off one of those.

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    The a4 sound system is better than the 12 speaker 4.1 pro logic2 system in the volvo? Jaysus, I must get a listen off one of those.

+1

We have an A4 Cabriolet with the Audi Concert stereo and it's not a patch on any Volvo unit I've ever listened to.

Wetbench4 wrote: »

Woops - It's the 6cd "high performance" system in mine - it's the middle range I believe. The premium has a sub if I recall correctly so I would doubt the A4 system is better than that.

The sound system in the A4 was better than mine. Could have been a Bose system like are in many A4s (although probably not in Ireland!) but I don't think it was.

+1

We have an A4 Cabriolet with the Audi Concert stereo and it's not a patch on any Volvo unit I've ever listened to.

Why do you own a non-volvo, VolvoMan? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I had an A4 1.8T and also had an S40 (1.8) for a few days when the current car was undergoing some work.
    The A4 was a much better car IMO - it was quieter and more comfortable.
    Also was a lot quicker off the mark and the range was better in it from what I could remember, probably due to it having a larger fuel tank IIRC (memory is a bit hazy but I think the tank is smaller than the A4 tank).

J77 wrote: »
    Why do you own a non-volvo, VolvoMan? :D

It's not mine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

squod wrote: »
    Ride is way too hard.

:confused: Too hard? If anything, it's on the soft side on the two A4s I have.

S40 is a nice car and no doubt better equipped in general over Irish A4s anyway. Test drive both types and go with whichever you are happier with.

I've no experience of the 1.9 diesel as mine is the 1.8T and my other half's is the 2 litre TDi - both are great cars in their own right. The diesel can achieve 60mpg and has a reasonable turn of pace - bit clattery at low speed but is a very comfortable cruiser. The 1.8T is definitely more refined, has more poke but is heavier on petrol - not horrendous by any means, but don't expect diesel figures. I'd achieve low 40s in terms of mpg at best and that's being gentle on the right foot. It does have a nice bit of acceleration though and I find it very comfortable.

Quality-wise I personally think the A4 is ahead of the Volvo S40, but that's based on only speding a small amount of time in S40s. I think the A4 is hard to beat in terms of quality inside and out.

Parts-wise - I'd imagine the Volvo will be dearer to run. A4s are much more popular and hence parts are cheap, they also share parts with other VAG cars like Skoda, Seat and VW so there's tons of parts available (and tons of non-OEM parts also).

One thing I would recommend is check the service history and general history of an A4 with a fine-tooth comb. Do ALL the checks and walk away if you get the slightest hint of ANYTHING not being right. There are buckets of A4s to choose from, so you will get a good one if you don't rush. So many A4s are UK imports which in itself is not a bad thing (it's actually a good thing when the car is a good one!) - our TDi is a UK import and is in SE trim which was either unavailable here or a rarity - but it also means they are very commonly clocked - so do all your checks. This is good advice for all cars of course, but just be aware that the A4 is a clockers favourite.

Advertisement