Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation of "Stand Proud"

Options
  • 21-07-2011 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Doing a report on languages and Im just looking for a quick translation of "Stand Proud" in Irish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

proud - bródiúl
    stand - seasamh

seas le bród
    seas bródiúil

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shakermaker321

Cliste wrote: »
    proud - bródiúl
    stand - seasamh

seas le bród
    seas bródiúil
    Thamks for reply.
    Which would be the preferred term?

I just learned I could translate it on google translate and I am getting a different answer. "Bródúil as seasamh" is what i'm getting for "Stand Proud"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Thamks for reply.
    Which would be the preferred term?

I just learned I could translate it on google translate and I am getting a different answer. "Bródúil as seasamh" is what i'm getting for "Stand Proud"

Don't trust Google translate. To me 'bródúil as seasamh' means 'proud of standing' or something like that.

Does it have to be 'stand proud' or just some general expression on pride?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shakermaker321

dambarude wrote: »
    Don't trust Google translate. To me 'bródúil as seasamh' means 'proud of standing' or something like that.

Does it have to be 'stand proud' or just some general expression on pride?

Yeah just, "Stand Proud". What would be your preferred definition?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I'm open to correction, but personally I'd say a literal translation of 'stand proud' would be 'Seas go brodúil'. But that might be more like a translation of 'stand proudly'. Others here might have better ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Possibly 'Bíodh mórtas/muinín agat/ionat'. But that's with my own understanding of 'to stand proud'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sudsyboii

id use "seas go bhrodúil"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

sudsyboii wrote: »
    id use "seas go bhrodúil"

Why the 'h' in bródúil?

Advertisement