Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching Graveyards

Options
  • 21-07-2011 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

What is the best way to find ancestors in graveyards? I know my Mullane family lived in Clonmel, Tipperary however, there is more than one cemetery there. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Colleen317 wrote: »
    What is the best way to find ancestors in graveyards? I know my Mullane family lived in Clonmel, Tipperary however, there is more than one cemetery there. Any suggestions?

Easy

http://www.clonmelgraveyards.com/

Fantastic resource.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Colleen317

The Clonmel Graveyard site is wonderful. However, I checked it already. Only tow graveyards are searchable and Mullane does not come up on either one.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Hi Colleen,

What religion were your family and what approx date do you have?

If they were poor and/or Catholic, there may be no headstones at all.

Pinky

Genealogy Forum Mod

I have an old home movie that shows the tall tombstone. It says:
    Pray for the Souls of
    Daniel Mullane
    Clonmel
    Who Died 25 March 1930
    Also his Wife
    Bridgid Mullane
    Who Died 1920
    And Their Daughters
    Julia Horgan
    Who Died 1918
    Bridget Keeton
    Who Died April 1946

I'd like to know where this stone is located. There may be other relatives there also. They were Roman Catholic. Not sure which parish would have been theirs. I know they were married in 1866 in St. Mary's Church (old or new, unsure) and many of their children were baptized in Saints Peter and Paul Church.

If you were able to post some screen shots (take pictures?) or other of this movie, I or somebody else may be able to identify the cemetery if it shows the landscape, etc in the background.

I am very familiar with Clonmel.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I will work on extracting still photos from the DVD of the old home movie.

You can see a video (rather short) of the graveyard I am trying to identify at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXFHEDPcZQg

I'm afraid I can't help you our re. the location of that cemetery. To be honest, it does not look like any of the main ones around Clonmel. There's another headstone in the video too, Pollock, any idea's on this family?

Yes. They were related to the Mullane Family. Brigid (English) Mullane and Mary (English) Pollack were sisters. I don't know too much more than that at this time.

Advertisement