Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hybrid suitable for Ticknock trail?

Options
  • 21-07-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi Lads,

Just found out about this new trail, don't currently have a mountain bike but am considering getting one in the near furure. In the meantime my brother said I could borrow his Lapierre Sand hybrid if I wanted to suss the trail out....

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=32&idproduct=31195

Would it be suitable for Ticknock or will I wreck it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It'll be fine. Just don't go too low on the pressures or you'll risk dinging the rims and getting pinchflats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I wouldn't. Tickknock is has very hard surfaces, lots of rocks, plenty that would wreck hybrid wheels very quickly. If you do take it very easy...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭this_time

Rent a bike from biking.ie. You'll enjoy it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

If you mean the new Metro trails then I would say a definate no! On the fireroads etc it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

Definitely No!
    Try biking.ie they will meet you there with a mountain bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

If your bro reckon's his hybrid will come back with two round wheels after a trip down the Upper trail then i say go for it and have the craic on his bike! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

It really depends on the speed you want to achieve there and your skills. Technically, you could take a road racer and do the trails, if you have skills like this chap here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fSpZNXhU

Just the speed won't be like on a MTB.

And if you have the skills to do it on a road bike or a hybrid, you should definitely hire a good MTB from the guys suggested above. It's going to be a LOT more fun :)

Hmmzis wrote: »
    It really depends on the speed you want to achieve there and your skills. Technically, you could take a road racer and do the trails

Exactly. I've done the sections of the trail on the carpark side on a cross bike with 23mm road tyres. I've done the rest on a hardtail, and I don't remember those bits being more technical.

Don't knock it until you've tried it. And then knock it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Short answer no its not suitable at all, anyone who says other wwise doesn't know too much about MTB or Ticknock.

Rent a bike from trackandtrail.ie for €20

hire-slider-two.jpg

Lumen wrote: »
    Exactly. I've done the sections of the trail on the carpark side on a cross bike with 23mm road tyres. I've done the rest on a hardtail, and I don't remember those bits being more technical.
    Don't knock it until you've tried it. And then knock it. :pac:

I actually wouldn't mind trying it on the cross bike, but thats probably because i own a cross bike and am already sick and twisted. But to someone like the OP i wouldn't in a million hot summers days recommend going near the new trails on a hybrid. Its bad enough with the amount of people whom have split themselves up there already which are mainly due to what i assume is inexperience as the trail is quite fast and unforgiving. If you are going mountaining biking get a mountain bike! And a bloody helmet (i saw two fools up there recently with crappy bikes and no helmets, i felt i had to say something partly because i didnt want to be the one discovering them on the trail with a cracked skull, its hard enough getting time to cycle as it is. Anyway they just grunted so i made sure i got around before them.

• Advertisement

davey101 wrote: »
    I actually wouldn't mind trying it on the cross bike, but thats probably because i own a cross bike and am already sick and twisted. But to someone like the OP i wouldn't in a million hot summers days recommend going near the new trails on a hybrid. Its bad enough with the amount of people whom have split themselves up there already which are mainly due to what i assume is inexperience as the trail is quite fast and unforgiving. If you are going mountaining biking get a mountain bike! And a bloody helmet (i saw two fools up there recently with crappy bikes and no helmets, i felt i had to say something partly because i didnt want to be the one discovering them on the trail with a cracked skull, its hard enough getting time to cycle as it is. Anyway they just grunted so i made sure i got around before them.

That's all very sensible and worthy, but a bunch of us go up there every week with kids as young as four, on bikes ranging from 24" hardtails to BMXs to tiny supermarket BSOs, and there has yet to be an injury any more serious than a scraped knee or a nettle sting. Almost all of the bikes have no suspension.

Safety is about riding within your ability and using the equipment you have sensibly.

I have no doubt a MTB is faster, more fun and more durable, but it is not necessary for just scoping out the trails.

Smaller section tyres just mean you have to run higher pressures, which gives less grip, so you go slower.

Yes you are right, and you clarified my point. "Riding within your ability" I think this is the problem with most people as ticknock is not like any other official trail in the sense that it just puts you straight into fast sweeping trails and i think it has the potential for people to get carried away with themselves and an unskilled rider or unsupervised rider would probably struggle to control an unsuitable bike as opposed to "suitable" one. but then again i am only going on my own experience, and what i have seen.
    I am sure the OP understands what i mean by this stage and is probably educated enough by now as to the differences of riding a trail for the first time on bike that is or is not suitable, its more a concern for the rider i am thinking of and others on the trail.
    If i were to pick a trail to go on with a hybrid i would pick balinastoe.

Since it's Friday, I'll wager my dignity that I could do the Ticknock trail with a Dublin Bike, over the Dublin Blitz race course, in a time no greater than the slowest rider in the Baggy Shorts category (results).

The only condition is that someone records the effort with a headcam. I'd do it myself only I don't own one.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭caze

Thanks for all the replies lads, I think the safest option is the bike hire route! I haven't been off road in about 5 years so i'm deffo a bit rusty, I'll ease myself back into it and hope to get my own proper bike within the next month.

I'll probably pop back in here then to see what people would recommend for a max budget in around the 1k mark.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Since it's Friday, I'll wager my dignity that I could do the Ticknock trail with a Dublin Bike, over the Dublin Blitz race course, in a time no greater than the slowest rider in the Baggy Shorts category (results).

The only condition is that someone records the effort with a headcam. I'd do it myself only I don't own one.

subscribes.

who's for a Boards.ie "Clunker Race" 2 laps of Ticknock on bikes made from scrap parts found in skips? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Thing is a DB would probably stand up to the trail better than a hybrid.

Been meaning to try and set up a "run what ya brung" clunker race for ages.

How would it work? Can't bring anything worth more than €50, prize for the most unsuitable bike to finish. I'll bring the uni-cycle...

caze wrote: »

I'll probably pop back in here then to see what people would recommend for a max budget in around the 1k mark.
    Thanks!

I'll save you the bother, you'll be told to buy the Cayon.:pac:

Take your inspiration from these guys: Link

If they could Race downhill on Klunkerz back in the late 60's and early 70's then even a scrap bike now would be better! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I was up there a few weeks ago, and one of the middle sections was really rocky and rough - very challenging and a bit scary TBH. There's no way a hybrid would be OK up there.

Just noticed this!

....And are you crazeee? :eek: :D

Ballinastoe on a Hybrid?? Maybe you are refering to sticking with the fireroads?
    Certainly doing the upper rocky section is hard enough on a HT mtb with 2.1 tyres...never mind a hybrid, it would be destroyed, even if you were taking it easy!

Ticknock is basically like a narrow fireroad, keep the speed low and your two wheels on the ground on the upper trail and its fine, lower track is a lot more rutted and rocky in comparison...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Short answer no its not suitable at all, anyone who says other wwise doesn't know too much about MTB or Ticknock.

Rent a bike from trackandtrail.ie for €20

hire-slider-two.jpg

I've some Trek Garry Fisher something or the other that looks like the two pictures. Presumably that'd be okay?

LMAO :D
    How about a tandem bike :eek: and i would do it with you, I can arrange the camera.

Advertisement