Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting a rescue

Options
  • 21-07-2011 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

II have had concerns for a long time about how a rescue is operating. Since a few recent threads have come up recently about questionable rescues and how they finance their organisations I feel the need to do something rather than just ranting.

Would I report them to revenue? Would anything be done? Is there any point?

Would it be better to write to a newspaper for someone to investigate....would they care ?

Its difficult when on the outside a rescue seems to do so much for animals, that it seems tastless to try and discredit them and not something many people want to be involved in.

But I feel uncomfortable knowing that so many people are giving their hard earned money to what they think is a good cause but is in fact just funding an expensive lifestyle. I get so annoyed when other genuine rescues are struggling to get by.

I think that this rescue should be closed and held accountable for all money taken in. I am taking about huge amounts of money not just 20 euro here and there I am talking hundreds of thousands.

Is there a way that you can ask for an official investigation of how a group is operating?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Sassy58

I know where your coming from and what you mean Suzi but suppose the hard part is proving anything - books can be cooked invoices produced - I think it comes down to gathering some hard evidence and using that as a starting point.

As for Revenue I am sure they would be interested in the monies obtained by some people especially if they are not a charity. I amazed at how quickly people hand over money without questioning where it is going and how it is going to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Hi,

I don't really have a huge amount of information for you but I can hopefully point you in the right direction.

I would think that http://www.wheel.ie/ would be the best people to contact regarding the questions asked in your post. They are the information hub and network for everything regarding charities and voluntary organisations (I suppose you could view them as similar to citizens information for charities/voluntary organisations).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

suziwalsh wrote: »
    Would I report them to revenue? Would anything be done? Is there any point?

Would it be better to write to a newspaper for someone to investigate....would they care ?

Is the rescue in question listed as being tax compliant? Not all rescues are registered as charities (inasmuch as you can in Ireland), some may be registered with the CRO as a business, which is perfectly acceptable, to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

If you're afraid that they're fraudulant with money then you'd have to contact the revenue, all accounts have to be submitted to the revenue every year and are public so anyone can see them but if it's cruelty to animals then you'd have to go to the ISPCA inspectors or the dog wardens I think.

Other than that, if you're 100% sure of the dodgy dealings, it'd be educating as many people as you can not to give money to the rescue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Thanks all, have already started my complaints. It is a revenue matter and not cruelty. Not registered as charity and not complying to business regulations either....lots of money going "astray" not enough to dogs :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Before this goes any further I suggest that the name of this rescue be kept off the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

suziwalsh wrote: »
    Thanks all, have already started my complaints. It is a revenue matter and not cruelty. Not registered as charity and not complying to business regulations either....lots of money going "astray" not enough to dogs :(

Yeah that sounds like a revenue matter alright. I'd say they'd take it very seriously in the current financial climate if the group is not registered either as a business or a charity. Would you mind PMing me the name so I know not to donate? (Only if it's allowed by Mods, not sure of the rules about that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

No worries I wasn't intending on discussing the name of organisation...and hopefully Ill have enough information to get them shut down. What they are doing is definately no ok, just hope someone listens. Any further advice or anything anyone can think of would be appreciated.

Thanks for advice and have been on to revenue and wheels.ie

Will update if I get anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

This is not the advice that I would wish to be giving but I would go the press route. I would contact a journalist with a reputation for covering animal welfare issues. It could be that this organisation are up to no good but they may be very good at concealing it or the regulations may be loose enough that they are not doing anything illegal.

Discodog wrote: »
    This is not the advice that I would wish to be giving but I would go the press route. I would contact a journalist with a reputation for covering animal welfare issues. It could be that this organisation are up to no good but they may be very good at concealing it or the regulations may be loose enough that they are not doing anything illegal.

Trial by media, then?
    That could get very messy.
    Perhaps the prudent thing to do is see if you can find concrete evidence of your assertions before you go to the press. Innocent til proven guilty etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

DBB wrote: »
    Trial by media, then?
    Perhaps the prudent thing to do is see if you can find concrete evidence of your assertions before you go to the press. Innocent til proven guilty etc.

No. Investigation by a good investigative journalist. It can be very difficult to get evidence & it can take a long time. Not an easy thing for anyone without experience & a lot of time on their hands.

Discodog wrote: »
    DBB wrote: »
    Trial by media, then?

No. Investigation by a good investigative journalist. It can be very difficult to get evidence & it can take a long time. Not an easy thing for anyone without experience & a lot of time on their hands.

Surely the revenue commissioners are the first port of call? I think they may have plenty of investigative experience!

Advertisement