Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID Sparrow with Orange Head

Options
  • 21-07-2011 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi, I don't know what these birds are but they look very like sparrows with orange on top of their heads down to the beak. The orange is present in both male and female birds. Male and female colouration is, apart from the orange, similar to ordinary sparrows.
    Does anybody know what they are? Google didn't help much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭1squidge

Could be pollen on the Sparrows head. Ger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Are you sure it's not a female blackcap?

blackcap3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

could it be sparrows taking pollen/nectar from Kniphofia/pokers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Redpoll?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUTMcie_damqe7hmpgbOVqkbt-J7_-NNizkDeAt2GBISagAbCe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

There were some odd coloured redpolls around, captive birds that escaped. We had a 'yellowpoll' in our garden. Could this be something similar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Article by Birdwatch Ireland on new orange headed birds ;)
    New Zealand Flax pollen apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I have that plant in my garden but I've no Starlings or Sparrows :(
    Maybe that's why I've so many moths ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Group Theory Rocks

Thanks for all the replies, I'm pretty sure that the sparrows have been feeding on the invasive plant New Zealand Flax, as suggested in the article linked by littlebug. I think this plant has been around for a while, so I don't know why orange-headed birds seem to be a more recent phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

Here's some more with unusual coloured heads, they're some sort of starlings I think. I photographed them in my garden about a week ago.
    P1010186+copy1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Here's some more with unusual coloured heads, they're some sort of starlings I think. I photographed them in my garden about a week ago.
    P1010186+copy1.JPG

Adult starlings with some of this season's fledged starlings.

The lighter coloured ones are the young birds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭pops

I've seen starlings in the garden feeding on the nectar in the flowers of the NZ Flax coming out with little yellow caps from the pollen.

Advertisement