Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Boards.ie gone mad?

Options
  • 21-07-2011 2:20am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭

. . . . Probably :D

I'm sure a lot of you (the posters and followers of A&PI) have noticed by this stage that my user name has been em'big'inated. Trust me I'm as surprised as you are! I've started this thread here as I get the impression a lot of posters avoid the Off-Topic Forum at all costs, I don't blame you to be honest!

First of all thanks to all of you who offered congrats in the Off-Topic thread:
    TillyGirl wrote: »
    YEEAAHHHH congrats (is that the right word?!)

I'm not sure if it is the right word, I imagine this is what congrats for an unplanned pregnancy feels like :pac:

So it all started yesterday morning when I got a fairly to the point PM from a C-Mod. I was in a hurry so pressed the off button and went to work :p. I thought about it a bit and somewhat reluctantly agreed, then got swamped with a heap of information. I'm not to sure how this is all going to pan out but I'll see what happens as I go along.

They've moved all my buttons around so it's really just a matter of time before I edit or delete someone's post or something by accident, if it happens to be yours - apologies in advance!

I'm not exactly lying around all day with nothing to do and as a poster and reader of the forum, I'm pretty selective about what I click on so please keep in mind that just because you have seen something it doesn't mean I have. If it's canine or equine related I'll probably click on a thread eventually, otherwise I probably won't. Apparently (:p) there is a whole sub-forum dedicated to terrarium dwellers which I think I've been in twice. So basicly if you have an issue I can't do anything about it unless I know about it.

So why am I doing this?

1. They caught me off guard.

2. I'm far too easily distracted by shiny things (Do you like my new star?)

3. It's part of my plan for world domination.

4. I've been posting in here for a while now and I honestly haven't found a better and more varied collection of sources of animally-type information all in the same place anywhere else. I've learnt loads from the posters here who contribute to the various threads, so maybe its fair that I should try to give something back (or at least have a go at it and see how it works out)

What next?

Who knows? I plan to make it all up as I go along :o, at least to start with till I figure out what's what and who's who.

What's going to change?

In personal terms - as little as possible. Mod posts will be completely distinguishable from my usual posts as far as possible, which will continue. I would 'hope' that no-one is put off replying to 'normal poster' posts in the way they normally would because of a name in bold letters ;). I may be in danger of developing a split personality but I think I'll take the risk all the same. There will be some 'tweaks' though, I'll be much more selective about thumbs-upping posts for a start, (I might have to seek professional help for this addiction). If I generally agree with your opinion and I stop thanking your posts, don't be offended it just says much more if a name in bold letters is seen as supporting a particular post.

In forum terms - I'm much more of an organiser than anything else so I'll start off in my comfort zone. First things first, usually the first post at the top of the forum is the Off-Topic/Feedback thread, it's a pretty poor introduction to the forum as it stands at the minute. At some stage over the weekend it will be unstickied and locked (if I can figure out how to do it!). I'll start a new thread for Feedback/Forum Issues/Venting and Rants. It will be linked somewhere in the Charter/FAQ threads.
    Whispered wrote: »
    Can HR or a new mod please please please do something about "the problem with this forum" type posts. Please.

These type of posts will be edited and the poster directed to Feedback/Forum Issues/Venting and Rants. At least on my part anyway but I'm not following any protocol I'm making it up as I go along.

I'm leaving this thread till Friday then locking it, please use it to let me know if you are happy, outraged, indifferent or otherwise to the appointment and choice of new mods, particularly those of you who are not so inclined to voice your opinion. So long as the language isn't too 'colourful'.

Do think Hellrazer's going to be okay with all this? :p I've been let off the leash and my recalls not so good. :D

Thanks Muchly,

AJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Congratulations!!

I'm giving my vote of approval anyway :D I think you'll make a great addition to the mod team, I've always found your posts very helpful and sensible!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Do think Hellrazer's going to be okay with all this? :p I've been let off the leash and my recalls not so good. :D

Thanks Muchly,

AJ

I thought you had just called HR Mulchy :eek: my first thought was that you were sitting at your computer thinking that you may as well go mad now that he can't ban you. :o
    I'm leaving this thread till Friday then locking it, please use it to let me know if you are happy, outraged, indifferent or otherwise to the appointment and choice of new mods, particularly those of you who are not so inclined to voice your opinion. So long as the language isn't too 'colourful'.

I'm not adverse to voicing my opinion but wanted to reitterate my congrats. I hope you'll be able to continue enjoying the forum as much as ever and that it doesn't become a chore for you. I can't think of a better mod tbh. So delighted to see you modding and thrilled that SP is back too.

Now you mentioned the SS - I do hope you were joking and will do it again this year. :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I thought you had just called HR Mulchy :eek: my first thought was that you were sitting at your computer thinking that you may as well go mad now that he can't ban you. :o

Mulchy makes a differnece to what some users call me ;)
    As for banning AJ--I can still do but now she has the power to unban herself :)

I'm not adverse to voicing my opinion but wanted to reitterate my congrats. I hope you'll be able to continue enjoying the forum as much as ever and that it doesn't become a chore for you. I can't think of a better mod tbh. So delighted to see you modding and thrilled that SP is back too.

I think the return of Star pants and AJ as a new mod will be absolutely brilliant for the forum.
    Now you mentioned the SS - I do hope you were joking and will do it again this year. :pac:

Here if your involved with the SS Id be worried if I was going to brek any rules ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Yeah, I think someone might have to help me with that. I think it was pretty much going off this forum anyway to a social group. There's also SP's fancy Christmas forum ;) (not that she knows anything about the SS yet :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Yeah, I think someone might have to help me with that. I think it was pretty much going off this forum anyway to a social group. There's also SP's fancy Christmas forum ;) (not that she knows anything about the SS yet :p)

I dont mind helping with it if you need a hand :)

I hope you can continue to post here as much as you do AJ, I'm guessing you will probably have to tone it down a bit as you are a mod now but it would be a shame to lose your everyday contribution to the forum.

It was very nice to see SP posting yesterday, welcome back :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 ohmfg

Well, I don't know anyone here as I'm a complete newbie but for what it's worth, congrats and good luck in the new position:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I dont mind helping with it if you need a hand :)

Famous last words . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

fabulous news. congrats. looking forward to your changes and whatnot in the forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Iv already said it but congrats AJ and of course welcome back star pants! :D

Just hope you don't go all gung ho now that your a mod and still remain the fairly level headed knowledgable and helpful poster that you always were! :D
    *watches her head swell*

I know I said I'd leave this here till today but I might leave it a little longer.

Opinions

There are some things I'd like to see happening but tbh it's down to all the posters to help it along. It's my philosophy that your own opinion has a lot more value if you are open or at least tolerant of the fact that others might not share your views. I'm going to try to ease in gently here but I'd like to put this into force. There is a bit of talk going on about 'opinion ramming', some of this is basicly just down to how some seem to come across and how other's perceive it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I'm going to making a huge effort to try to cut down on opinion 'slatting'.

Diversificaton

Everything thing isn't always rainbow's and snowdrops in the world of animals as we all know, however it isn't all doom and gloom either and personally I feel that the fourm at times isn't balanced to reflect the true balance of these two. This may be because people tend to come here because they have a problem they want advice on. I'd like to see more of the avid followers of the forum come out of the woodwork a little more and feel comfortable that they are not asking 'stupid questions'. Let's be honest, there is no such thing as a stupid question. I'm sure there are a vast number of people around here who do 'stuff' with their dogs. I know some are involved in different dog sports, showing, assistance dogs, therapy dogs and so on. I'd like to see more threads on these subjects and I may well be sending a few PMs to people who I know are involved in them as encouragement to get the ball rolling. A big part of this goes though is going to depend on people other than the core group who regularly contribute. If you are interested in a particular subject and know absolutely nothing about it don't be afraid or hesitant to ask. Obviously it isn't going to last long though if all these things are started at the same time, as the subject matter is likely to dry up. Other suggestions might be anyone who is taking their dog to obedience classes or training alone, maybe someone can start a thread where a load of people can discuss their progress and methods etc.

Cliques

Pros, Antis, Regulars etc. are all words that thrown around to much tbh. If I can avoid it all, I won't be using the term 'regular posters' if I do it'll be referring to anyone who follows the forum on an ongoing bases whether they post in every thread, once a month, or even less. It feels a bit like an American high school in here sometimes with all the 'groups' whether or not they actually exist or are just percieved.

Hunting

Let me clear this up. The hunting forum is a much more compact and closely knit community than this one, that's down to the subject matter it's self and the fact that there is less variation within the topic. Please take that on board. A lot of the members from the hunting forum have shown an interest in this one, and it isn't surprising that they do. I'd like to see them being made a bit more welcome, and I'm talking about outside of whether hunting should be banned type threads. It would be great if we could get to the point where we have threads in here relating to gun dog training etc. but I'm well aware that would take some doing. I want to see an end to the general assumptions that hunting dogs are not as well looked after as pets, there is good and bad in every walk of life. If you want any clarification on this I suggest you go and look for the thread on gun dogs that I started on the hunting forum a while back and have a read of it without messing it up by asking demanding questions on it.

I have a bit more to add but I need to turn up to work today so I'll come back to this later ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Oh wow!! Well done AJ....loving seeing your name in bold and all your shiny stars. Couldnt have picked a better Mod myself. Delighted ;)
    Soooo looking forward to SS this year...great fun last xmas! Will gladly help out more with it nearer the time (seeing as its only July and all :p)!

Yay! We have a new cool Mod :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SS = SSF? Or are you taking the whole "welcome our new overlords" thing a bit too far? :P

Also, the more the merrier.

What is ssf?

ss = secret santa. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TonyFella

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eyeore

Congrats AJ. I visit this forum fairly often for a read but I rarely post. I think you will make a great mod as you always offer good advice to posters and you are a good organiser. Best of luck and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Well done AJ (just dont delete any of my comments and i'll back you up) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

What is ssf?

Sex & Sexuality Forum

AJ denies it but we all know what she means :D

oooooh I see.

Some confusion there then - Pet SS - :eek::eek::eek:

Way to kill my lovely thread people!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Nah. We are just pointing out, for those that don't know you, that you have a good sense of humour & fun

• Advertisement

I'm quite sure you don't know me either, nothing in Galway except a load of stupid rocks, what would I be doing there?

:P

I really need to stop breaking stuff :rolleyes:

Though I quite like the way that post looks now with the reason for editing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

I really need to stop breaking stuff :rolleyes:

Congratulations :)

Justask wrote: »
    Congratulations :)

First time i've been congratulated for breaking stuff, but thanks anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

I know I said I'd leave this here till today but I might leave it a little longer.

Opinions

There are some things I'd like to see happening but tbh it's down to all the posters to help it along. It's my philosophy that your own opinion has a lot more value if you are open or at least tolerant of the fact that others might not share your views. I'm going to try to ease in gently here but I'd like to put this into force. There is a bit of talk going on about 'opinion ramming', some of this is basicly just down to how some seem to come across and how other's perceive it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I'm going to making a huge effort to try to cut down on opinion 'slatting'.

Diversificaton

Everything thing isn't always rainbow's and snowdrops in the world of animals as we all know, however it isn't all doom and gloom either and personally I feel that the fourm at times isn't balanced to reflect the true balance of these two. This may be because people tend to come here because they have a problem they want advice on. I'd like to see more of the avid followers of the forum come out of the woodwork a little more and feel comfortable that they are not asking 'stupid questions'. Let's be honest, there is no such thing as a stupid question. I'm sure there are a vast number of people around here who do 'stuff' with their dogs. I know some are involved in different dog sports, showing, assistance dogs, therapy dogs and so on. I'd like to see more threads on these subjects and I may well be sending a few PMs to people who I know are involved in them as encouragement to get the ball rolling. A big part of this goes though is going to depend on people other than the core group who regularly contribute. If you are interested in a particular subject and know absolutely nothing about it don't be afraid or hesitant to ask. Obviously it isn't going to last long though if all these things are started at the same time, as the subject matter is likely to dry up. Other suggestions might be anyone who is taking their dog to obedience classes or training alone, maybe someone can start a thread where a load of people can discuss their progress and methods etc.

Cliques

Pros, Antis, Regulars etc. are all words that thrown around to much tbh. If I can avoid it all, I won't be using the term 'regular posters' if I do it'll be referring to anyone who follows the forum on an ongoing bases whether they post in every thread, once a month, or even less. It feels a bit like an American high school in here sometimes with all the 'groups' whether or not they actually exist or are just percieved.

Hunting

Let me clear this up. The hunting forum is a much more compact and closely knit community than this one, that's down to the subject matter it's self and the fact that there is less variation within the topic. Please take that on board. A lot of the members from the hunting forum have shown an interest in this one, and it isn't surprising that they do. I'd like to see them being made a bit more welcome, and I'm talking about outside of whether hunting should be banned type threads. It would be great if we could get to the point where we have threads in here relating to gun dog training etc. but I'm well aware that would take some doing. I want to see an end to the general assumptions that hunting dogs are not as well looked after as pets, there is good and bad in every walk of life. If you want any clarification on this I suggest you go and look for the thread on gun dogs that I started on the hunting forum a while back and have a read of it without messing it up by asking demanding questions on it.

I have a bit more to add but I need to turn up to work today so I'll come back to this later ;).

There are a lot of the lads/ladies from the hunting section who read the AP section of boards, we may not agree with each other when it comes to the subject matter of hunting in its self but we all have to go through the basics of training a dog to sit, stay and recall. Our dogs health, common problems such as cuts, nail breaks, injuries, grooming and in a lot of cases illness due to old age. I know personally I learn a lot reading the threads here, I may not comment in many but I like many others read them every day.

AJ when you posted in the hunting section you were given a lot of avenues to try and contact details to get you started by a lot of lads who knew you were one of the main posters in AP but to us that doesn't matter. You asked a reasonable question and were treated with respect.It is a bit of a put off for many of us when we are reading posts by users who rather use name calling, i reported a post like that a while back and well it is still there, or be told to go back to the hunting section why are we here. Its a bit like me referring to users here as townies or peta brigade which is just not the case.
    I know there is a lot of mistrust on both sides and there are certain posters from both camps who will never see good in the other side, but there are a few of us who do see both sides of the equation and try to put our side of things across in a reasonable manner, so from the hunting section congrats on your promotion and will be like many others reading this section with interest.

I've no idea what I wanted to add, I was on a roll when I started but it's completely left me now. . . :rolleyes:

It's great to see some new posters in the forum the past few days and some of the names that are often seen at the bottom of main page and in feedback threads now posting in various other threads also. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

congrats a j always found your posts to be fair and informed well %99 anyway:D:D

Think this has served it's purpose now, locking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement