Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a child psychology book

Options
  • 21-07-2011 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a book that details the psychological development of children from birth to 6 or 7 years of age?

Im particularly interested in the area of language acquisition and cognitive development.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Cognitive stuff was definitively my weakness in college :p but I really enjoyed Margaret Donaldson's book Children's Minds. She looks at the some of the theories of Piaget. Easy enough read. She focused on cognitive development, if I remember rightly she looked at the school years and the gap between different kids starting school. (You've just inspired me to go back to this book :D)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

The Developing Child (Bee & Boyd) is reasonable, but saying that I haven't studied the whole book. It covers different developmental topics, but wouldn't be particularly academic (I came across it in a teacher training course).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Lifespan Development by the above authors was the textbook we used in our Developmental module last semester, would recommend it.

Advertisement