Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hybrid or MTB?

Options
  • 20-07-2011 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Have been toying with getting a second bike. First I thought Id take the chance to upgrade my tri bike and get something a bit tastier. I have a Trek 1000 thats about 5 years old but the more Ive thought about it with having young kids Ive decided to get either a mountain bike or a hybrid.

Hybrids are completely alien to me and I guess the biggest decision I need to make first is either a mountain bike or a hybrid.

I dont intend to be climbing mountains or doing big downhills but I still want to be able to ride through the local forest park with the kids ( I dont know what hybrids are capable of to be honest).

Then my next choice is manfacturer. As its going to be on the B2W scheme I dont mind spending up to the limit (less would be nice)

As I can get 10% at Halfords and Ive heard they give a further discount for b2w I was going to look at the CBoardman bikes. Are they any good.

My other options seem to be Felt/Trek or Cube (from the other big cycle shops I know of).

Anyone got any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

FWIW, you don't need a MTB or even a hybrid to do light to medium off-roading with young kids. Road bikes with slicks will cope fine.

So you really have a choice of anything you want. It really depends how fast the kids are and whether you'll be using it for anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

kids are 4 and 2 lol so not fast.

I couldnt imagine taking my road bike through the forest park near me even with bigger tyres, another reason is I dont want to have to put cleats on every time I go cycling with them and all the hassles wearing cleats presents with kids etc

The more I think about it the more my mind gets melted over hybrid vs mtb lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

If it were me I'd buy a hardtail MTB and look at Canyon.
    It'll be nicer off road and you have a road bike for the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

There's nothing wrong with hybrids (some of them are actually quite nice) but I've never really seen the point. They don't do anything especially well, ok alround but still all compromise.
    If I wanted something that could handle roads as well as park-pathways with kids I either use a standard road bike or else a touring bike or cyclo-cross bike with semi-slicks. A touring bike or cyclo-cross bike might be more expensive than a hybrid but if you want to go for the cheapest option then using the bike you already have is free.

Mountain bike is also a good option as it opens up a whole new world of cycling to you.

any links to Canyon dealers?

As I get a discount and there is one close to me Im going to check out the mtb and hybrid Boardman bikes in Halfords.

Im also going to check out cyclesuperstore in Tallaght and look at the Cube MTB.

The Boardman would be cheaper overall (itll come out my pay monthly so not sure id notice a 50 diference overall) but I dont mind going up to the limit for a good bike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

Surely anything at all will do to ride in the forest park with the kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Canyon only sell online directly from the canyon website, google them. Be sure you know what size you need before hand if you're going to be buying online but otherwise I've heard great things about canyon.

mikerd4 wrote: »
    any links to Canyon dealers?

As I get a discount and there is one close to me Im going to check out the mtb and hybrid Boardman bikes in Halfords.

Im also going to check out cyclesuperstore in Tallaght and look at the Cube MTB.

The Boardman would be cheaper overall (itll come out my pay monthly so not sure id notice a 50 diference overall) but I dont mind going up to the limit for a good bike

Probably wont find a better deal than this. If you're in the higher tax bracket this is an even better deal on BTW.

That certainly looks the part! Id have to enquire in work about buying from them instead of going through the scheme here though. My other issue is how do I get measured up correctly. I guess I could just go in to a bike store here and ask for a correct sizing etc

The options I had in MTB's were

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=232&idproduct=39986

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_777757_langId_-1_categoryId_212589

http://www.wheelworx.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=161_165_166&product_id=3435

or

http://www.wheelworx.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=161_165_166&product_id=3450

Out of those I'd have the Cube but if you can get the Canyon I still feel that's the one I'd have.

• Advertisement

The girl who looks after the scheme is away at the moment but it looks like I have to stick to places that accept the one4all bikes4work vouchers. Cyclesuperstore do so Im going to take a spin down there over the weekend and see what the Cube is like.

Pity none of the places Ive found do Canyon bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

mikerd4 wrote: »
    The girl who looks after the scheme is away at the moment but it looks like I have to stick to places that accept the one4all bikes4work vouchers. Cyclesuperstore do so Im going to take a spin down there over the weekend and see what the Cube is like.

Pity none of the places Ive found do Canyon bikes

There is no such thing as a Canyon dealer. They only sell direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

I think you should get a 29er, they are the way forward :)

Advertisement