Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Groomers

Options
  • 20-07-2011 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Last night I saw a Doberman, who had his nails cut in a groomers. He only got his front paws done. Out of the 8 nails cut, all of them bled.
    The poor owner was distraught. She said there was blood everywhere.
    Now my question is, how in the name of God would a groomer not know how far to cut the nails. The groomer in question said it was because the nails were black, so she could'nt see where to cut.
    Would'nt it have made more sense to chip away very slowley until you could see where to stop. She actually cut half way up the nail. I bet the next time the dog has to have his nails, he will put up a fight.
    Plus this groomer is a member of the groomers assocation, so you would think she would know what she is doing.
    Ok rant over.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Omg thats awful the poor dog must have been in some pain with that.

My dog, a rottweiler has black nails and i can clip them without any hassle if or when i needed to. I dont need to do them anymore as they wear down naturally from exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

That is ridiculous, I hope the owner is going to complain to the groomers association.

I always use the clippers with the little thing you can put underneath the blade, to stop you cutting too far, then gradually do a little bit more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

That is really upsetting!
    For goodness sake, is he the only dog in the world with black nails? You'd have to question this groomer's level of training, wouldn't you?
    For the sake of other black-nailed dogs on her client list, I hope the owner complains to the groomers association. Poor dog... and testament to his good nature that he actually let her do 8 toes!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

that is terrible .never bring your dogback there,blacknails is no excuse its just as easy to see the dull part of the nailon a black nail. is the dog ok now??
    just realised its not your dog...thats what i get for speeding tru the post:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

grinder is the only way if your nor comfortable doing it.about 20 euro;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

Please report them to the groomers association, thats awful, never heard of that happening before. Poor dog must have been in agony. My husband does our Bichon grant it her nails are white but the nerve is quite far upnever has she bled. Cant believe a proffessional would do this on all 8 nails. Please report them to save other 'Black Nailed' breeds from suffering.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

pokertalk wrote: »
    grinder is the only way if your nor comfortable doing it.about 20 euro;)

I agree. I used to use one on a parrot !

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭hpsheba

The groomer was lucky the dog didnt go for her. I am a groomer and don't get me wrong it can happen especially with a dogs with really long unkempt nails BUT to have 8 of the nails cut bleed, the dog must have been howling the place down plus jumping around trying to get away from the groomer.:eek:

Was the dogs owner there while the nails were being cut and why didnt she stop the groomer from continuing???? Any groomer who has been properly trained knows how to cut black nails in fact in my last place of work I used to get the local vet sending dogs to me as he didnt like to do it :rolleyes:

Anyway I would advise anyone going to a groomers for anything to be done to their dog to check the groomers qualifications and experience for a start and I think that after reading this post you should ask are they happy and experienced in cutting black nails if your dog has them. Some groomers are self thought and are brilliant and others have qualifications and are lousy so if you are looking for a groomer ask around and see who your friends and neighbours are happy with in your area.

On the point of using a grinder instead of a nail clippers I would say be carefull. I had a dog in to me that has gotten serious blood poisoning from their owner using one as they grinded the nail back too far and from what they vet told them dirty fragments of nail got into the blood system. Two toes ended up having to be removed as they got so infected so if you are using one go slowly and easily.

Hope the dog is ok now and not too sore and that he will let someone near his feet again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

That's nothing short of disgraceful really, the poor dog:( Definitely encourage the owner to report the groomer if she hasn't already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

That's really bad :( I'm a groomer too and sometimes you do cut one or two that bleed, but usually not . . . but not all of them! If one bleeds then you learn not to cut the next one so far.

And you stop the bleeding before sending the dog home. I don't know if this groomer did that or not . . .

Poor dog :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement