Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First 100km Cycle

Options
  • 20-07-2011 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi,

Going for my 1st 100km cycle on saturday. Have done 50 but that's the most, and would like to test myself a little.

Have researched the wind (cheating?!) and it will be blowing south, so thinking about getting the train to Dundalk and starting around there. Back to Dublin. Possibly head over to Carlingford to add a few kms. Has anyone cycled Dundalk-Dublin (or vice versa) and if so, any comments on any places to avoid etc?!

Do most people dress warm going out? I will probably just wear my jersey/shorts, but part of me is wondering if I should wear my underarmour top and leggings underneath.

Also, since we're getting the train to Dundalk and cycling back (instead of doing a round trip), could you get away with wearing just your cycling shoes with cleats, or would you damage them? would I have to bring a bag with some light shoes for when Im in the station and on the train?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

There's a thread on it :)

Researching wind, weather etc isn't cheating (it's essential) and your idea sounds like a good one.

As alternatives you could take the coast road down through Clogherhead, Drogheda, Balbriggan, Skerries, Rush, and back into Dublin

or

Go inland a bit and come back via Ardee, Collon, Slane - then I'd work my way over along the south bank of the Boyne to Donore then on to Duleek, Julianstown and then on into Dublin - this way is a lot hillier though!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

As for clothing - I'll only wear leggings if the temperature remains below around 8 degrees, and a base layer if the temperature remains below 15. But everyone if different.

I still haven't decided if I prefer to be cold starting out, and too hot after 30 minutes or vice-versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

depends if you can carry gear on your bike as in big saddle bag.take a rain jacket if will keep you warm if it does turn cold personally i would take (WARE) arm and leg warmers.
    from dundalk head south to castlebelligham/annagassis/togher/turnleft head for the sea to clogherhead to termonfeckin to baltray have lunch in baltray golf club to drogheda balbriggan skerries rush lusk and finally dublin.
    that route is pretty well flat all the way;)
    or what you could do is do the mid louth tour you can cover your 100km on that meet up with some great people have a shower some sambos and soup then head back to dublin. and it will be a nice run .;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Neverlandland

Thanks for the replies.

I think id rather start too cold than be too warm.

I dont have a saddle bag, and am not sure if I want to wear a bag on my back. Cant be great for your back anyway when you're bent over on a saddle.

I have a rain jacket that I can attach around my waist, but its a bit gimmicky, and im not sure it would keep me dry or warm. i'd rather my thermals in the rain, but dont have anywhere to put them if its too warm.

HAs anyone else ever done something like this? The shoes is my main worry. Part of me thinks that I should buy a cheap pair of sandals for 3 euro and then dump them when I reach there. That I could wear the cleats out or even worse, the shoes. The other (cheap) part of me says that I could get away with the bike shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 garstmax

FWIW
    I use MTB shoes, there easier to walk on. I got a pai at my LBS for about €50.

• Advertisement
Advertisement