Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squirrel Problems

Options
  • 20-07-2011 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Not much of an animal lover but Im just after finding a dead squirrel in my garden just beside a very very thick evergreen type tree.

He had obvious cuts and marks on his neck and I could nearly bet my life on it that it was the stray cat which is never out of the garden the past day or two.

Anyway, theres noise coming from the tree and it doesnt sound like any kind of bird Ive heard and Im wondering is it a nest?

Any groups I can call to get it removed...????

ANd seen as its after 6, any ideas on how to keep them safe during the night from the cat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

gray squirrel or red?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lake.enforce

Grey....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Im wondering is it a nest?
    Quite possibly.
    wrote:
    Any groups I can call to get it removed...????
    Why would you want their drey removed if it is?If its doing damage to your tree and you consider them vermin then ok but squirrels and cats are a fair match for each other so if its not bothering you in general then id leave them to it.
    wrote:
    any ideas on how to keep them safe during the night from the cat.
    Removing it for this reason...isnt a reason to be honest. The Grey Squirrel is the hardier of the 2 squirrel species granted and its a well known fact that its introduction has been responsible for the demise of the Red, but ..and im probably completely biased here because i find them incredibly cute regardless of colour like i do with all rodents.

If they're not causing you,your property or your animals any harm id leave them be tbh.Squirrels only breed once or twice a year as compared to a rat for example who can breed half a dozen times or more. If its for "population control" then its not a valid reason and id leave it be. Nature does not always have to be meddled with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

id leave them at it so, if it was red squirrel id say get rid of the cat!

Advertisement