Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any hope for my peppers?

Options
  • 20-07-2011 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

Damn this Irish weather. I don't have the luxury of a greenhouse. Though I do have a lovely bright window ledge. My pepper plants are lush and beautiful but only now beginning to flower. Is it too late for them or does anyone think they will produce a bountiful crop? i'm still hoping for a long dose of extreemly hot sunny weather but if it continues as is, well should i give up all hope?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Blue Punto

i have a greenhouse and none of my peppers have really come on this year nor have my tomatoes but im not giving up as a few of them have fruit on them just not that big.

on the other hand cucumbers which i never grew before are fantastic

Your not alone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I have peppers in a polytunnel, they are just starting to flower. In the past years, peppers only start growing in August, to be harvested in September, October. They are never very big, I suppose we just don't get the heat. Feed them well and water every day. I have more success with chillies.
    For tomatoes, my best crop, year after year, are tumbling tom in hanging baskets. 3 plants to a hanging basket, and good feed and they crop prolifically I eat them every day, give them away and still have a surplus for the freezer.
    Gardeners delight in the same poly tunnel are so-so, about 20 tomatoes per plant.
    You're doing fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Thanks for the replies. My Tumbling Toms are doing okay,not a major crop but enough to keep me going. The chilli peppers are also slow. I will keep egging them on so,think we need a lid on this country. You'd think with all the advances in science they could come up with a safe way to cloud bust!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

Yeah, our tumblers are going well, maybe not as good as other years but the main tomato crop is very poor compared to other years. Have them in a green house but the ones in the pollytunnel are doing much better but again not as other years. The peppers in the greenhouse are doing suprisingly well though. Have a lot of them nearly at full size but still green and no sign of turning, but worse comes to the worst, just eat em green, prefer em red though..... not a great year granted for these sort of plants.

On the other hand the my spuds, carrots, onions, beetroot ,beans and peas have gone mad altogether:)

Scallions were fairly pityful though:mad:

It's all swings and roundabouts, just do the best you can, look after them well and hope for the right weather. Only so much you can do without the right conditions

Yeah,my scallions too! Honestly, from all that was sown over many weeks,I got 2,yep 2 scallions!!!We've just put some massive vegetable boxes together so will give the spuds,broccolli,carrotts and onions a go once we get the cash for a major plop of top soil!It is heartbreaking to see the plants fail but there is always next year. Though I think I will get some glass to cover the veg boxes the help them along. Heading off to Spain next week,I'm almost tempted to bring my peppers with me!They could do with the heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

aint it awful! My polytunnel toms and peppers flowered and have lots of tiny fruit but i dont hold out much hope of them ripening, brassicas were plentiful tho.

Yeah,my scallions too! Honestly, from all that was sown over many weeks,I got 2,yep 2 scallions!!!We've just put some massive vegetable boxes together so will give the spuds,broccolli,carrotts and onions a go once we get the cash for a major plop of top soil!It is heartbreaking to see the plants fail but there is always next year. Though I think I will get some glass to cover the veg boxes the help them along. Heading off to Spain next week,I'm almost tempted to bring my peppers with me!They could do with the heat.

A good money saver for getting soil dung etc... Do you know any farmers, they will usually give you a trailer load of dung for nada or very little, you'll have to supply the trailer unless the farmer is particularly generous. Also I know that one of my neighbours made up his beds with soild he got from another neighbour that was getting his front garden paved. Hard going but just wheelbarrowed what he needed round to his gaff. Also, mushroom farms if there are any in your area will sometimes let you have the changed out compost(they change this frequently) for free or again very little. Just need to keep your eyes peeled for opportunities.

Nice one Garden Shop,I will definitely try some of those options. Plenty of farmers around these parts. I'd never of thought to approach them. Thanks.!

Nice one Garden Shop,I will definitely try some of those options. Plenty of farmers around these parts. I'd never of thought to approach them. Thanks.!

no probs, just need to find an obliging farmer so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

My chillies are very slow this year I've noticed. Tomatoes only started to flower two weeks ago. However, loads of onions! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Before importing dung, I'd read the following.
    I'm not intending to scaremonger, just bringing to attention something that people may not be aware of.
    About certain weedkiller ingredient remaining in dung and then affecting gardens
    Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3

I haven't checked to see if this herbicide ingredient is used in Ireland, but I think likely that chemical usage in Ireland is similar to UK.

Perhaps this may be worthy of its own thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Mothman wrote: »
    Before importing dung, I'd read the following.
    I'm not intending to scaremonger, just bringing to attention something that people may not be aware of.
    About certain weedkiller ingredient remaining in dung and then affecting gardens
    Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3

I haven't checked to see if this herbicide ingredient is used in Ireland, but I think likely that chemical usage in Ireland is similar to UK.

Perhaps this may be worthy of its own thread?

Interesting, I had a similiar problem with tomates 16-17 years ago. I had spread dung on the ground then rotovated in. The problem was confined to about 4 bays of the glasshouse so I suspected fortunately I only got one contaminated batch, about 500-600 plants. The plants were perfecly fine before planting. The leaves bubbled up, some had stunted growth, others after 4-5 feet of growth didn't produce heads. Others mutated into misshaped fruit or I had one plant that produced flowers within flowers, it even developed fruit but you could see flowers sticking out of the base of the fruit, when you cut it open it contained flower petals in the centre. We had thought that the issue was caused by the farmer applying too heavy of a dose of growth regulator hormone to stunt the straw but perhaps it was the hormone pesticide you mention. It took about 2 years before tomatoes could grow in the same ground properly again.

Advertisement