Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***BEWARE**** SCAM IN OPERATION

Options
  • 20-07-2011 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭

Hey all, quick word.

My mother received a phone call today from a man with a middle eastern accent.

He had an incorrect name calling her Mr. <My Dad's Forename Here>

He continued to say although he had the wrong name he had the right number. He said she had :
    • downloaded viruses
    • downloaded illegal items

He then said he was from the Licencing Authority??? What ever that is. Fortunately she had her head screwed on and knew this was b****ks. But just to be wary. My uncle received a similar call two weeks ago, so maybe inform the older non technologically advanced people you know.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I've been called twice from vindows looking to fix my computer.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

This scam is ancient, oh I've a virus?? But I've no computer.... *beep beep beep*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

The guys who call from 'Windows' hang up if you tell them your PC/laptop runs on Linux.

We were getting three or four calls a day all the last week. My sons were fighting over who would answer the phone as to give them the funniest replies or see how long they could string them along. We're sad now because the phone doesn't ring at all anymore. :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its a poor poor scam. Id imagine its the people who own a computer and dont have a clue how to use them would fall for it. Im amazed it even works on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

Its a poor poor scam. Id imagine its the people who own a computer and dont have a clue how to use them would fall for it. Im amazed it even works on them.

in fairness it is a poor scam, but i didnt just post this up to mock people who do fall victim to it...in fairness if you got as far as boards, you wont fall for it. But there are countless people who barely brave the keyboard and a call like that could scare them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm sure they try thousands upon thousands of people, they only need to be lucky a few times for it to pay off.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Got a similar call. I'd heard about it happening other people, so I asked him to hold on the line while I turned on my PC. Just left him waiting. Might as well waste his time instead!

eldwaro wrote: »
    in fairness it is a poor scam, but i didnt just post this up to mock people who do fall victim to it...in fairness if you got as far as boards, you wont fall for it. But there are countless people who barely brave the keyboard and a call like that could scare them.

+1. So so true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Suckers!

Now, where's my bank account details so I can help that widow of a deposed Nigerian general get her money safely out of there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement