Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run For The Hills!

• 20-07-2011 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hey guys been meaning to post a variation on this thread for some time now. I'm going to start a log as I feel it would be majorly helpful to get advice and support from experienced runners.

I'm a 20 year old male about 6ft 3in and 15.5st. I had started running last year and lost almost 3st working up to a total distance of 6-7k, 3 times a week. However I had to stop as had I crippling pains in my hip and back.

I have now after much hardship got these for the most part treated and have been informed I was suffering from sciatica due to tight hips and hamstrings. Still in slight pain but the stretches are helping big time.

I started running again Monday after almost 7 months out. I have done the first 2 days of the couch to 5k program in a local wood which has plenty of hills and I hope to finish the program out with the eventual goal being the Kildare half marathon without pain in February.

I felt quite good on the runs had to stop myself from pushing too hard in the first few days. I would be grateful for any advice and support especially on shoes and gear as i would love to get a proper fitted pair of shoes but don't know the first place to look. At the moment i'm using off the shelf asics which i'm not sure are suited to my running style.

Thanks for reading guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

Right so today 20/07/11

Ran: Day 2 of c25k
    Weather: Fine good day for running
    Pain: Ok slight knee tightness and hip pain but nothing major
    Overall: A good day, made it up the massive hill without too much hassle and don't feel worn out at all tbh. Pity the dog found it hard to keep up :P

Also to add to my first post I work in Halford's part time and have been toying with the idea of getting a racing bike as i could pick one up pretty cheap just wondering would it be a good idea or would it hamper the running side of things and should i look at doing something else on my days off, I.e swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

civichead wrote: »
    Also to add to my first post I work in Halford's part time and have been toying with the idea of getting a racing bike as i could pick one up pretty cheap just wondering would it be a good idea or would it hamper the running side of things and should i look at doing something else on my days off, I.e swimming.

Sounds to me like a budding triathlon log ;)

On a point of note from above - the cycling has certainly helped my running this year - i am much stronger going up hills. The boardsmans in Halfords have a good reputation

Yeah heard about the boardmans, bit expensive for my college student budget:P. I'm not really in the bike section in store but I know we have a few cheap end of range carrera's?

Today I played some football not really part of my training but worth writing down none the less. My legs feel a bit tired and weak figure my breakfast of an apple, half glass of juice and 2 slices of rye bread wasn't enough.

Advertisement