Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNOOKERGATE - Snooker world rocked by dicky bow scandal

Options
  • 20-07-2011 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hello, it's the guardian of freedom, liberty and justice in the world of snooker here, PACKYAK.

Recently, yet another SCANDAL in our noble world has been brought to my attention by my researchers. In case you have been living under a ROCK for the past while, you won't know that our courageous Irish HERO Ken Doherty has made a stance against a Chinese THUG by the name of Liang Wenbo after he has shockingly decided to SPIT ON THE SNOOKER FLAG OF OUR FOREFATHERS by deciding not to wear a bow tie.

Our DEMIGOD Ken has complained (RIGHTFULLY) that refusing to wear a bow tie not only gave Liang a DISTINCT ADVANTAGE but also DOWNRIGHT GUFFAWS at the NOTION that snooker is a gentleman's sport. The MARTYR ended up losing the quarter final with his partner Fergal O'Brien to LIANG and Ding Junhui 4-1.

Now, I'm not one for complaining, but this is DOWNRIGHT RIDICULOUS.

You will find a link to an article about this DOWNRIGHT DISGRACEFUL MESS at http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/16072011/58/bow-tie-scandal-rocks-snooker-world-cup.html

Also, here is an article about PROPER DRESS CODE in snooker http://www.stephen-hendry.com/index.php/tie-tie-question/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

the dress code is a joke and needs to start moving with the times. maybe for some events it might be appropriate to wear the bow tie but i think a t-shirt is the way to go. may some players are frightened the might have to show their tattoos !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Shocking. I'm lost for words.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Calm down everybody especially PACKYAK, I admire your devotion to the game but it's only a dispute over a dickie bow.
    Everysport has dress rules, some ridiculous some downright bizarre but the dress rules in snooker are simple, waistcoat bowtie and trousers with shoes, pretty simple I think.
    Up to the mid eighties it was customary to wear a tie in a morning or afternoon session and the bow tie was reserved for night.
    In recent years a more relaxed approached was taken with the wearing of different coloured shirts and suits and in some events eg The Premier League non wearing of bowties including the referees was allowed.
    However in the main events such as the PTC's and ranking events the dresscode must be adhered to.
    Some players are exempt from this rules such as Stephen Maguire who cites a skin complaint around his neck as his reason.
    Of course we did have the late Alex Higgins who refused point blankly to wear one but that was Alex he had to be a rebel!!
    I for one agree on a dress code, it shows the sport as the gentlemans game it was originally invented as and also brings some class to the game.
    I think Ken was clutching at straws re Wenbo not wearing a bow tie but all he would have received was a fine in the end.
    The best players in the world don't seem to have any problems playing wearing a bow tie so until it becomes a big issue the dress code should be left as is.
    Only my opinion guys feel free to disagree that's what forums are all about

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

Im sure there was a little sarcasm in the OP but imo the dickybow should be done away with, i never understood why they wear them other than tradition.

On Ken, i think he was right to complain but shouldve known Wenbo could never be docked a frame because of it so it made him look a tad silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Keep some of the traditions going. It makes the sport unique, and is part of snooker's identity. Big deal if you are asked to wear a tie or bow tie at certain events or sessions. What a palavar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Ken stood up and expressed regret about dickie bow gate. We have all done and said harsh things in the heat of battle at some stage. Not all of us admit we were wrong but Ken did and thats the end of it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭bren2001

In fairness...the dress code was not adhered to. If I turned up to a Gaelic match without the correct shorts I'd expect the referee to ask me to leave the pitch. Every sport has rules and if rules are not followed then the person should not be allowed to play.

IMO Wenbo did little wrong. It is the referee who should be punished for not picking up on the Dickie Bow straight away and asking him to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

bren2001 wrote: »
    In fairness...the dress code was not adhered to. If I turned up to a Gaelic match without the correct shorts I'd expect the referee to ask me to leave the pitch. Every sport has rules and if rules are not followed then the person should not be allowed to play.

IMO Wenbo did little wrong. It is the referee who should be punished for not picking up on the Dickie Bow straight away and asking him to get one.

Yes but its not up to the referee to tell Wenbo to wear a tie and certainly has no power to dock him a frame or not allow him to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭bren2001

Yes but its not up to the referee to tell Wenbo to wear a tie and certainly has no power to dock him a frame or not allow him to play.

It is up to the referee to tell Wenbo to wear it. He was in breach of the rules and it is the job of the referee to enforce the rules. As far as I am aware and please correct me if I am wrong but the referee should have instructed Wenbo to obtain a dickie bow but proceeded as normal. If Wenbo did not make it back by the time the match was due to start then the frame should of been awarded to Ken.

Saying all this, I watched the match and we defiantly deserved to lose.

Advertisement