Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Training a pup

Options
  • 20-07-2011 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi we've just gotten a rothweiller pup bitch. She's ten weeks old and as we have other dogs and until she gets used to the place we are keeping her inside at night time and letting her out when there is someone to keep an eye on her during the day.
    We only got her two days ago, she doesnt seem nervous at all and is playing with children etc. However she is peeing literally everywhere in the house! Numerous times an hour. I have bought the training pads and she has peed everywhere except on them I also have newspaper down. I have given her treats, encouragment etc if she goes on the paper. However its not working.
    Is she to young to train? This is only a temporary measure as she will be an outdoor dog. She is a gorgeous playful puppy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ok, firstly congrats on your Rottweiler;)

Secondly, get rid of the paper and pads asap, they only confuse the pup. Start as you mean to go on and dont encourage the pup to go inside the house at all.
    You will only have to end up retraining the pup to outside as you have taught it go inside on the paper/pads.

I highly suggest crate training, its a god send and will speed up the training process and reduce the amount of accidents you have.

Just remember, your pup is ten weeks old, so has no control over its bladder at the moment, so when it needs to go, it just will, regardless of whether its inside or out so that is why you need to put in a lot of work now.

Make sure you bring the pup outside as often as possible, after every meal, sleep, drink and play session and then as often as possibel any other times.

Lots of praise and encouragement when it goes outside, maybe even a nice treat, when it goes so it realises that going outside is good and it gets rewarded for going there.

Do not give out to the pup if you find accidents in the house as the pup will not know why its in trouble, but if you catch the pup going, just say "No", pick the pup up and bring it outside to finish what its doing.

Toilet training can take weeks, even months so you need to patient and put in lots of time and effort. The more you do, the less time it will take to fully train your pup.

Hope this helps.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

Thanks for the advice, is it really to early to be trying anything with her at all with the house training? I will look up crate training definitely. Its just we seem to be out with the mop every five mins :) is she too young to be outside in a kennel at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

andreac wrote: »
    Ok, firstly congrats on your Rottweiler;)

Secondly, get rid of the paper and pads asap, they only confuse the pup. Start as you mean to go on and dont encourage the pup to go inside the house at all.
    You will only have to end up retraining the pup to outside as you have taught it go inside on the paper/pads.

I highly suggest crate training, its a god send and will speed up the training process and reduce the amount of accidents you have.

Just remember, your pup is ten weeks old, so has no control over its bladder at the moment, so when it needs to go, it just will, regardless of whether its inside or out so that is why you need to put in a lot of work now.

Make sure you bring the pup outside as often as possible, after every meal, sleep, drink and play session and then as often as possibel any other times.

Lots of praise and encouragement when it goes outside, maybe even a nice treat, when it goes so it realises that going outside is good and it gets rewarded for going there.

Do not give out to the pup if you find accidents in the house as the pup will not know why its in trouble, but if you catch the pup going, just say "No", pick the pup up and bring it outside to finish what its doing.

Toilet training can take weeks, even months so you need to patient and put in lots of time and effort. The more you do, the less time it will take to fully train your pup.

Hope this helps.:)

GREAT advice from andreac, as always ! good technique which I used, my 2 cockers were trained in a matter of days but I think I did sound like a nutcase in the garden when praising them! dogs LOVE being praised so dont be shy ! ;-)

ontour wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, is it really to early to be trying anything with her at all with the house training? I will look up crate training definitely. Its just we seem to be out with the mop every five mins :) is she too young to be outside in a kennel at night?

Its never too early to start training, just dont expect too much from her just yet as it takes time for them to realise what you need them to do. Routine is the key and consistancy as well.

Yes shes far too young to be outside in a kennel at night. My 2 rottweilers are house dogs, i wouldnt have it any other way.:)

andreac wrote: »
    Its never too early to start training, just dont expect too much from her just yet as it takes time for them to realise what you need them to do. Routine is the key and consistancy as well.

Yes shes far too young to be outside in a kennel at night. My 2 rottweilers are house dogs, i wouldnt have it any other way.:)

Ah thats brilliant I was worried the first thing people would say was to put her out. She's adorable. What age are your dogs? Do you use the crate method with them?

• Advertisement

Ah thats brilliant I was worried the first thing people would say was to put her out. She's adorable. What age are your dogs? Do you use the crate method with them?

My male is 4 and half and my female is 13 months. I didnt crate train the male as i didnt know what it was when i got him:o but i used it with the female alright.
    I use the crate all the time now in my house and my big male loves it, he just goes into it and sues it as his bed. He will even stand at the door if its closed for me to open it for him to go in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Sometimes it's easier to look at it less as 'training' and more as 'setting up a routine'. Dogs like routine and they catch on a lot quicker than we humans sometimes give them credit for.

OP, can you post a photo of your little lady? I'm sure she's gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Another vote for crate training, My pup is 12 weeks old and is almost fully trained, havent had a "spill" in 10 days. When they do mess, clean right away with a bio wash mixture. If they smell pee on carpet they will go back there to go again and again, you must eliminate the odor, very important to use a bio or cleaner designed to eliminate urine odor.

I took her out every hour in the day to go and loads of praise when she goes outside is the trick. But you need to keep a close eye on the at ALL times when in the house, its alot of work at first but it pays off after a few weeks, but all dogs are different.

Make sure the crate is only big enough for them to turn around in, if its too big they will toilet in 1 end of the crate and sleep in the other.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Thanks a million for all the replies I really appreciate it, can I ask you if you's could pm me where you got the crate or the size it sounds like a great idea. I'll get a pict of her up in a few mins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Thanks a million for all the replies I really appreciate it, can I ask you if you's could pm me where you got the crate or the size it sounds like a great idea. I'll get a pict of her up in a few mins :)

You can get crates at any decent pet shop, or on line at zooplus. Mine i think is 76cm but is way to big for my pup so i have 1/3 of it sectioned off, it will be to small for a fully grown lab but by the time she is fully grown I will have de-crated her.

Good luck with the new pup!

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement
Advertisement