Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good golf courses near Clonakilty?

Options
  • 20-07-2011 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there pro-golfers ;-)

We're headin on holidays to Clonakilty later on this summer.

My husband will need to be kept occupied during the trip as studies have shown that lack of golf can lead to crankiness, acting like a grumpy arse and 'like a briar' type symptoms.

Which are the best golf courses within 20km of Clonakilty? Not too far please as husband may get lost.

Thank you so much,

Mrs Annie J Golfwidow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

There is a couple around there, Lisselan Gardens is a nice 9 hole course just as you come into Clonakilty, he would enjoy that and is only about 3-4km from Clonakilty, you can also play a 9 hole course at the back of the Dunmore House Hotel, which is about 10km(maybe less from Clon) There are also courses in Bandon Kinsale and Skibereen which are further afield but all pretty decent tracks!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Lucky guy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Bandon is fairly decent but not that non-members friendly to be honest, pricewize anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Anniejryan

Thanks guys,

Phew, great to know there are a few options for him. And yes, Charlie, he is extremely lucky. Although I do admit I have a hidden-brownie-points-scoring agenda. Any good spas near there ha ha?

A

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Anniejryan wrote: »
    Although I do admit I have a hidden-brownie-points-scoring agenda. Any good spas near there ha ha?

A

ha - always an alternative motive......still providing for a spa day to get a day playing golf is a good trade off!!

Sorry i can't help with the courses though, am in the midlands!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Jasonw

Thanks guys,

Phew, great to know there are a few options for him. And yes, Charlie, he is extremely lucky. Although I do admit I have a hidden-brownie-points-scoring agenda. Any good spas near there ha ha?

A

Surely you jest? Isn't inchidonney hotel and spa in Clon? Some how I suspect that this particular holiday was booked with the quality of Spas in mind, not the quality of the golf courses.

Anyway, Skibbereen is not too far away and reasonable enough. make sure he plays with a local though as it's very tricky. Bandon is good and a tough test. Kinsale is too far away and not worth the trip. Can't comment on the two 9 holes in Clon itself as I've never played them. Lisselan is supposed to be one of the best 9 holes courses in the country though. Not sure how far Bantry is from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mr.mickels

Any good spas near there ha ha?

A
    this one, nice beach too

http://www.inchydoneyislandhotel.com/

That's really helpful thanks a lot :-) The spa at Inchdoney has lots of lovely sea water treatments. Might be cheaper to jump in the sea for a while ;-)

A

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

Lisselan is the job for Him , pm Me if U want a playing partner for Him Mon to Thur , can get cheap fees with a member , I'll make sure He wont get lost on You as I'll tie Him to the barstool(s) when we get back to town ...LOL..

That's very kind of you thank you very much
    A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

lisselan would be the most enjoyable a lovely unique little track
    dunmore isnt great a 9 hole thats neither pitch and putt nor golf,worth €10 if your badly stuck
    skibb is only ok probably want to be with a local as it's a bit blind alright
    bandon by far the best 18h in the area open day thurs i think
    kinsale not too memorable its ok open day on wed i think
    bantry not too bad

lisselan & bandon if he's lucky & gets out twice;-)......... in my opinion

Advertisement