Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike computer conundrum

Options
  • 20-07-2011 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭

I just bought a carbon framed Felt Z6 and want to put a trip computer up on it.

The thing is I already have a Cateye Astrale 8 on my old bike, which I intend to keep and use every so often as it still has baby seat on it, but i will use the Felt much more.

I think putting wires and straps all over the new bike will distract from it's appearance so am toying with the idea of a new wireless computer and leaving the old one on the old bike.

The Astrale 8 is in great nick & I really like the cadence function on it.

So my options are
    1. Keep what I have and move it to new bike.
    2. Keep what I have and get a second mount (if i can find one) for new bike so I can interchange it.
    3. Get a new system altogether for new bike.

What do you think? and what new system would you recomend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I've just bought a Garmin edge 500 and can't rate it highly enough - apart from the cost. It has more functions than you can shake a stick at. Very easy to mount - a bit more work if you put the cadence sensor on (I haven't yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

+1 for the edge 500. It's in another world when compared to your standard computers.

My general advice would be, if you're willing to spend more than €50 on a computer, then go the whole hog and get a Garmin edge. Anything between €50 and €200 is just a variation on a theme and you'll end up sorry that you didn't get a garmin.

The sheer amount of information it collects is fantastic, but it's the connect website that's the cherry on top tbh, being able to store and compare actual stats from your rides as well as routes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Depends what you're looking for. For me, having a GPS without navigation seems like a bit of a waste, so I'd tend towards the Edge 800, rather than the Edge 500, albeit that it is more expensive. The other thing to consider is battery life, which is where the simple devices tend to win out. Any of the GPS kit will need charging between trips, whereas a cheap cateye will run off its internal battery for months, and IMO is more robust.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I dont want much more than to know the basics, how fast im going, trip time, average speed etc. as i previously said i also like the cadence function, so for me, the likes of the edge 500 is not for me, something cheaper please

what is opinion on wireless systems, ive read some people say they can be unreliable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

smacl wrote: »
    Depends what you're looking for. For me, having a GPS without navigation seems like a bit of a waste, so I'd tend towards the Edge 800, rather than the Edge 500, albeit that it is more expensive. The other thing to consider is battery life, which is where the simple devices tend to win out. Any of the GPS kit will need charging between trips, whereas a cheap cateye will run off its internal battery for months, and IMO is more robust.

I've an Edge 705 and the battery life is about 15 hours. It can be charged via USB, which means the battery is charged while you upload your data to Garmin connect. Also, With the Garmin, you can check the battery level at any time and recharge as required. With cheaper computers, the battery usually lasts for a year or two, but nearly always dies at the worst moment, e.g in the middle of the WW200 etc.

I don't consider the battery life a problem unless you intend not using most of the benifits of owning a Garmin in the first place.

• Advertisement

stevieob wrote: »
    I dont want much more than to know the basics, how fast im going, trip time, average speed etc. as i previously said i also like the cadence function, so for me, the likes of the edge 500 is not for me, something cheaper please

what is opinion on wireless systems, ive read some people say they can be unreliable

If most of us were honest, we would admit to not needing the following:

Carbon Frames ( plenty of lads win races on Aluminium frames).

Carbon Wheels ( Expensive and not as durable as "regular" wheels).

As for Garmin Edge 705/800 - Most people will not use most of the features, but we still like to have them.

In my case I don't "need" GPS, but its nice to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I've used a Cateye Strada Wireless. It worked well for about two years but then started to give problems like completely resetting itself on a spin. I'm going to get another and hope for better reliability.

I like having a dedicated bike computer on each bike (only 3), helps keep track of the miles on drivetrain etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭barrmur

+1 for the Edge 705 here. Got it a few months ago (+cadance and HR) and love it. Upload all rides to connect.garmin.com and you can track your progress. It also make it easy to find other peoples routes that live near you to try out. As others have said its a superb piece of kit but I dont use half the features.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

07Lapierre wrote: »
    In my case I don't "need" GPS, but its nice to have it.

I tend to do a fair bit of cycling solo, exploring the country side, and the GPS with some background mapping is very useful. Mines an older Garmin 76CS which is a bit of an antique but does the job required of it.

Out of interest, what are the Irish background maps like on the 705, and do they have contours. I got the Scottish mountaineering irish contour maps onto the 76cs, but would like something a bit higher res.

smacl wrote: »
    I tend to do a fair bit of cycling solo, exploring the country side, and the GPS with some background mapping is very useful. Mines an older Garmin 76CS which is a bit of an antique but does the job required of it.

Out of interest, what are the Irish background maps like on the 705, and do they have contours. I got the Scottish mountaineering irish contour maps onto the 76cs, but would like something a bit higher res.

check out the garmin connect website. There are millions of examples.

heres one of mine

• Advertisement
Advertisement