Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords CC Race 15 - 21/07/11

Options
  • 20-07-2011 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭

Dont suppose anyone is injured and fancies a bit of marshalling so i can race?:pac:

Alternatively can anyone swap and i ll do any race from 17 - 20.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Dont suppose anyone is injured and fancies a bit of marshalling so i can race?:pac:

Alternatively can anyone swap and i ll do any race from 17 - 20.

Will check with the boss .....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

RobFowl wrote: »
    Will check with the boss .....
    Thanks, just chancing my arm really. Want to get another race in before i destroy all the good work with holiday food and drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Bring your bike with you on your holiday, ala Raam! In fact, go one better, take two - one for training and the other for taking part in a local race which you have obviously researched and know all about the local movers and shakers in the area!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Thanks, just chancing my arm really. Want to get another race in before i destroy all the good work with holiday food and drink

Do you have my Mobile no?
    Give me a ring after 3 and I'll know for sure

I do and will yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No point in me dropping down into Group 1 if you're not racing Rob

Guess I'll have to stay in Group 2 this week;)

Beasty wrote: »
    No point in me dropping down into Group 1 if you're not racing Rob

Guess I'll have to stay in Group 2 this week;)

Next bog one I'll drop back ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Heard a rumour we may get an extra run round the Bog to make up for the race cancelled a couple of weeks back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

im gearin up for my hols also so i was thinkin of tryin to go up a group before i lose the lot with late nights and red wine . Is the pace much faster in 3 dont want to take a hammering but would be nice if i could pick up some points in group 3 after doing the same i 1 and 2

If last weeks messing in group three is anything to go by then prepare to be knackered!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

im gearin up for my hols also so i was thinkin of tryin to go up a group before i lose the lot with late nights and red wine . Is the pace much faster in 3 dont want to take a hammering but would be nice if i could pick up some points in group 3 after doing the same i 1 and 2

It's only about 1 kph faster in group 3, no messin. How do you think Group 2 stayed away so much all season?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Hungrycol wrote: »
    It's only about 1 kph faster in group 3, no messin. How do you think Group 2 stayed away so much all season?!

I'll be going up to Group 3 this week.

Hopefully its not a mess

Racing incident with a dog and group three towards the end of the first lap. Was scrubbing at the back at the time and lost the wheel in front and couldn't get back on with the speed of the group. Went back up to the unmanned corner and marshalled for the rest of the race. Massive group together on the last lap. I'd say it was hairy at the narrow section. Any idea of the winner?

Paul Kennedy won, Javan Nulty 2nd and Dave O'Connor 3rd

Tonight Group 2 was honoured to witness the return of shaungil to competitive action....

You could hardly notice the extra 10 lbs or so he has amassed since his racing "incident" a few weeks ago

One of the smaller group 2s of te season to date with quite a few moving up to Group 3 and a few away on holiday - maybe around 15 in total

I wasn't expecting much as I'd been away myself and had a reasonably hard vets race last night.

We set off at a handy pace - shaungil was probably pushing a bit hard on occasions, although I was a bit guilty of the same myself. I suspect it put a few of the weaker riders off and it soon became clear there were about 8 of us sharing the workload

The first lap felt hard, but my legs were suffering a bit following last night. We actually did it 16s faster (average 36.9kph) than the last time we did the course (when Group 2 stayed away and a lot more were sharing the work). The HR was looking quite high, at over 170 for quite a lot of the time, and normalised power was running at well over 300w

I was getting more into it on the second lap and the pace eased a little to 36.3kph - we caught Group 1 early in this lap. At least one of the Group 1 riders did his fair share on the front foir a lap or so. On the 3rd lap the group split with the 8 "workers" breaking away about half way round. Average speed was 36.2kph.

Just before half way round the final lap we were caught by a very large combined Groups 3, 4 and scratch, and the pace picked up to an average 37.5kph

With about 500m to go it was clear I would be no-where near contention and I eased off the back of the large group to finish at an overall average speed of 36.6kph (compared with 36kph over 5 laps last time)

I actually hit some new power PBs over about the 30m period and my avearage for the race was 266w, which was particularly pleasing given my exertions last night. Normalised power was 290w

Thanks to Robfowl for marshalling for me.

Great race and really enjoyed it. Moved up to group 3 tonight and it was fine, did a good few long pulls on the front too - more from getting stranded as there was no real up and overs.

Pace shot up and when scratch caught us but i got on the train fine and it eventually relented/felt more comfortable. Some hairy riding at times but thankfully no accidents.

Cramped up badly on last lap and called it a day - a hard spin with hill intervals last night coupled with cycling to work and out to the race had the legs in bits. Didnt know i would get to race so not the best prep but anything was a bonus.

Spun home too so 160k in the 24hrs or so - expecting some serious pain walking down stairs tomorrow.

33km @ 38.9km/ph. With first 10k @ 38.2, 2nd 10k @ 38.6, 3rd 10k @ 39.6k (hanging onto scratch), 3 odd k @ 38.4.

Overall very pleased

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Hylander70

Some pictures of tonights race, only seven as we forgot the memory card and the stinkin camera only saves seven.
    Good to see Shaun back hopefully ill be back soon for the last few races. Manwithaplan good pic of you cresting the hill at the flyover

https://picasaweb.google.com/116730422944254823104/SwordsClubLeague21711?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKbyqK-iy7-adw&feat=directlink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

i moved to group 3 also tonight, i was not sure what to expect so i hung back for a bit to see how i got on but a had nothing to worry about while the speed was faster than group 2 it was nothing a couldnt handle
    when i had warmed up i even done a few pulls on the front ,this track dosnt lend itself for good up and overs with the tight bends and narrow roads, but while it was a bit disorganized the group seemed to be moving along nicely with the gap to the front coming down steadily (thanks for the time checks guys)
    when we were caught by the groups behind some one tried to ride off the front and the speed shot up and stayed that way until we caught group 2,we now had a big group of im guessing 50+ riders for the run into the finish, i was feeling ok but was caught in to minds whether to push for my goal to try and and score some points or to just stay well out of it as its a very hairy run in to the finish of this one plus we had the wind on our backs so it would be even faster tonight
    as it turned out on the bog road their were a few stalls and some very nervous riding and i found myself in the top 15 or 20 as we came up to the car park,i remembered how i tied up the last time at this up hill finish so i knew that any one that went to early would suffer the same fate so picking up some points was not out of the question
    i was never going to be in the hunt for the top 5, i timed a sprint well hitting the line at full tilt passing 6 or 8 guys i was sure i did enough to make the top 10 but im told i was 12th or so it was very tight so im claiming 10th even i dont get the points :rolleyes:
    thanks to all the marshals and the club for running a supper race and to Lusk Doyle for going to the unmaned corner,i did enjoy it,now i think i have earned a beer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

this track dosnt lend itself for good up and overs with the tight bends and narrow roads,

It's not the circuit it's the people riding it that have a problem with up and overs :)

Bog of the ring is tight but no worse than what you'll see elsewhere.

Lots of guys moving up on the right lane of riders and then tucking back into the left lane when they're two or three from the front - really makes it tough for anyone behind them who does want to work and ruins the up and overs.

If you don't want to work fine but stay on the left and sit at the back and let the guys who will work get into an up and over groove at the front. Faster for everyone :cool:

Anyway rant aside - good fun race tonight, thanks again to all involved. Oh and dogs should be on leashes....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I nearly didn't make this one. I was stuck in work much later than I had intended so I abandoned the plan to ride out and headed for home and threw the bike in the car. Luckily traffic was light and I made it out just before the start.

I did a 200k sportive in Kerry over the weekend and I was feeling fairly strong tonight. I also felt good in the week following the Wicklow 200 - the miles seem to help.

Group 4 was a bit of a mess. We were caught by scratch after the first lap and we settled into the higher pace. Apart from a few hairy incidents on the tighter roads, not a lot happened for the next three laps. Javan Nulty did very well to stay up just in front of me after touching wheels with someone ahead of him at one point.

I considered giving it a dig on the lumps around the cricket club on the last lap but we hadn't caught Group 2 yet and it would have been doomed to failure anyway. After Group 2 were caught I went to the front but didn't really have a plan and was content to slip back to mid division before we turned into the smaller roads. I should have worked to hold my position because space was at a premium at that stage. It was hard to get near the front because it was so tight. I didn't fancy taking any risks to improve my position and ruining my holidays either. I was on Dave Wherity's wheel coming around the final bend and was making up places up the rise before the finish but, although I was close, I don't think I made the top 10.

I enjoyed the racing tonight and I don't think the pace was that hot. The bigger scratch group meant that there was some respite anyway.

Thanks to the marshalls, the ambulance, the lead out cars etc. A very special thanks to Trish, Hylander70's better half, for three lovely flapjacks I scoffed on the way home in the car. The family is in Kerry this week and it is only the kindness of those that take pity on me that is keeping me alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

I nearly didn't make this one. I was stuck in work much later than I had intended so I abandoned the plan to ride out and headed for home and threw the bike in the car. Luckily traffic was light and I made it out just before the start.

I did a 200k sportive in Kerry over the weekend and I was feeling fairly strong tonight. I also felt good in the week following the Wicklow 200 - the miles seem to help.

Group 4 was a bit of a mess. We were caught by scratch after the first lap and we settled into the higher pace. Apart from a few hairy incidents on the tighter roads, not a lot happened for the next three laps. Javan Nulty did very well to stay up just in front of me after touching wheels with someone ahead of him at one point.

I considered giving it a dig on the lumps around the cricket club on the last lap but we hadn't caught Group 2 yet and it would have been doomed to failure anyway. After Group 2 were caught I went to the front but didn't really have a plan and was content to slip back to mid division before we turned into the smaller roads. I should have worked to hold my position because space was at a premium at that stage. It was hard to get near the front because it was so tight. I didn't fancy taking any risks to improve my position and ruining my holidays either. I was on Dave Wherity's wheel coming around the final bend and was making up places up the rise before the finish but, although I was close, I don't think I made the top 10.

I enjoyed the racing tonight and I don't think the pace was that hot. The bigger scratch group meant that there was some respite anyway.

Thanks to the marshalls, the ambulance, the lead out cars etc. A very special thanks to Trish, Hylander70's better half, for three lovely flapjacks I scoffed on the way home in the car. The family is in Kerry this week and it is only the kindness of those that take pity on me that is keeping me alive!

I think you're right about the miles....a sportive is a great way to "tune-up" the legs

• Advertisement

chakattack wrote: »
    Lots of guys moving up on the right lane of riders and then tucking back into the left lane when they're two or three from the front - really makes it tough for anyone behind them who does want to work and ruins the up and overs.

Nail on the head there! You see the same 'heros' every week take off the down the outside trying to show they are strong (when they generally arent) only to do a sudden jump in maneuver right before they get on the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

After my 3rd place success last week I decided to go up a group to group 3. I'd heard how much faster group 3 was so was pretty apprehensive before the start. The roles seemed reversed at the start with group 2 being quite small and group 3 being huge. My apprehension wasnt helped by kennyb ( who is sacked as my sports psychologist :D) who kept telling me how fast it was gonna be , as group 2 left I started thinking this may not have been the best idea.

Anyway off we went, the pace wasnt as bad as I thought , prob avg 36 or so for the first lap , as it's my second race I'm prob not in a position to b$tch but there was some bad riding in the group which didn't help the up and overs , ruining the 2 lines by randomly going from the left lane to right with no singals and then drifting along in between the two lines.

It all kicked off when scratch and group 4 caught us, I aimed to get up the front and see how long I could hang on for , as it turned out the pace wasnt too bad , with 3 or 4 kms to go the road got very skinny , I wasnt sure on the ettiquette of over taking , I thought ya shouldnt over take on the left so was trying to get out to the right to find gaps and move up , but it was so tight , with 500 meters to go the pace picked up again,longsocks was behind me and he just booted it up the left side, should have followed him. I got boxed in by 2 lads who werent interested in the sprint for the line and they slowed me right down , maybe inexperience on my part - anyway the sprint was really good , some of those lads are seriously fast , came in behind manwithaplan top 15 anyway.

In hindsight should have been more assertive in trying to get through gaps and closer to the front for the sprint but that will come with experience , really enjoyed the race and the pace when all the groups merged together

Sleeping last night was a nightmare , head was way to buzzy and filled up with bikes and wheels and stats !

Great race and great organisation...Thanks to all involved.

Raced Group 4 for the second time last night coming down from group 3. After being dropped last week when scratch caught us I was apprehensive at the start. I knew the course is pretty flat and fast and the game plan at the start was to catch group 3 early on and surf the rest of the way. Unfortunately not everyone in group 4 was privy to our plan. We tried hard to get a formation going and on occasion the going was good. Scratch caught us on the first lap and I thought dear God we've now gotta race at scratch pace for the next 3 laps or get dropped, the latter not being an option for me.

I motored along nicely and loitered at the back of the bunch and the pace wasn't bananas so the going was grand although the corners were a killer if you were anywhere near the back. Caught group 3 on the third lap and the bunch expanded. I got boxed in a few times and had to slow while scratch (& group 4) opened up gaps. On that course staying up in the first third of the bunch in the wind is preferable to the shelter at the back. Caught group 2 on the last lap and by then it seemed the bunch was more strung out and although some of the last kms were hairy I've been down them before in a tighter pack.

In the last 2 km, long socks was in front of me on the left hand side (boxed in again) and I saw Javan Nulty in front of him (No. 9 on his back), so I shouted to long socks "FOLLOW NUMBER NINE". I would have loved to be where long socks was cos I know if you could stick to Javan and were feeling good you were in with a chance of a placing. Sure enough he did stick with him, maybe lost a bike length but I could see he was trying, and he got 5th, his first placing of the season he told me afterwards. I came in about 13th/14th/15th something like that. In hindsight I should have made more of an effort in the sprint cos the road widens up to the finish line but hay ho.

Averaged about 39.5kph for the race.

Thanks to the marshals and Sam for filling in for Joe at the sign on.

(I'm Marshalling the next BotR on the 10th Aug (Race 18) and would like to race this. Anyone down for another race that would like to swap?)

dario28 wrote: »
    Sleeping last night was a nightmare , head was way to buzzy and filled up with bikes and wheels and stats !

I hear ya but it gets easier the more races you do. At the beginning of the season it was sometimes after 2am before I fell asleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Nail on the head there! You see the same 'heros' every week take off the down the outside trying to show they are strong (when they generally arent) only to do a sudden jump in maneuver right before they get on the front.

I was one of those hero's (g4), and made that move once or maybe twice. The way I see it, if the dude on the front right wants to power off the front and open a gap on the leading rider in the left line before swinging left, he can pay for it with an extended stint at the front when I slip in behind instead of in front. No way am I going to cover 2 or 3 extra bike lengths before hitting the front on my stint to correct his mistake.

I was one of those hero's (g4), and made that move once or maybe twice. The way I see it, if the dude on the front right wants to power off the front and open a gap on the leading rider in the left line before swinging left, he can pay for it with an extended stint at the front when I slip in behind instead of in front. No way am I going to cover 2 or 3 extra bike lengths before hitting the front on my stint to correct his mistake.
    I get what your saying and agree. I think there is a big difference between pulling a line along up to the front then one lad not easing up and going through way too hard so you either hold sway or tuck in and what im talking about whereby people are taking off like aeroplanes either on the right (or even around the right line group) and destroying the up and overs only to tuck in. The sole purpose of which is to get/stay up there but do no work and get the most shelter.

In essence we are agreeing because im giving about the lad in front who is powering off, not the fact that you have to tuck in as a result of what he has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Does anyone tell the transgressors that they are ruining the pace line? Both the so called heroes and guys who go through too strong. Usually they get the idea.

That said, I remember what happened a few weeks ago when direction was given to one particular rider.

Raam wrote: »
    Does anyone tell the transgressors that they are ruining the pace line? Both the so called heroes and guys who go through too strong. Usually they get the idea.

That said, I remember what happened a few weeks ago when direction was given to one particular rider.

I think he said "Why certainly sir, I'm most sorry for the error of my ways. Please accept "this" as a token of my repentence." Fairly sure that's what was said...:rolleyes:

Raam wrote: »

I tried but i failed - it was a mess

• Advertisement
Advertisement