Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone4 - Facebook App

Options
  • 20-07-2011 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,

Wondering if anyone is having the same problem as me and my wife?

We both have iPhone4's and anytime we open the Facebook App, the timeline is all over the place...I see something someone posted yesterday ahead of what something posted today and some posts just disappear altogether.

This has been going on for a couple of weeks now.

Any idea on a fix for this?

Cheers,

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

In the top right of your news feed, tap the button that says "Top News" and change it to "Most Recent".

Think they changed the default a few weeks a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭eoinymc

Ah yes, they did!

Cheers for that..sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Since the last few updates I find that this app is f*cking useless in general. A lot of random crashing, posts not being posted, very slow loading when I've no problems with 3g etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Keeps changing to top news for me aswel for no reason,it's one of the worst apps available in my opinion.

Last week I had a black bar running right across the screen everytime I opened facebook,it seems to only bother with notifications when it feels like it,after a message or friend request the red 1 symbol seems to hang around forever when there's nothing new there.

For the amount of updates it gets you would think the developers would have it running a lot better than it is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yeah, the Facebook app has only gotten worse with time, not better.

I have particular difficulty viewing pictures people put up. Half the time I get cached older pics instead of new ones - even of pics I've uploaded myself.

You'd think between two of the biggest tech companies on the planet they could sort the bugs out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

The app is awful alright.

I am looking forward to the day when peoples response to hearing the word facebook is 'what??'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I have to agree with everyone above, it's getting worse. Slow loading, crashes whenever I try to access my Inbox, notifications messed up!

Why they don't have an iPad version is beyond me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Let them get the iPhone one right first!! :)

Notifications work well on the Google+ app. So far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

thanks for the tip. Was having the same problems myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

My Facebook app keeps changing itself back to Top News instead of Most Recent... sigh. It's one of my least favourite apps and probably one of my most used at the same time! I would love to see it get an overhaul to sort all the bugs out. The Chat used to work for me maybe 10% of the time before I gave up using chat on the phone altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Feeder

Glad I saw this thread, thought it was just my phone acting up with all the Cydia stuff on it.

+1 on the FB app being terrible to use lately, its on a downward spiral alright, I only started using Twitter recently and find I am using that more and more now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I agree, its the worst app out there and has been getting worse with each updates. Notifications taking an hour to hit (after you have already read the update!) and thats when you get notifications in the first place! Sometime you are notified of an update you click on the comment and its not there! Amateur stuff.

Its problems like this that will drive more users over to Google+

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Even "most recent" doesn't exactly work well. On the web version there's an option to show the most recent from everyone, or just those people you interact most with. I'm pretty sure the Facebook app just shows the latter and there's no way to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

The mobile site is worth a look (m.facebook.com). Its come on a lot in the past few months. Its even been "optimised" to add to the home screen (i.e. full screen+icon).

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Feeder

If you need a reminder of what the loading icon looks like on your iPhone 4 just open the FB app :)

My GF signed into her facebook on my phone on Tuesday. Since then I'm getting all of HER friends' updates in my news feed as well as my own. This app is a piece of shĩt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

App has been just updated. Havent had any faults or crashes but the app still seems slow and jittery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Latest update appear to fix none of the bugs. I believe fb are close (this year) to launching a dedicated bells an whistles iPad app. Maybe it will be iPhone compatible and be a fix all?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

I'm using an iPhone 3G and I've had to switch over to the m.facebook.com app. The actual application is now just unusable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It just gets worse every time it's updated.
    I have to tap on everything twice to see it now and I cant scroll down on mine or anyone else's profile.

• Advertisement

I have to say, I'm finding the latest version far better than the previous one.

It still gets people's photos mixed up.

You get random old shots occasionally when trying to see new stuff.

Not as bad as it was, though, and I do like the slidey menu interface.

I'm not seeing many issues at all. Sometimes won't load my messages. Its saying i've a new one but won't show me it in the folder. I find it strange how two people with the same phone and app could have different problems. Like I don't have any of the problems above. And i've an iPhone 4 with the official FB app??!

faceman wrote: »
    I have to say, I'm finding the latest version far better than the previous one.

I'm finding it hangs a lot when loading something from the notifications, both on 3g and wifi. But otherwise it's an improvement, no crashing!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,171 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

An improvement on the app, but I hate the way 'top news' takes priority over new feeds.

Thats a facebook issue rather than an app issue though

Dodge wrote: »
    An improvement on the app, but I hate the way 'top news' takes priority over new feeds.

Thats a facebook issue rather than an app issue though

Also, in all the years I've used Facebook either through a browser or an app, the top news is never actually top news. It's always just random posts sometimes with no comments or likes at all. Also a Facebook issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,171 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Yeah thats why I used 'top news'

At least up to a month ago i could just pick most recent. Ah well

Updated lastnight to the new version which brings in the timeline features, and since then constantly getting a "Connection Error :(" page even though I've loads of data to use, plenty of credit, and all other internet using apps are working poifectly.

FFS.

Had some connection issues too, but in general it seems to function a bit better.

The stupid bug where looking at people mobile upload pics got all screwed up seems to be gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

maximoose wrote: »
    Updated lastnight to the new version which brings in the timeline features, and since then constantly getting a "Connection Error :(" page even though I've loads of data to use, plenty of credit, and all other internet using apps are working poifectly.

FFS.

Same as that. Most of the time it doesn't refresh and gives a connection error, suggesting that I "try again". I'd say about 30-40% of the time it's okay, but that's not good enough.

I expect that FB will issue an update to the app soon, but it's been what, nearly a week since the last update? I would have thought they'd have fixed the bug by now.

Advertisement