Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundabouts

Options
  • 20-07-2011 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

So i just started road cycling recently and im now making encounters with busy roundabouts.

These kinda make me a bit nervous but i cant really avoid them, so what are your tips for safe roundabout negotiation?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

use it exactly the same way you would if you were in a car. Don't stay on the left edge of it, use the right lane if going right, middle of the left lane if going straight. use you hands to signal so traffic knows what you're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

middle of the left lane if goin straigh? thats cyclin in the middle of the road. keep in off the road ya <snipped>

use it exactly the same way you would if you were in a car. Don't stay on the left edge of it, use the right lane if going right, middle of the left lane if going straight. use you hands to signal so traffic knows what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

If taking the third exit on a two laned roundabout would you get into the middle of the inside lane, the right of the lane or the left of the lane?

Also if taking the second exit on such a roundabout what lane position would people suggest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I'd always take command of my lane and use the roundabout exactly as if I was driving a car: central position of the lane, and indicate my intentions as I go, at all times keeping a good eye over both shoulders for numpties.
    That said, all my roundabouts (and I have LOTS of them :D) are in/around local towns down-the-country, I don't have to contend with some of the crazy multi-lane stuff I've seen in the Big Shmoke. Those SHOULD work the same way as any other roundabout anywhere else in the country, but that only works when everyone is singing from the same hymnsheet, which mostly doesn't appear to be that case.
    I suspect that sometimes discretion might be the better part of valour, and it might be prudent to transform into a pedestrian in some instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You have to take command of the lane if you're going straight or right. If that means queueing up behind 4 or 5 vehicles, so be it. Avoid trying to shoot out in front of cars coming around the roundabout, if your foot slips off a pedal or you otherwise don't get going properly, they might clip the back of the bike.
    Try to give as much indication as possible to drivers waiting to enter the roundabout, but for drivers following you, your road position should be indicative of where you're going. On larger roundabouts, avoid riding close to the centre, as some idiots will overtake you on the left.

Don't follow any cycle lanes onto roundabouts because these often leave you in blind spots or otherwise at the mercy of careless drivers.

If you're turning left, treat it like a T-junction; Avoid being on the left of any vehicle while you're turning as they often won't indicate and even though you're both turning left; *squish*

It's much easier to be complacent on a roundabout in a car as it's relatively rare for someone to pull out in front of you. On a bike, watch everybody. Never assume that a car won't pull out in front of you, until you've passed him.

• Advertisement

middle of the left lane if goin straigh? thats cyclin in the middle of the road. keep in off the road ya f***in eejit!

:rolleyes:

see if I stayed to the left in that case, you'd probably try to squeeze by and end up either

1) hitting me
    or
    2) forcing me to take avoiding action

If taking the third exit on a two laned roundabout would you get into the middle of the inside lane, the right of the lane or the left of the lane?
    depends what position the third exit is, but for arguments sake lets say it's past your 12oclock. Then middle of the right hand lane as you will be going right and this prevent cars behind you trying to squeeze past and put you in danger. Moving left as you pass the 2nd exit, having checked the left lane is clear and having indicated your intention.
    Also if taking the second exit on such a roundabout what lane position would people suggest?
    if 2nd is before or at your 12oclock then middle of the left hand lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Yeah this what i had been doing but changing lanes on the bike. Ive found though that people either want to squeeze by straight away or else hover right behind and a bit to the left.

But yeah only the other day i had a cyclist come onto a roundabout on my left when i was in the outside lane. The idiot though it would be a good idea to try go all the way around the roundabout on the outside. I nearly knocked him off when i was exiting because be was in my blindspot.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sundy wrote: »
    But yeah only the other day i had a cyclist come onto a roundabout on my left when i was in the outside lane. The idiot though it would be a good idea to try go all the way around the roundabout on the outside. I nearly knocked him off when i was exiting because be was in my blindspot.
    Cyclists are allowed to go round the left side (ie outside of the "circle") on a roundabout, whichever exit they are taking

From the Rules of the Road
    In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to:

• cyclists and horse riders who may stay in the left-hand lane and signal right if they intend to continue round the roundabout,

It's the driver's responsibility to look out for cyslists (on the left or right of the motor vehicle)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Beasty wrote: »
    Cyclists are allowed to go round the left side (ie outside of the "circle") on a roundabout, whichever exit they are taking

It's the driver's responsibility to look out for cyslists (on the left or right of the motor vehicle)
    Thanks never knew that.

Unfortunately it still doesnt make it a good idea to cycle up the inside of me as i start off at the roundabout. Luckily i spotted him anyway.

I find it easier to queue properly and take up a place in the lane rather than cutting around the outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

To be fair that's only an advisory statement about common things to watch out for, not an actual rule. The same section also advises you to watch out for
    traffic that may be straddling lanes or positioned incorrectly,

The key really is that you must give way to traffic that is already on the roundabout when you enter, regardless of how fast they are moving or whether they're in the wrong lane. So if a driver enters the roundabout where cyclist is already on it, then they must give way to the cyclist, even if he is silly enough to be going right in the left-hand lane.

It doesn't specifically say that cyclists may go right on a roundabout in the left-hand lane, but it states that's a common thing which may occur. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The Galway Cycling Campaign had an advisory leaflet that had this advice on roundabouts:

167715.jpg

If you're new to cycling, it had more advice you might find handy. PM me if you want a copy.

The book Cyclecraft has even more advice. Worth looking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

middle of the left lane if goin straigh? thats cyclin in the middle of the road. keep in off the road ya f***in eejit!

Dear Boards,

Can we have an anti-thank button please? It would save so much time.*

*(Particularly now that Tim Allen Fencer has reared his head again)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I had a guy undertake me using the left-turn lane (not on a roundabout) and admonish me for being "in the middle of the road". Of course, I was in the straight-ahead lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

I've always found it helpful to get up a good speed before you get near the roundabout - that way at least you can get through it quickly if there's a gap for you. You can always slow down if traffic is coming. But if you approach it slowly it's hard to speed up quickly if needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

tomasrojo wrote: »
    The Galway Cycling Campaign had an advisory leaflet that had this advice on roundabouts:

If you're new to cycling, it had more advice you might find handy. PM me if you want a copy.

The book Cyclecraft has even more advice. Worth looking up.

Hi the GCC Cycling Skills leaflet has been updated and is now in colour A3 poster format. If anyone here wants a copy PM me contact details and I'll stick one in the post.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

In bold is your answer for the first and then merge left as you travel around the roundabout indicating as you go, middle of the left lane for the second question and follow through.

The old Galway Cycling Campaign information sheet on multilane roundabouts is still hanging around on the web.

http://www.oocities.org/galwaycyclist/info/roundabouts.html

Later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Look for eye contact with drivers who are coming onto to the roundabout (from your left) and if you do not have it assume they will drive out. Also beware of lorries,buses etc driving up behind you as you wait to enter a roundabout - you will be in their blind spot and if the driver forgets you are there( believe me it does happen..) it can get very messy. I was hit very hard on a roundabout by a driver who failed to yield when driving onto the roundabout. 5 weeks later she nearly hit me again on exact same roundabout. I had her charged and she was done for careless driving. This roundabout was beside a school and I couldn't let it go.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

seamus wrote: »
    It doesn't specifically say that cyclists may go right on a roundabout in the left-hand lane, but it states that's a common thing which may occur. :)
    It does not say they cannot either, whereas there are specific riules for motorists (I guess it's a bit like the use of a hard shoulder by cyclists - the general rule is motorists should not use them for "normal" driving, but there is no rule prohibiting cyclists)

I would actually always try to use the lane specified for motorists, but if I'm approaching a roundabout with a row of traffic I may in effect be forced to start in the left lane - I know however that I can keep up with motor vehicles on most roundabouts and it's quite easy to get into the right hand lane if required

The left lane "permission" is probably most useful for slow or less confident cyclists. However it is critical that they signal right if they are going to cross exits while in the left lane

• Advertisement

The left lane "permission" is probably most useful for slow or less confident cyclists. However it is critical that they signal right if they are going to cross exits while in the left lane

To be frank I think this "advice" for cyclists is deeply misguided - particularly if there is a multilane exit. Just because a driver in the left lane may slow to let a cyclist accross the exit in front of them it doesn't mean a driver going for the other lane of the exit is expecting a cyclist crossing left to right from behind another vehicle.

Consider yourselves lucky we don't have to worry about any Magic Roundabouts in Ireland

1259817.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think its to much a risk, if a person isn't that confident, they should probably find another way round as they are relying on people on the roundabout who may not pay as much attention as they should or in the flow of traffic can't stop as easily in an unexpected situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Consider yourselves lucky we don't have to worry about any Magic Roundabouts in Ireland

1259817.jpg

Came across that one unexpectedly in a car once and I have never forgotten the experinece!!!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭pmcd22

I hate them, I see so many drivers switching lanes on a roundabout and so many near misses while im driving, i just hate to think of cycling in them.

Im from the sticks so not so many out my way, just a few on the by-pass. I usually plan my routes so that if i do come across a roundabout, it will be a first exit turn so I keep left.

AS in the rules of the road, It does not give information on what position a cyclist should be in certain situations but does note that a cyclist may stay on the left hand side at all time and if not taking the next left then hold out the right arm. I suppose i will follow them guidelines but it is scary to think a driver will think you are going left and hit right into ya.

For the few roundabouts i have being on, I try to build my speed as fast i can. burn a bit of lactic acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭SheFiend

Look for eye contact with drivers who are coming onto to the roundabout (from your left) and if you do not have it assume they will drive out. Also beware of lorries,buses etc driving up behind you as you wait to enter a roundabout - you will be in their blind spot and if the driver forgets you are there( believe me it does happen..) it can get very messy. I was hit very hard on a roundabout by a driver who failed to yield when driving onto the roundabout. 5 weeks later she nearly hit me again on exact same roundabout. I had her charged and she was done for careless driving. This roundabout was beside a school and I couldn't let it go.
    Wow. She had it coming by the sounds of it, as I can't imagine it being likely that those were the only two careless manouvers she preformed on roundabouts.

Advertisement