Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good mini pump for presta valve?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lashed

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=37213
    I have one of these and unfortunatly have had to use it a couple of times. Works well though and high/low settings make it much easier to get a reasonable pressure in. Also air does not expell out while you pump as with other models.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Leyzne Road Drive mini pump. excellent - will get you to 100 psi. works on both presta and scharder valves too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

After going through a good few mini pumps, I've come to the conclusion that they are a waste of time. They are a waste of effort and money. Buy a track pump for home and a CO2 inflater for punctures on the go. If you are getting so many punctures that it's not economical, then I'd try and change tires and/or the way you are riding. I think I've gotten two punctures this year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Leyzne Road Drive mini pump. excellent - will get you to 100 psi. works on both presta and scharder valves too

+1 lezyne

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I got a BBB mini one when I first started long distance, still gets the job done better than any other mini pump I have had recommended.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    I got a BBB mini one when I first started long distance, still gets the job done better than any other mini pump I have had recommended.
    Have to totally disagree, absolute piece of rubbish. Your arms will be knackered just getting around 85psi. No way you can get close to 110psi with that.

Have to totally disagree, absolute piece of rubbish. Your arms will be knackered just getting around 85psi. No way you can get close to 110psi with that.

I checked the pressure with my SKS track pump when I get home and it read 100+ psi and you always lose a bit while attaching, that was 300km later. Can't call it rubbish myself as it got the job done for me but fair enough you have to put in the elbow grease, but I suppose it depends on the person as to if it suits.

I seen a topeak one in the local LBS claiming 160psi, never used it though.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I checked the pressure with my SKS track pump when I get home and it read 100+ psi and you always lose a bit while attaching, that was 300km later. Can't call it rubbish myself as it got the job done for me but fair enough you have to put in the elbow grease, but I suppose it depends on the person as to if it suits.

I seen a topeak one in the local LBS claiming 160psi, never used it though.
    Again just my opinion but if you want to spend an age breaking your arm with it its an okay pump but there are plenty others night and day better from my own experience so id recommend something else.

I also found the BBB one fell apart (i.e.) blew air out through the glass but maybe i was unlucky.

I also found the BBB one fell apart (i.e.) blew air out through the glass but maybe i was unlucky.

I was recommended an SKS one and I found it released air after each stroke and couldn't get anything over 60.

I agree that luck plays a role as well which is unfortunate as it really shouldn't in this day and age.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I bought one of these with my bike. Very good. Had a puncture the other day and only needed to add a small bit with the track pump when I got home (could have gotten more in with the hand pump at the time but it's diminishing returns with the small pumps beyond 90psi).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I got the Top peak micro rocket and find it excellent, though I always seem to be using it on other peoples punctures. Plenty of elbow grease required to get the tire rock hard, but short of CO2 I'd say that's always going to be the case. Problem with Co2 pumps is that punctures can be like busses, you don't get one in ages, then a bunch come one after the other.

Advertisement