Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posting Cycle Frame, How?

Options
  • 20-07-2011 6:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

I need to post my bicycle frame to Austria from Ireland.(Approx. 4lbs):confused:.What are my best options & how much should it cost approx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Go to your local bike shop and get a cardboard box from them, hopefully one for a frame, but a bike box would do.
    They should have some foam also as most bikes ship with foam on the bars.
    Postage won't be too bad. Based on weight so shouldn't be too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭021CRETE01

Hi Ex. Co.
    Good idea actually.I will do that.Thanks for your help.
    Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Postage is not just based on weight; there is this thing called dimensional weight where An Post charge by the dimensions for large, light objects.

Fortunately many smaller post offices don't seem to know this, so if you are asked to pay more than the straight weight, bring it to another post office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭021CRETE01

Hi blorg.
    I actually read up on that since and I see what you mean.I'll go to my main PO.
    Thanks a lot,
    Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

An Post have an online guide to prices here. It's quite good, you specify weight (remember to factor in the weight of the packaging, which could be substantial when dealing with cardboard), select package format (you won't get a choice for some destinations and weights, otherwise there are guidelines there for the dimensions that define each type of packet), and whether you want insurance. The few times I've used it the charges applied by the post office have matched what that site had suggested.

• Advertisement
Advertisement