Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help cat litter

Options
  • 19-07-2011 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

I have two male kittens 7 and 9 months old I have tried catsan litter tigerino crystal litter sanicat litter and wood pellets which they won't use and still havta change the trays completely every 4days or so I have 3trays in the house and spending a fortune on litter can anyone recommend a good brand that will last me longer than this
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I went through the same thing when I had my two years ago. We tried so many different ones, from the expensive Catsan, wood pellets etc and then ended up with "Thomas" , I think its from Lidl.

Its the best I've come across, cheap and manages to hold in the smell for a decent time. The clumping etc is great, it was just a case of removing this and topping it up. We only needed to clean the toilet fully once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ladyjuicy08

I tried Thomas too no good for me maybe my two just wee a lot lol but I scoop 3/5 times a day and still end up cleaning whole thing out a lest twice a week just after doing it now even though only cleaned out on sat jakey decided not clean enough for him just pee,d on my bed thanks jakey just what I want to be cleaning this hour of the nite lol .... Lucky he cute

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I use Chick crumb from the agri store. Its the exact same as worlds best litter but a lot less money. You can get a 20kg bag for about 12 euro in an agri/farm store. The scent however some people dont like, i was never bothered by it. When i wash the trays i sprinkle baking soda on the base, then put in about 2 inches of the crumb and sprinkle soem baking soda on top. The soda on the base helps the scooping and as it clumps it will come up easily. It also helps keep them fresher for longer. It does track which is the downside but a quick sweep daily sorts that. We have 9 trays and use 2 bags a month.
    We have a kennel in the enclosure with 2 trays in it and we have thomas out there as it deals better with dampness in the winter.

If you need to totaly clear out 3 trays regularly i would recommend the crumb for cheapness. If you google worlds best you will see what its like, the only difference is that the worlds best has a slightly less scent of it imo but is way more expensive.

The crumb can also be flushed down the toilet.

I completely empty my trays once a forthnight and wash them. the rest of the time i just top up with fresh litter.
    What do you guys use for washing your trays?
    I use trigene or a similar product from maxizoo. It gets rid of all smells so as long as i scoop twice daily the trays stay fresh smelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I use Pura clumping litter. I buy the big (20L I think) bag for €15 (I think, was €12) in NCF. With 1 cat and 1 litter tray that bag lasts me a few months. The clumps actually stick together so you can scoop all pee out with minimal wastage and without leaving behind dirty litter. I fill the tray right up to the top (about a good 3 or 4 inches) and with scooping out pee and poo only it takes a while to empty.

As for smells I have a very poor sense of smell anyways so don't get any smell from her litter tray, poo smells has a lot to do with diet anyways so avoid the likes of whiskas and feed a high quality diet and it will cut down on smells.

For years I used Thomas and it was costing a fortune because it wouldn't clump properly so ended up dumping all the litter in the tray every 2/3 days and at over €4 per small bag (didn't realise you could buy big bags) I went through a good bit.

Only con I have with pura is that is tracks all over the room something awful, my tray has a lip all around the edge and she still manages to kick a little out over the edge and it must get stuck in her paws and when she gets out of the tray she spreads it around the room, but a quick sweep in the morning sorts that out. It's a white bag with a picture of a black and white cat on it.

• Advertisement

I use a spray can't remember name I got off zoo plus and just bought all new trays incase they were absorbing the smells living in swords so might try find somewhere sells chicken crumb maybe give it a try can't do any harm try anything at this stage

TBH if you are needing to clear out the trays that often i would try the crumb or the Pura as has been suggested by previous poster. Not alot of money wasted if they dont work.
    Try the soda to and filling the trays a lot.

Yeah thanks that what am thinking

http://http://www.citylocal.ie/business/209919/FingalFarmSupplies/

Maybe try this place? Dont know if they do the crumb or are still on te go.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Sassy58

+1 to the pura cat litter (lavender scented :D) - I have a multi cat household and any number of waifes and strays staying at any time and have to say I find it great for cleaning out and lasts longer - I was using sanicat and was going through a 30L bag of it a week where now I am going through maybe 1 & 1/2 bags of pura a month - big difference

To stop it trecking get a covered litter tray

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

the cheapest is tesco vale, its a great litter but is very dusty which isnt great for some cats. Ive been using it for years and its better than the thomas one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I use the Lidl one in the blue bag, Otto or something like that- €2.99. I find it grand tbh. I tend to scoop out the dirt once a day as i only put ~2inches in at a time. Clean as i they go basically! Sounds alot of effort but i find having to clean out a huge full litter tray at the end of a week worse. I dont like the idea of them digging around in their own faeces all week and dragging it around the place so i dont fill it more than that. I dust a bit of baby talc in too, to dry any residual moisture and to keep the smell down. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

BengaLover wrote: »
    the cheapest is tesco vale, its a great litter but is very dusty which isnt great for some cats. Ive been using it for years and its better than the thomas one.

I think it was that or maybe the asda value stuff I remember using at one point and by god the dust was awful, you'd poor some in and you'd have to vacate the room or you'd end up with dust covered clothes and coughing fits, and paw shaped dust prints all over the floor and countertops. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

If you are near a PetMania store they have an excellent litter brand - Simplicity. I tried a few different kinds before, and this is brill stuff - clumps brilliantly, not smelly, and doesn't track too much. You only need to scoop out the clumps & poo every day, and the main tray only needs cleaning every couple weeks. Because it clumps so well, it is v. easy to scoop out the waste, and the tray is nice and clean again for fussy kitties.

Wow thanks everyone for the help so many options lol to choose from

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

+1 to MsFifers - I use the same cat litter (Simplicity) from Petmania. It is great stuff. I tried different cat litter (sanicat,lidl, aldi, catsan, the crystal ones) and find simplicity cat litter the best. It really clumps well and absorb odors - just make sure to scoop daily.
    I find that cat litter so good that I clean fully the litter tray only every 2weeks and my cat is BIIIIG and does lots of 1s (and 2 as well :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

3 week litter from maxizoo, its around 11 euro but amazing

Chick crumb went in thurs so far so good fingers crossed still looking and smelling fine :)

brilliant! Hoep it continues to work for you.

• Advertisement

Thanks so far finding it great so easy to scoop and keep clean etc ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I made good experiences with the Tesco litter, the antibacterial one. Forgot the name now, but it's a blue bag ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Chick crumb went in thurs so far so good fingers crossed still looking and smelling fine :)
    Where did ya buy it? Might give it a go myself..;)

Got small bag in pet shop in kinsealy only place could find it hoping I will find elsewhere as that won't last long found it more difficult find baking soda all could find was baking powder wasn't sure if there was a difference

http://whitesagri.ie/Section10/page2.aspx

Is this close enough for you to travel to? I know its hard to find an agricultural suppliers in Dublin. This place is in lusk. ANd they deliver.
    The chick crumb i get is the Red mills Broiler/chick starter crumb. Cost me 12.50 for the bag (20kg i think).

The baking soda is better as its just Bicarb of soda. The powder has an extra acidifying agent in it but I have used it too with no problems as it can be difficult to get the soda.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Goddammit if only I had the capacity to set up as a distributer for Oz-Pet in Ireland... :(

Thanks lusk not too far am only in swords :) mite go the weekend have a look as litter still looking good ....happy times

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

I tried Thomas too no good for me maybe my two just wee a lot lol but I scoop 3/5 times a day and still end up cleaning whole thing out a lest twice a week just after doing it now even though only cleaned out on sat jakey decided not clean enough for him just pee,d on my bed thanks jakey just what I want to be cleaning this hour of the nite lol .... Lucky he cute

I feel your pain... my Mao-ka-now (he grew up too cool to be called mittens :cool:) punished me by pooping in the closet where I keep my shoes (one is a pair of jimmy choo sling-backs which cost me a small fortune back in the days of the tiger :mad:) to teach me a lesson because his litter tray was not clean enough for his liking.

Also, my flatmates kitten pooped beside the litter tray and then successfully pulled a turd into her knickers that had fallen off the airer just to make it quite clear that he was not happy with her level of cleanliness :P...

They have a way of showing their displeasure!

Advertisement