Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL - Where to buy, and a few other questions

Options
  • 19-07-2011 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of grabbing a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL

Anyone got a good deal on a set recently ? and if so from where

I have looked at loads of different web sites and the price is different everywhere from 699 to crazy money

I have read loads of reviews and only downside I see is they are slightly slower on climbs ,but considering they weigh what one of my ritchly wheel weighs shouldnt bother me too much.

Current Wheels:

Front Wheel Weight:
    1170 g
    Rear Wheel Weight:
    1738 g
    Rims Model:
    Ritchey DS Pro

I'll use them for club and next season open racing and duathlons and hopefully etape if I get a place.

They hold their value really well , have a 2yr warranty which is why I'm more inclined to go with them than some full carbon Hong fu type wheels

Any reasons not to get them ?

And yes one of the reasons I want them as opposed to lighter fulcrums etc is cause I like the look of them !

Also Im clueless when it comes to cassettes , is it just a case of buying the same as the one I have and putting it on the new wheel , do ya need special tools ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

dario28 wrote: »
    Any reasons not to get them ?

Heavy, rattly, ugly, fill up with water.

Lots of people rave about them, and then sell them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Lumen wrote: »

Ugly ? Ya reckon

What would ya suggest instead ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

FFWD !

Ugly ? Ya reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Mine are not rattly, I think up to 2010 models were very noisy but whatever they did on the 2011 models fixed it. Heavy yes, ugly debatable. They also make an awesome whooping sound. And yes I am going to sell them to buy tubs :pac:

Ugly ? Ya reckon

Ah, there are loads of ways to waste money on wheels. Carbones are just one option of many, depends what you're looking for.

I'm not saying they're bad wheels as such, I'm just saying that if they really were the one wheel to rule them all there wouldn't be so many for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jiffybag

Fulcrum Red Wind 50mm Clinchers . Maybe a few quid more expensive but a proper carbon rim with an Alu braking surface . As made by Campag but at an affordable price .

http://www.i-ride.co.uk/fulcrum/red_wind/Fulcrum_Red_Wind_Clincher_FandR.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Ugly ? Ya reckon

Ah, there are loads of ways to waste money on wheels. Carbones are just one option of many, depends what you're looking for.

I'm not saying they're bad wheels as such, I'm just saying that if they really were the one wheel to rule them all there wouldn't be so many for sale.
    I think the reason you see more carbonnes for sale second-hand is that they last. a lot of other deep carbon wheels end up in the bin before they make it adverts.

niceonetom wrote: »
    I think the reason you see more carbonnes for sale second-hand is that they last. a lot of other deep carbon wheels end up in the bin before they make it adverts.

That's because carbones are not carbon wheels, they're alloy wheels with a fairing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

ive a pair of 2010 ones. they're great wheels. they're fairly strong and ya dont have to look after them, a few pot holes wont do them any harm.
    mine were rattly as F*** when i got them didnt know what was wrong with them but then figured out it was just the valve extension. stick a bit of insulatin tape on that and its grand. 540 euro brand knew on ebay. about another 140 for a block, tires, tubes

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

Also Im clueless when it comes to cassettes , is it just a case of buying the same as the one I have and putting it on the new wheel , do ya need special tools ?

Yes, buy the same (or similar) one (or just use the one on your current wheel). You need 2 things to change the cassette - a chain whip to hold the cassette in place and a special adapter that you insert into the slot at the front of the cassette allowing you to tighten/untighten it with an adjustable wrench.

Google 'changing a bike cassette' - loads of stuff on Youtube. Some people will say you can do this without a chain whip, but I certainly can't.

Alternatives to the Carbones? If you want to go low end, look at, for example, the Gigantex carbon 50mm rim clincher at wheelsmith.co.uk for £600.

http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/wheelprices.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Nwm2 wrote: »
    Yes, buy the same (or similar) one (or just use the one on your current wheel). You need 2 things to change the cassette - a chain whip to hold the cassette in place and a special adapter that you insert into the slot at the front of the cassette allowing you to tighten/untighten it with an adjustable wrench.

Google 'changing a bike cassette' - loads of stuff on Youtube. Some people will say you can do this without a chain whip, but I certainly can't.

Alternatives to the Carbones? If you want to go low end, look at, for example, the Gigantex carbon 50mm rim clincher at wheelsmith.co.uk for £600.

http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/wheelprices.htm

Thanks - The best price I have so far is 689eur incl 2 GP4000s

Advertisement