Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HomePlugs...

Options
  • 19-07-2011 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi all,

Due to problems with laying a LAN cable accross the hallway into my apartment from the communal Router outside my door ("Somebody will break their neck on that..."), I was going to opt for the HomePlugs route.

The electrical wiring might not be the greatest here cos it's a 100year+ old Georgian house, but I hope it'll be a better option than Xbox wireless card... which tbh is unplayable even though it's only 5m away from the router.

I seem to remember some of you lot might be using HomePlugs.
    How do you find them for playing online SSF4AE?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

Sadly i don't have any advise to offer as i've never used them, but i'm also wondering about this. My friend also has AE and can't play online due to constant wireless disconnects. Anyone use these for gaming? Even on PSN or XBL just to know if there's lagging or disconnections regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

If you have a laptop/computer you use that as a receiver if it has a stronger wireless signal then wire that to your xbox,it's what I did upstairs due to the xbox dongle not being great.You could try that as an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I've done the bridging a connection through the laptop shtick. I do not recommend it. It's generally awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Darachnid

Yeah I did the laptop bridge thing too, it sucked poor quality chicken balls.
    My xbox is only 5m from the router but when I have the LAN in I notice much better play, it's obvious. If only the frail, nazi landlady didn't mind the trip-hazard in the hall it would be fine. But she does, and it isn't.

The thing about HomePlugs is; there is no wireless part. It uses the hurty-wires that hide behind the plug sockets. The nice electrons mexican-wave the ssfiv goodness directly into the xbox. Thus, I hope, no added lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Until someone responds about the Homeplugs, maybe you could try throwing a small mat down over the cable when you run it across the hall?

• Advertisement

Nah, I'd still get my fingernails pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

what about running the cable along the ceiling if she doesn't mind getting a few small nails into the wall that is lol.

Right I'll do that now.

Anyone got the number of a Dublin hostel... open late?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

black%20cat%205%20clip.jpg?

Run along the wall, nice and tidy like? Does anyone else in the house use the tinterweb with an RJ45 connection or do they use the wireless? Just a thought.

Re plugs - my mate Dave said they are brilliant although he is always reading stuff online and taking the reviews as facts. Couldn't tell you from experience. The old nature of the house might be problematic for data transfer. If there is any exposed wiring or such, you might get packet loss. I suppose the only way to really find out is to try them out.

Not being smart, and with respect to some techies on this forum, but you might be best posting here. They would probably be better suited to answering your question definitively?!

Aj

Advertisement