Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Hoover for Pet Hair

Options
  • 19-07-2011 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

We have a birman cat that does a fair amount of shedding. We bought a Furminator that tends to get rid of a lot of hair but we don't use it as often as we should, ie every frikkin day!

Anyway, does anyone have a recommendation for a good hoover for pet hair? i have been reading mixed reviews of Dyson's animal range but have heard good stuff about miele's pet vacuums. Our vacuum doesn't have a rotating brush so a lot of hair is not gathered up when going over the carpet with the vacuum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Miele is the way to go :) They have them on special offer in Harvey Normans at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

We've a Dyson and they do loose suction big time, probably better off with a Miele.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

Haven't had any issues with my dyson and my dog sheds a lot. I do wash out the filters every 6 months or so though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Got a Dyson animal upright after Christmas and it really does pick up the hair - I've got 2 cats and a dog and the stuff does get everywhere. Also the amount of ground in mud it got out of the hall carpet on first use was amazing! Much better than my old vacuum. Haven't noticed it losing suction, but you are meant to wash the filters every 3 months, so I imagine if you don't, it probably will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

i've a dyson animal and it does the trick. Seriously good.

If they lose suction its cos theres a blockage somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

hi

we have a persian cat so feel your pain... we went for the Morphy Richards pets bagless vacuum cleaner because it had such great reviews on the argos site. But I don't think it's that good (suction somehow not that strong) and wish added that bit of extra cash and bought a dyson...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

By the way, I got my Dyson from Amazon, much cheaper than Argos and since I don't have a car, it meant I didn't have to lug it home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Nollipop

Bought a new hoover last week for the very same reason (well, white greyhound hair everywhere) and couldn't afford to stump up for a Dyson or Miele (plus I hate shelling out for bags.)

Got a Vax Power 6 from Argos in the end. Great carpet-brushing tool plus a smaller version of same tool for car/upholstery.

The bedroom looks lots better already. Its been raining so haven't tried it on the car yet. With 3 dogs in there everyday, it mounts up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ohmfg

We had the dyson animal, the upright one and honestly it was rubbish.

Out of complete frustration I went out and bought a Miele pet and it is the greatest ever. We have 4 dogs and 3 cats and it deals with all the hair without a problem. The rotating brush is brilliant, really pulls the hair out of the carpet and the ordinary brush head deals with the wooden floors.

Really couldn't fault the Miele, it is a bit pricy but in the long run much better value than the cheaper brands that aren't as good and wont last as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I got thsi bag one before in curry's and it had a rotating brush built in (old style american kinda hoovers) and my god it was unreal! Not a hair left.....however you need bags. Sorry i cannot remember the name :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

Would reccomend the Dyson Animal also. It does a great job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

We got a Miele pet one too. It's the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

You are fighting a losing battle there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

we just bought the Miele 5000 cat & dog to replace our old vacuum and the difference is amazing.

we were actually going in to get a Dyson Animal, but the girl in the shop said to at least think about the Miele instead as they had been using a Dyson to do the showroom floors but switched to the Miele 5000 (not the animal one tho) after the Dyson broke and couldn't believe the difference it made.

i checked out the Miele on Amazon and there were 35 reviews and every single one was a 5 star and nobody had a single bad thing to say about it in any of them, so we took the plunge and bought it.

the first review i read on amazon said:
    Incedible...and I mean that.

I worked in hotels for 16 years and I have used literally dozens of vacuum cleaners. None, not even one, comes close to the Miele Cat & Dog.
    it's hard to argue with a statement like that. :)

Anyway, we got it home and tried it out in our front room, first on a thick rug with the spinning brush attachment and it cleaned it so well that the rug actually looks brand new. There were actually crystals on the outside of it from where we'd used some shake n vac over 3 years ago on the rug to get rid of the smell of kitten pee and they'd never come out even after being vacuumed dozens of times since.

then i gave it another go around on the wooden floors and it was actually sucking out dust bunnies from right under the sofa even though it wasn't even that close to it in the first place.

anyway, it looks like i'll be doing the thick carpet in the bedroom tonight even though i only did it last weekend with the old vacuum, but i guess it beats having to get a carpet cleaner out. :)

one of the best things about it is the different power settings. i tried it on the lowest power setting and even though it's whisper quiet it still picks up the dirt and you could actually vacuum around someone watching TV and they wouldn't even need to turn it up.

my wife is actually due to give birth on wednesday, so a quiet vacuum is going to be a godsend. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

We have a birman cat that does a fair amount of shedding. We bought a Furminator that tends to get rid of a lot of hair but we don't use it as often as we should, ie every frikkin day!

Anyway, does anyone have a recommendation for a good hoover for pet hair? i have been reading mixed reviews of Dyson's animal range but have heard good stuff about miele's pet vacuums. Our vacuum doesn't have a rotating brush so a lot of hair is not gathered up when going over the carpet with the vacuum.

I have a miele, really powerful, but they are expensive. You can get the bags cheaply online however.

mcwhirter wrote: »
    I have a miele, really powerful, but they are expensive. You can get the bags cheaply online however.
    we just popped into power city in navan and picked one up and it was only 20 quid or so more than the equiv. dyson, so i think they're very good value considering how good they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

We got a Miele pet one too. It's the job.

+1 Miele... they are the business. I live in a house with 1 Cocker Spaniel, 2 LHD cats and 1 SHD cat with a front door that opens out to 12 stables and since I got the Miele, I can finally breath normally again. Happy happy!

+1 Miele... they are the business. I live in a house with 1 Cocker Spaniel, 2 LHD cats and 1 SHD cat with a front door that opens out to 12 stables and since I got the Miele, I can finally breath normally again. Happy happy!
    you have two Left Hand Drive cats? are they french? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

vibe666 wrote: »

Not as bad as me, I read that as 2 LSD cats! :eek: But I think they mean long haired domestic! :D

vibe666 wrote: »

HeHeeeee LSD cats driving Left hand drive cars - not cats - would be really dangerous!

But yes, i meant long-haired moggies :)

Shame they can't drive, Im sick of driving to the store for cat nuts - they are such little pigs!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

HeHeeeee LSD cats driving Left hand drive cars - not cats - would be really dangerous!

But yes, i meant long-haired moggies :)

Shame they can't drive, Im sick of driving to the store for cat nuts - they are such little pigs!!!!

I think you might regret it if they suddenly grew opposable thumbs! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6CcxJQq1x8 Think of all the things they would do! :eek:

"Jog on kitties!!!" Love it!!!!!!

p.s. get the Miele :P

Advertisement