Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dawes Discovery 301

Options
  • 19-07-2011 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭

Hi there, just looking for some quick advice from someone a bit more knowledgeable than me.

Been shopping around for a decent, affordable hybrid for a few days now and today I was offered a second hand Dawes 301 for €300. It's a sweet bike and I'd love to have it, but I'm wondering if it's the best value I can get for the money?

Being a poor student, I want to be absolutely certain I'm making the right buy here. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Hi there, just looking for some quick advice from someone a bit more knowledgeable than me.

Been shopping around for a decent, affordable hybrid for a few days now and today I was offered a second hand Dawes 301 for €300. It's a sweet bike and I'd love to have it, but I'm wondering if it's the best value I can get for the money?

Being a poor student, I want to be absolutely certain I'm making the right buy here. Thanks!

I had one about 10 years ago and it was not much more new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I think they're about 400e new. You're not necessarily getting ripped off for 300e but it's by no means the deal of the century.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Dawes Discovery 301 is €500 new (there is the 201 and 101 below it) so €300 could be reasonable if it is in good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

http://www.dawescycles.com/c-5-discovery-bikes.aspx Dawes says 360£ which is 410e, suppose it depends where you're buying though. I definitely wouldn't pay 500e for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Dawes have a great reputation and I like your hair, I'd say go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

http://www.dawescycles.com/c-5-discovery-bikes.aspx Dawes says 360£ which is 410e, suppose it depends where you're buying though. I definitely wouldn't pay 500e for one.
    UK RRP is lower than Irish RRP. If you haven't noticed that before now, I wonder...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's a sweet bike and I'd love to have it, but I'm wondering if it's the best value I can get for the money?

Put simply, NO. There are better bikes for better money.

That said, if it is the bike you want and it is in good condition and you can afford it why the hell are you asking anyone else? Unless of course you don't?

Go up to Rothar or google Dublin Bikeman or Freemans cycles (10 minutes from TCD and where I got my first second hand bike in great nick for 100 pound) or even ask security about abandoned bicycles if it is not the droids bike you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Didn't see the above post until now, and I bought it this morning :o

Fortunately, I love it. Absolutely delighted with my purchase. Thanks for all the input!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Didn't see the above post until now, and I bought it this morning :o

Fortunately, I love it. Absolutely delighted with my purchase. Thanks for all the input!

Congrats, once your happy that's all that matters, enjoy it.

Advertisement