Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Megaman Legends 3 canned

Options
  • 19-07-2011 2:58pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So the game that would have sold me the 3DS has just been canned by Capcom, even after making a song and dance about letting the community design parts of the game. Capcom have gone from one of my favourite developers to one of the worst.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its part of a bigger story. Lots of 3DS cancellations have been announced in the last few days...

http://kotaku.com/5822519/whats-with-all-the-cancelled-3ds-games

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

What IS with all the cancelled 3DS games? Is this due to the lesser-than-expected hardware sales?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr E wrote: »
    Its part of a bigger story. Lots of 3DS cancellations have been announced in the last few days...

http://kotaku.com/5822519/whats-with-all-the-cancelled-3ds-games

That's not that many cancellation if you take into consideration that most were cancelled over Konami's buy out of Hudson where they cancelled all of hudsons non-casual orientated games.

The 3DS is actually selling well despite the doom and gloom press, just no where near as well as expected. I think that most companies thought there'd be a bigger uptake of the 3DS by the casual crowd but with such an insane price it didn't happen.

This also surfaced:

XRRim.png

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    This also surfaced:

XRRim.png

If that's not a photoshop job I'll eat my 3DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i could not care less for megaman, but capcom did became very ****y.

1. CvM 3 dlc droped, becouse it failed
    2. RE on 3ds save system
    3. this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I've said it once, and I'll say it again:

Bring out cheap systems, and market them well.
    €150 would be about right.
    <€90 would be PERFECT.

The world is crying out for a real GameBoy...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The problem with the 3DS is that it's biggest selling point - the 3D - is not something that people really want. It's a nice little gimmick that looks good when you see it first but for every single 3DS game I have now, I don't use it.

I think Nintendo may have made a mistake in hitching their horse to the 3D fad. Even in cinema's 2D versions of 3D films are proving more and more popular. Just going by annecdotal evidence, I think people have seen 3D, thought it was cool initially but now aren't really bothered by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I'm still waiting on Capcom to release an English version of Ace Attorney Investigations 2...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

That's not that many cancellation if you take into consideration that most were cancelled over Konami's buy out of Hudson where they cancelled all of hudsons non-casual orientated games.

The 3DS is actually selling well despite the doom and gloom press, just no where near as well as expected. I think that most companies thought there'd be a bigger uptake of the 3DS by the casual crowd but with such an insane price it didn't happen.

This also surfaced:

XRRim.png
    >Bateman's face when it didn't.

14.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The problem with the 3DS is that it's biggest selling point - the 3D - is not something that people really want. It's a nice little gimmick that looks good when you see it first but for every single 3DS game I have now, I don't use it.

I think Nintendo may have made a mistake in hitching their horse to the 3D fad. Even in cinema's 2D versions of 3D films are proving more and more popular. Just going by annecdotal evidence, I think people have seen 3D, thought it was cool initially but now aren't really bothered by it.

TBH, the real selling point of the 3DS is that it's simply better hardware. Screw 3D, I just want prettier and smoother games! Thank Nintendo for the slider :pac:

I do feel it's a bit early to be calling 'failure' yet. It tends to be months or even years before the system sellers start coming out, and price cuts / hardware revisions are surely inevitable in this case. But the cancellation of more unusual games is a cause for concern - personally, I think the availability of non-third party games is what makes or breaks a console. The DS wasn't great simply because of Nintendo. If Capcom can't do it, hopefully others will provide the inventive 'new' stuff that will make a 3DS a must-own.

• Advertisement

Guess we gotta take it easy~

99283b2e3a27dda2227db3c9127448e4.jpg

TBH, the real selling point of the 3DS is that it's simply better hardware. Screw 3D, I just want prettier and smoother games! Thank Nintendo for the slider :pac:

I do feel it's a bit early to be calling 'failure' yet. It tends to be months or even years before the system sellers start coming out, and price cuts / hardware revisions are surely inevitable in this case. But the cancellation of more unusual games is a cause for concern - personally, I think the availability of non-third party games is what makes or breaks a console. The DS wasn't great simply because of Nintendo. If Capcom can't do it, hopefully others will provide the inventive 'new' stuff that will make a 3DS a must-own.

No m8. Selling point from nintendo view and casual gamer is 3d bull****.

Selling point from a gamer is better hardware.

When I wanted to buy it I was thinking of: woooow it can run re5 alike game! That is impressive on handheld. 3d was just a gimmick to show it to misses now and then.

I am really happy I did not jumped on 3ds bandwagon. 300eu well saved.

Master of the Universe

No m8. Selling point from nintendo view and casual gamer is 3d bull****.

Selling point from a gamer is better hardware.

When I wanted to buy it I was thinking of: woooow it can run re5 alike game! That is impressive on handheld. 3d was just a gimmick to show it to misses now and then.

I am really happy I did not jumped on 3ds bandwagon. 300eu well saved.

Hater's gonna hate :p

I bought it for a pretty simple reason. I always love Nintendo handhelds. This is the next one in their line of releases.

It has greater hardware capabilities than it's predecessor. It's going to have great first party Nintendo releases. Therefore I had to buy one.

I quite like the 3D, but just see it as an added feature. The console works perfectly fine without it and I still would have bought one if it didn't have that feature but all the others.

It's pretty cool to hate 3D at the moment. Fair enough. I don't see how that takes away from everything else the console can do though.

As johnny_ultimate said, thanks Nintendo for the slider :pac:

o1s1n wrote: »
    Hater's gonna hate :p

I bought it for a pretty simple reason. I always love Nintendo handhelds. This is the next one in their line of releases.

It has greater hardware capabilities than it's predecessor. It's going to have great first party Nintendo releases. Therefore I had to buy one.

I quite like the 3D, but just see it as an added feature. The console works perfectly fine without it and I still would have bought one if it didn't have that feature but all the others.

It's pretty cool to hate 3D at the moment. Fair enough. I don't see how that takes away from everything else the console can do though.

As johnny_ultimate said, thanks Nintendo for the slider :pac:

Ah don't understand me wrong. 3ds 3d thing works and works very well, but I could not see myself Playing alot of it.

Horrible horrible launch really made 3ds useless. Waiting for 2-3 months to get one decent game is idiotic. That decent game is not new game it's not even sequel, it's a remake...

I will be hated for that, but all nintendo needs to do with new generation is just add some stupid gimmick which will be forgotten after 1 month, then rehash old zelda/Mario game and you got your fanbot army satisfied again.

I honestly game a chance to zelda games, they were allright, but they were not something that you would sell your mother for!!! It was meh at best.

I allways wanted a ds, but not because of Mario zelda. I liked all sort of RPGs on it. Biggest reason I wanted ds - advanced wars. I am a turn based strategy fanboy lol :) .

Sorry for going off topic, as the main star in this thread is capcom. They are becoming really bad lately.

I don't even remember how many sf4 versions are there now. They were one of the first ones to make skins as dlcs. Canned all CvM dlcs, because mortal kombat came out, which is way better package all around. Add issue from this thread too. List goes and goes.

P.s I am considering getting 3ds slim thought ;)

Master of the Universe

Ah don't understand me wrong. 3ds 3d thing works and works very well, but I could not see myself Playing alot of it.

Ah yeah, I know what you mean. But still, it's nice to have. Will also be nice to see what future innovative uses it's put to beyond your usual 3d effects.
    Horrible horrible launch really made 3ds useless. Waiting for 2-3 months to get one decent game is idiotic. That decent game is not new game it's not even sequel, it's a remake...;)

I will be hated for that, but all nintendo needs to do with new generation is just add some stupid gimmick which will be forgotten after 1 month, then rehash old zelda/Mario game and you got your fanbot army satisfied again.

I honestly game a chance to zelda games, they were allright, but they were not something that you would sell your mother for!!! It was meh at best.

I allways wanted a ds, but not because of Mario zelda. I liked all sort of RPGs on it. Biggest reason I wanted ds - advanced wars. I am a turn based strategy fanboy lol :) .

Sorry for going off topic, as the main star in this thread is capcom. They are becoming really bad lately.

I don't even remember how many sf4 versions are there now. They were one of the first ones to make skins as dlcs. Canned all CvM dlcs, because mortal kombat came out, which is way better package all around. Add issue from this thread too. List goes and goes.

P.s I am considering getting 3ds slim thought ;)

I take it if you love Advance Wars, you've heard of Ghost:Recon Shadow Wars? It's practically an Advance Wars game in everything but name. I bought it a little while after I got my 3DS a few months back and it's been keeping me going since. Every time someone says there's no good new games worth playing on the 3DS I point them at that.

As for Capcom, well...all I can say is their best days are well and truely behind them. It's mental to think this is the same company who brought us so many great games in the 90s.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just remember that it was the guts of a year before the Wii got its killer app in Super Mario Galaxy. You could say Twilight Princess at launch was one, but hey that was available on the Gamecube so for me anyway didn't count as a system seller!

As for Capcom, give us Zack and Wiki 2 - probably still in the top three or four third party Wii games - for 3DS and all will be forgiven ;) Not that it will ever happen, but a man can dream.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No decent software on a new system non-shocker. Give the 3DS a year and it will be a much better machine. Every console suffers from a lack of good software in it's first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No decent software on a new system non-shocker. Give the 3DS a year and it will be a much better machine. Every console suffers from a lack of good software in it's first year.

I don't doubt that. What I do doubt is that the 3DS will gain the critical mass sales numbers required for third party developers to take it seriously. The price and confusion and apathy towards 3D lead me to believe that we could end with a Gamecube type scenario, where you only get one game worth playing ever three or four months.

Of course, with it being Nintendo, I could be wrong. Many have written off the DS and Wii in the past and they proved to be huge hits. So much so that there may be a reluctance to upgrade from a DS to a 3DS when it costs north of €220 and Nintendo haven't been able to communicate why it's worth buying.

Christmas will be the deal breaker. If anyone bought a DS or PS2 at launch they can tell you that the software situation there was a hell of a lot worse. Nintendo really have to lower the price, especially considering the price of the Vita and need to advertise it better. Calling it the 3DS was a big mistake since it seems like another DSi style ugrade rather than the new console and they seem to be making the same mistake with the WiiU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Horrible horrible launch really made 3ds useless. Waiting for 2-3 months to get one decent game is idiotic.

Just like every other console launch ever. Though I'll admit if my DS lite wasn't busted I'd have no interest in getting a 3DS.

It seems a bit ridiculous to be honest. Just shows how crap Capcom's upper management is. They should have at least pushed out that downloadable prototype to gauge the market.

• Advertisement

I think there's major trouble at Capcom. If it wasn't for monster hunter they'd be in big trouble. They've lost almost all their talent and it says a lot when Inafune gets to work on Megaman Legends 3, which is his dream project he has been campaigning to make for the last 10 years and then ups and leaves/gets fired, we'll never know which.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Capcom blames the fans for it's cancellation. Are they getting more stupid, greedy or both recently? As Retro said they are swiftly going from one of my favourite companies to one of my most hated. The Activision/ E.A. of Asia.

http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/2011/07/capcom_blames_the_fans_for_mega_man_legends_3_cancellation

Azure_sky wrote: »
    Capcom blames the fans for it's cancellation. Are they getting more stupid, greedy or both recently? As Retro said they are swiftly going from one of my favourite companies to one of my most hated. The Activision/ E.A. of Asia.

http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/2011/07/capcom_blames_the_fans_for_mega_man_legends_3_cancellation

Please understand that there is such a thing as a VOCAL MINORITY.
    As in: "lots of vocal fans" can actually equate to "fewer than 100k sales", which equates to "sorry, but we can't afford to spend money to make these games".

But hey: Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

You'd think a company as big as Capcom would have better market research though. I mean using internet forums as market research is pretty amateur.

Neather Realm and Tecmo gives us free alt costumes to unlock and more free alts as DLC in MK9 and DOA: Dimensions. Namco lets us make our own in Tekken and Soul Calibur. Capcom charges twenty quid for a new set of character costumes...

Advertisement