Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Unplanned New Puppy & existing dog

Options
  • 19-07-2011 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi,

We found a puppy tied up on beach two weeks ago and seems he is going to stay. Vet reckons about 12 weeks old now, male collie cross. Will get him neutered when old enough

We have a 5 year old female retriever, very very calm and loving dog. Spayed.

Also in house 3 1/2 year old twins, not at all calm and an 18 month old who thinks he is three. It is a busy house. They are dog mad and totally obsessed with the puppy, as he is new and small.

Problems I am struggling with and perhaps you can make some suggestions:

1. Twins lifting the puppy, pulling him by collar, always seems to grab him at the mouth and he is little nippy. Yes I hear you teach them not to, well I am trying and am constantly pulling them up on it. Then Vet tells me let them do anyting with puppy to get him use to hem? Where do I draw the line? They do lie on Blondie, and try to sit on her etc, which I also stop but to be honest she just gets up and walks away or comes to me, much calmer but then much older and use to the madness.

2. Dogs constantly nipping at each other etc, I know this is normal dog stuff, my sister actually has Blondie's sister and we meet regularly and they do this but at some point they stop. Puppy seems to be at it all the time, when Blondie gets fed up she is quick enough to let him know. Do I leave them at it? I don't allow them to do it inside as house not big enough. Both have little nips and cuts from it. Blondie is protective of her bone and one particular teddy and growls at him, do I allow this, presume I leave them to it and she will be the dominant one? Kids also tend to go over to join in, as they think they are fighting.

3. Walks. On walks I could always leave Blondie off as she is good off lead and tends to stay near the kids but this took until she was nearly 1 1/2. Now I have to train puppy, but when he sees Blondie off lead he goes mad to get free, I am also watching two toddlers and pushing a buggy so struggling on this. He is good to come back but does get distracted by other dogs and still tends to jump up on people so don't like him to do that to strangers. I can't fit in two separate walks a day? Would it be ok to bring Blondie on walk on her own some days and then just bring him to back field for a play?

4. Toilet training is going ok, but he tends to poo at night, any tips on this?

5. Know be given out to for this, Blondie is allowed on furniture, and I don't want to change that, love snuggles at night. Vet said should not allow puppy on couch, he does jump straight on my lap, worried it might cause jealously with Blodnie, although I bring her over too. Should I keep him on floor? Also puppy follows me everywhere, cries when I go upstairs or separate from him, presume as he gets older will calm down a little? What are collies like?

6. Last question I promise, I find it hard to do anything separate with Blondie, eg, brushing etc with out puppy joining in, so am having to lock him out for that. Do they finally get use to each other and will they calm down?

Also trying to keep kids involved, by helping to feed, brush and hold the lead etc.

Any tips suggestions welcome as I am a little overwhelmed at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I typed a long reply to you this morning and my computer went a bit funny and it lost the post, so annoying.

So I will start again, I was hoping someone else would have posted everything I said by now so I could just +1 it!!

Re the walks, puppies are only supposed to be walked about 5mins for every month of their age so you could leave pup at home and walk Blondie separately and that would be fine, a 5 year old retriever would need a good bit of excercise I would imagine! Do you have a crate for the pup, it would be peace of mind for you to leave the pup crated as well whilst out that way avoiding any destructive chewing etc, the crate is a great place for pup to go and 'chill out' by itself, it's own little space, most importantly it should be a 'good place' to go and not a place to send it to punish it.

Re the play fighting/biting - my two do this indoors loads, it's fine but when I want them to stop I just go over and clap my hands and say 'stop' and they do, outside they're normally chasing each other, bit of play fighting but they've never marked or scratched each other but I'm sure it's not a cause for worry if they're just little cuts or scratches but do keep an eye.

Re the pooping, well pups poop a lot and if the house training is going well otherwise I wouldn't worry, it will stop at nighttime after a bit, also just make sure you're not feeding or giving a big drink too soon before bedtime.

Up on the sofa, well look, I let my two up on the sofa it really doesn't bother me and if you let one up and you don't mind the other coming up I don't see the problem with that, I love cuddling up on the sofa with them and now we have two I get one and husband gets the other one and we have a big sofa!!

Don't know if that's any help to you, sounds like you have your hands full and I admire you for keeping the pup, in fact I'm wondering if I read about you finding the pup on another chat forum...??!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Oh Lord, you really have your hands full.
    First off you seem to be doing well.

Pup's only need 5 mins of exercise per month of age, so for now, putting the lead on and walking to the end of the road and back a couple of times a day would be fine, have lots of off lead playing on grass too to wear him out.
    They will get on better once they sort out some ground rules, leave them at it unless it gets too serious, give older dogs some free time from the pup.

I would try crate training for nights, keeps the pup secure and safe from wreaking the place and will help with house training, try feeding evening meal earlier too, may help with pooping.
    As for the sofa, that up to you, your house, your rules, but I would make him wait until asked up, that will prevent any sudden leaps that may bother Goldie.

As for the kids, they'll learn just keep it up, and good on you for taking on this pup. :)

A long lead or extending lead can be great for teaching recall if you have a big open space nearby.

You wait all day for an answer and 2 come along at once ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭lacreme

Well found out at Vet last night that fudge is actually a girl!!!!! Had thought that but husband was told on first visit a boy and as hadn't seen boy puppy we just went with that ha, son is not too happy that fudge is not a boy!!! Also he reckons she is more on 16 weeks as has second teeth coming up

Anyway thanks for all the advice. I do have a large crate from when we had Blondie, was holding it off putting it up as just another thing my wild children can climb.

At the moment if we are out, fudge and Blondie are out in the back garden and have the conservatory open, so nothing she can destroy. At nigthtime they are in the hallway and they now sleep in the same bed, again nothing for puppy to destroy. I have ordered a little bed for fudge from zooplus hope it arrives tomorrow and I did separate them yesterday evening so fudge would have a nap as they were both worn out after Vet visit. I will work on the free time for Blondie, that's probably where crate will come in. Just wasn't liking the thought of leaving fudge on her own. Hard enough leaving Blondie when I bring the kids out for little walk down the road, she goes ballistic at the window ha and I end up going back for her

Will ease back on the walks for fudge, Blondie does need a good walk, use to bring her running with me, although to be honest it was more like dragging her around as she is much keener on swimming.

I do get out a couple of times a day when I am not working but little harder squeezing two walks in when working.

I must say Fudge seems very bright and is pretty good at basic commands, just need to calm her a little as regards jumping and nipping. She even got upset at Vets last night when Blondie cried getting her ears checked.

I am definitely little calmer today and more prepared for the challenge ahead as I am sure Fudge will be worth it and will give bundles more back in love and fun.

Traceypoo you probably saw posts on other forums, I have definitely been in panic mode the last two weeks, crazy as normally not that way but suppose I normally prefer little more planning ha

Thanks again for tips

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I just want to say major kudos to you, OP, for taking on that wee pup because you clearly have your hands full with your two legged creatures, never mind another dog, and I wish you and your family all the best!

Advertisement