Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adjusting an old cat to a new family?

Options
  • 19-07-2011 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

My next door neighbours are moving from Cork to Dublin, and can't bring their 11 year old cat with them as they're renting their new house, so they decided that we could keep the cat.
    The cat knows our family very well, she's always in our house, we've started to feed her to help her adjust, she gladly lounges around our house all day, and is very comfortable with us.
    I'm just concerned that she'll try to follow her old family when they leave next week? Does anyone have any tips on how to help her adjust to the new situation?

And my second problem is that she uses their garden to go to the toilet, and I doubt our new neighbours will like that, so is there anyway to change where she does that?

Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

You could try keeping her indoors for a week. Get a litter tray and encourage her to use it and then gradually, move the litter tray outside. Make a nice little area in your garden for her to do her business (a small sandpit would do the trick) and advise your new neighbours of the situation. A plastic 2 ltr empty soda bottle filled with water and left in their back garden will stop the cat from going to the toilet there (dnot ask how it works but it magically does). Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 _mocha_

You could try keeping her indoors for a week. Get a litter tray and encourage her to use it and then gradually, move the litter tray outside. Make a nice little area in your garden for her to do her business (a small sandpit would do the trick) and advise your new neighbours of the situation. A plastic 2 ltr empty soda bottle filled with water and left in their back garden will stop the cat from going to the toilet there (dnot ask how it works but it magically does). Good luck!

Thank you! I'll try all of that. Just one more question, I don't think she has a litter box in her old home, so will she have to be taught what to do? I'll tell them about the water bottle, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

_mocha_ wrote: »
    T, so will she have to be taught what to do? I'll tell them about the water bottle!
    No just place her in it a couple of times and she'll get the hang of it. Ive yet to show a cat or kitten how to use their tray more than once or twce...they seem to know automatically ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 _mocha_

anniehoo wrote: »
    No just place her in it a couple of times and she'll get the hang of it. Ive yet to show a cat or kitten how to use their tray more than once or twce...they seem to know automatically ;)
    Haha ok, thank you!:)

Advertisement