Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to the UK by ferry

Options
  • 19-07-2011 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi guys :) , I'm travelling to the UK In November to see a liverpool match with my boyfriend. I have no passport so hoping to travel by ferry. The problem is, i have no photo I.D :confused: I'm only 17 and have no drivers licence , as I don't travel much I am still on a parents passport. Could someone please help me get some form of photo I.D or know anything about any other form of I.D :confused:
    Thanks in advance !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Generally speaking you won't be asked for ID going on the Ferry. Your best bet for easy ID is either Luas or CIE/Dublin Bus/Irish Rail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

+1, easiest would definitely be a Dublin Bus or Student ID or something similar. You won't need a passport but having some form of Photo ID is recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JpXx

Well im from limerick and im not in college so the only one i could get out of them is the irish rail or something? Could i get my previsional licence before doing the 10 mandatory lessons ?

JpXx wrote: »
    Well im from limerick and im not in college so the only one i could get out of them is the irish rail or something? Could i get my previsional licence before doing the 10 mandatory lessons ?

Actually seems like to get the Irish Railcard ID you need another ID to get it.
    http://www.irishrail.ie/images/pdfs/RAILCARD_APP_Form.pdf
    Can the Garda give you an age card proving you're under-age?

Just found the Luas section, that's your best bet.
    http://www.luas.ie/assets/files/forms/ID%20form.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 28,887 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I was under the impression that its possible to get an age card from the Guards at 17.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Maloney33

U wont need Id, i do the trip once/twice a month. Its actually a bit of a joke when coming back into Dublin i look at the Customs lads, say ''Irish'' ''go ahead''

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Quazzie wrote: »
    I was under the impression that its possible to get an age card from the Guards at 17.
    nope
    only 18 or over:
    http://www.agecard.ie/faqs.html

there is though a second level student card available, like the ISIC for college students.
    http://www.studentcard.ie/home.aspx

costs 13 euro aparantly. Can be gotten by post from the office in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Maloney33 wrote: »
    U wont need Id, i do the trip once/twice a month. Its actually a bit of a joke when coming back into Dublin i look at the Customs lads, say ''Irish'' ''go ahead''
    Why is that a bit of a joke? You don't need a passport to travel between Ireland and the UK, but so many people are obviously so brainwashed to Ryanair's bullish and unforgiving policies that they see it odd when they don't need to produce anything.

You could give the Port Terminal crowd some kudos for having some basic courtesy, something that is often amiss when you are herded onto a flying bus and told to be grateful for the privilege.

Actually seems like to get the Irish Railcard ID you need another ID to get it.
    http://www.irishrail.ie/images/pdfs/RAILCARD_APP_Form.pdf
    Can the Garda give you an age card proving you're under-age?

Just found the Luas section, that's your best bet.
    http://www.luas.ie/assets/files/forms/ID%20form.pdf

see thats the thing i went onto the irishrail website and you need a photo ID to get that , the luas one wudn't be of help either as i wouldn't be using it , thanks for your help though i really appricate it :D

nope
    only 18 or over:
    http://www.agecard.ie/faqs.html

there is though a second level student card available, like the ISIC for college students.
    http://www.studentcard.ie/home.aspx

costs 13 euro aparantly. Can be gotten by post from the office in Dublin.

I won't be 18 until next year so i can't get the Garda vetting one or any age card , and i'm finished school so i can't get a second level student card :( , not too sure about going to college next year yet , im relying on points for the CAO :confused:

wo ye think ill be ok chancing my arm and going for the ferry with no photo ID??

thanks for all yere help by the way :)

• Advertisement

see thats the thing i went onto the irishrail website and you need a photo ID to get that , the luas one wudn't be of help either as i wouldn't be using it , thanks for your help though i really appricate it :D

who says you have to use the luas one? it's just an ID and it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I won't be 18 until next year so i can't get the Garda vetting one or any age card , and i'm finished school so i can't get a second level student card :( , not too sure about going to college next year yet , im relying on points for the CAO :confused:

wo ye think ill be ok chancing my arm and going for the ferry with no photo ID??

thanks for all yere help by the way :)
    Did you read my second link?
    An Id card, for school going people over 16s.
    It's not a university student card. It's for school kids. So exactly what you need.
    And only 13 euro.

Although if I were you I'd simply get a passport.
    It lasts ten years and you will need it at some stage to get somewhere useful like outside irl or uk so its cash you will have to spend sooner or later

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭billyhead

It's not a university student card. It's for school kids. So exactly what you need.
    And only 13 euro.

It lasts ten years and you will need it at some stage to get somewhere useful like outside irl or uk so its cash you will have to spend sooner or later

Only if flying with Ryanair to the UK;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Savman wrote: »
    Why is that a bit of a joke? You don't need a passport to travel between Ireland and the UK, but so many people are obviously so brainwashed to Ryanair's bullish and unforgiving policies that they see it odd when they don't need to produce anything.

You could give the Port Terminal crowd some kudos for having some basic courtesy, something that is often amiss when you are herded onto a flying bus and told to be grateful for the privilege.

Exactly. The same crap in Dublin airport where everyone has to go to passport control. I go to the UK regularly and they have an domestic/Ireland lane where you just show your boarding pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 PercyXxx

And only 13 euro.

ya but im not in school anymore ? I will need a passport eventually but i dont have the money for that now ju know , ill try the luas one and see :)

Ps . This is my new account they deleted my last one for sayin i was sellin a debs dress :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Maloney33 wrote: »

They catch impostors trying to sneak through by saying: "Ah sure top of the morning to ye all! Isn't it a fine soft day, to be sure to be sure... begorrah"

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Temp Barry

I have travelled over the last few months from Ireland to UK and back again on the ferry. I wasnt asked to show any picture ID or passport at any stage (travelled Irish Ferries and Stena).

Temp Barry wrote: »
    I have travelled over the last few months from Ireland to UK and back again on the ferry. I wasnt asked to show any picture ID or passport at any stage (travelled Irish Ferries and Stena).

so i should be ok with no id then ? thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Temp Barry

PercyXxx wrote: »

Yip. Each time the only documentation I had to show was the printed e-ticket.

• Advertisement

PercyXxx wrote: »

I really don't understand why you won't apply for a Luas card, all it costs is the price of a stamp and the two photos. You need never ever use it for Luas tickets.

oh i didnt really understand you haha .. i might just do that so , thanks !:D

Advertisement