Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe cycle weekend

Options
  • 19-07-2011 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

hi, thinking of going away for a day or two at the weekend. im not the greatest at reading weather charts but as far as I can see, rain should be away for the coming weekend? Anyone confirm this? anyway, my friend loves to cycle but has a history of traffic accidents (was knocked down as a child, in coma, was involved in 3 other car accidents as a passnger) so would be looking for somewhere nice and quiet with nice scenery to for a leisurely cycle, so nothing too exhausting, just take it at a leisurely pace, flat grounds and importantly, wide, safe roads . would consider anywhere outside of dublin , maybe south west somewhere?

have a road bike myself so cant go offroad unfortunately but any suggestions for a nice place to visit in terms of a nice area to cycle and also in terms of attractions to see by car, nice places to eat etc, so somewhere that has a bit of everything as a nice weekend away, it's not a cycle weekend at all by the way, but maybe spend half a day or so cyclings omewhere nice would be great :D

cheers for any suggestions!:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

.. rain should be away for the coming weekend? Anyone confirm this?

Phone ringing... Hello, is this the Creator? Do you know if it's going to rain on the weekend? I understand, it's Ireland, not even you have a clue.

Sorry tried..

Ring of Kerry and around dingle is fantastic for a cycle. Also lot's of other stuff to do with the car and restaurants etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

For the weather - www.yr.no - you can search for places in Ireland and it gives you an hour-by-hour forecast for about the next 48 hrs. It's reasonably accurate.

In terms of cycle tracks - there's the Greenway in Mayo -

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/travel/2011/0716/1224300810503.html

Only 18 km long though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Jawgap wrote: »
    Only 18 km long though.

Recently upgraded to 42Km ;)

http://www.greenway.ie/Greenway-01.html

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭NeptunesMoon

looks like a nice cycle alright, but ive only road tyres on my road bike so i dont think it would last on an off road route :( if there was any traffic free, or just wide empty roads that are safe to cycle on and suitable for road bike that would be brill

Any suggestions on suitable routes down south east at all? Road bike safe, wide, quiet and scenic cycle routes with little to no traffic if possible close to decent town/city :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

looks like a nice cycle alright, but ive only road tyres on my road bike so i dont think it would last on an off road route

It doesn't look like off-road in the normal sense (i.e. off-tarmac), there's tarmac in every picture I can find.

If you want to get away from cars you have to get off the road. Wider roads with good visibility tend to be busier with traffic, for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 midlandor

hi, thinking of going away for a day or two at the weekend. im not the greatest at reading weather charts but as far as I can see, rain should be away for the coming weekend? Anyone confirm this? anyway, my friend loves to cycle but has a history of traffic accidents (was knocked down as a child, in coma, was involved in 3 other car accidents as a passnger) so would be looking for somewhere nice and quiet with nice scenery to for a leisurely cycle, so nothing too exhausting, just take it at a leisurely pace, flat grounds and importantly, wide, safe roads . would consider anywhere outside of dublin , maybe south west somewhere?

have a road bike myself so cant go offroad unfortunately but any suggestions for a nice place to visit in terms of a nice area to cycle and also in terms of attractions to see by car, nice places to eat etc, so somewhere that has a bit of everything as a nice weekend away, it's not a cycle weekend at all by the way, but maybe spend half a day or so cyclings omewhere nice would be great :D

cheers for any suggestions!:cool:

Would highly recommend the cycle routes around Killarney National Park. How much cycling would you want to do though (in terms of KMs)?

cheers, it would be nice if there was some kind of destination, as in cycle for an hour or two from x town to x park or x attraction, be able to have lunch, picnic etc and cycle back. had another look at the greenway and they even have a video and it looks ok, but still not sure if the whole trail would be suitable for road bike. has anyone done the whole thing on a roadbike before?

any other route suggestions down south, waterford area?

Advertisement