Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doggie Books

Options
  • 18-07-2011 10:52pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm buying myself a birthday pressie of a heap of Doggie books ;)

Can anyone recommend some good agility books. Is there a book of course layouts for example and a make your own equipment guide? (there are a few but does anyone actually own one?). I'm feeling flush but not so much that I wan't to throw away money :p.
    I have a week off work coming up and want to (maybe) have a go at throwing some agility equipment together

Any other recommendations for canine psychology/behaviour, nutrition, competitive obedience, genetics, anatomy, veterinary books or 'just a nice story' books etc? My little doggy bookshelf is looking very miserable next to my giant wall of horsey books . . .

My fav horsie books are Mark Rashid's so if anyone knows of them and can recommend a doggie version of the same I'll thank you muchly forever and ever. ;)

If everyone who has just one all time favourite book posts I'll be off to a flying start for a great little collection :D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Here's a website with agility equipment plans so you can build your own. http://www.doggiestylish.com/store/Build-Your-Own-Dog-Agility-Equipment/Free-Dog-Agility-Jump-Building-Plans

I love any of the books Temple Grandin has written about animal phsychology (sp?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I love any of the books Temple Grandin has written about animal phsychology (sp?)

I have the animals in translation book of hers and it's seriously interesting stuff! :D

If you've an interest in cats then Dewey is a good read, the end brought a tear to even my eyes which didn't cry at Marley & me! :D

As for veterinary books I would definitely recommend the bsava textbook of veterinary nursing it's a big purple book. I use it for college anyways but it's really handy just for flicking through when you've a problem with one of your own. Any of the victoria aspinall veterinary books are usually good reference books too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

TooManyDogs, that site is great, now know how to keep my 13yr old busy for the summer (and dogs too:D).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

He could get his own cottage industry going!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

My favourite author is Patricia Mc Connell - she makes so much sense and she writes with such warmth. Her writings are peppered with lovely anecdotes about her own dogs. I'd recommend The Other End of The Leash and For The Love Of A Dog.

Another "must have" book that's a damn good read is Jean Donaldson's The Culture Clash - an impassioned, reasoned book on why we shouldn't anthropomorphise or make assumptions about dogs' behaviour. It's brilliant and very readable!

Another book I love, and it is about dog behaviour too except through more rose-tinted glasses, is Dogs Never Lie About Love by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson. It's a lovely read.

Another great book on dog behaviour, again written with great warmth, is Bones Would Rain From The Sky by Suzanne Clothier.

One of my favourite books on training is The Power of Positive Dog Training, by Pat Miller.

And probably my favourite 'nice story' author on dogs is John Katz. :)

All of the above are on Amazon and Dogwise - happy shopping! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

I did the exact same for my birthday! Just recieved the last one today so am gagging to get into them!
    -
    Mine are mostly along the Dog Psychology road - get the lil demon girl trained before I get any on setting up agility courses - she's already a pro at jumping over an old broom handle balanced on 2 cement blocks and through the hoolahoop aswell (total investment 2euro! - the broom was free as were the blocks (gotta love cleaning out the garage!) and the hoolahoop was the only expense -and that was only 2 euro in tesco!) - And she's loving it and having a fabulous time!!

Ok - back to the books!

The one I'm enjoying the most at the moment is:
    Dogs Don't Bite When A Growl Will Do by Matt Weinstein & Luke Barber
    (this one was actually signed by the 2 authors! Gotta love Amazon!)

Then I also got but haven't started (but they look beyond excellent and interesting from the flick throughs and scans that I've given them!)

The Dogvinci Code by John Rogerson

Dog Body, Dog Mind by Dr Michael W Fox

The Cure for Useless Dog Syndrome by Ray & Emma Lincoln

And the last one isn't as classy and educated as the rest - but it still seems a really good read and should supplement our list of tricks very nicely! It would be a bit better for newbie dog owners - but its still a good (and cheap) book to pick up for experiened owners and it is...

Brain Games for Dogs by Claire Arrowsmith

Again - I got all of these off Amazon - I think for 7 books I paid 40 euro all in all (mainly shopping in the new/next to new section) they're all perfect condition - brand new looking! And one of them, as I said, was even signed by the 2 authors! And that one was priced at 5 cents (USA dollars) - totally shocking to actually get it and it was signed at that price! (Yea, I'm a sucker for signed books!)

Happy shopping and hope you get some excellent reads! And I'll look forward to hearing what you bought and what you thought of them (your reviews!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

boomerang wrote: »
    And probably my favourite 'nice story' author on dogs is John Katz. :)

Was it a dog year you read? If it's the same book that I'm thinking of then I think that book pissed me off more than anything at his slightly unorthodox training methods. I don't think I enjoyed it much anyways. :(

The art of racing in the rain is another one I'd definitely recommend, it's a definite tearjerker. I can't believe I forgot that one in my last post, just googled it there and it looks like there making a movie of it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Kali Kalika, my daughter has them jumping through the hula hoop and over the brush handle too, although I wasn't as impressed when I came home one day to their new tricks, jumping from the sofa to arm chair, and leaping on and off the sofa to do various other sofa involed tricks:mad:
    Think the agility course (and the building of it) would be a good way for her to pass the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Ive recently started doing agility as well and am really enjoying it. I bought some equipment from zooplus and have been having great fun with it.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/agility_sport/fun_agility/131130

The above set is definitley more suited for small or up to medium breeds. It comes in a handy pack away bags and it is easy to assemble.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Well I ordered Dawn Weavers book this morning, also a little set of books on agility training drills (whatever they are :p) and course layouts so that will do me for the Agility end of it at least until I can have a nosey at what I've bought. Have been wanting Victoria Stillwell's book for a while now so I think I might just go for it as well. Will have a look at some of the veterinary type stuff for an hour later as well.

As for the rest, no idea where to start, that part is definitely a job for the weekend :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement