Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rod caught mackie limits??

Options
  • 18-07-2011 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

was talking to a mate down in rossaveal today and he mentioned that the fisheries board lads are telling eveyone that there is a 6 mackerel limit per person for mackerel??? anyone out there heard anything or is it a load of old tosh??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

It would be a good idea imho,i know the fish are getting hammered by the trawlers and most of the damage to stocks is done offshore but six fish would feed any family,we have all seen the big bags of mackerel being carted up the rocks to the boot of the car(guilty myself at one time)but we are better educated these days and are aware of the dwindling stocks and should do our bit to preserve whats left,regards

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

I think only the full size ones should be kept really, but no, there is no limit, they are a very sustainable fish and the numbers are not dwindling.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

minterno wrote: »
    It would be a good idea imho,i know the fish are getting hammered by the trawlers and most of the damage to stocks is done offshore but six fish would feed any family,we have all seen the big bags of mackerel being carted up the rocks to the boot of the car(guilty myself at one time)but we are better educated these days and are aware of the dwindling stocks and should do our bit to preserve whats left,regards

Well the Faroe Islands and Iceland (where the mackerel spend their time before they migrate to Ireland in the summer) are currently in dispute with the EU about mackerel quotas. As a result they have abandoned their quotas and licensed several chinese and far-eastern super-trawlers to fish their waters for mackerel. They could catch up to 1/3 of the entire atlantic mackerel stock this year (according to an article in the sunday times yesterday). So I don't think putting a limit on what recreational fisherman would have any effect whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

also rember that if you touch a mackerel with your hand and return the fish that
    it will die anyway.
    btw i dont see any reason for an angler to be taking home obscene amounts of them i see some lads catching bin liner after bin liner of them,
    once you have enough for the table, maybe a few friends and you bait stock whats the point ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

copperhead wrote: »
    also rember that if you touch a mackerel with your hand and return the fish that
    it will die anyway.

Really? How is that? Never knew!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

afaik our skin acts like acid to mackerels skin
    and damages there scales etc witch results in the fish getting infection and dying about a day later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

copperhead wrote: »
    afaik our skin acts like acid to mackerels skin
    and damages there scales etc witch results in the fish getting infection and dying about a day later
    I kind of doubt this, but you never know :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

shblob wrote: »
    I kind of doubt this, but you never know :o

Its generally considered to be true. There is not really any slime on macks and the oil from human skin damages the very small scales and allows infection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mackerelyum

Mackerel are a very oily fish when we touch them we remove this oil from them this causes them to live no more then a day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭fallowbuck

I also find this hard to believe , surly it would take longer than just one day for infection to grow and spread and then be fatal??????????????????????:confused:

Advertisement