Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melt yoga classes: avoid at all costs!

Options
  • 18-07-2011 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I purchased one the city deals voucher for 8 yoga classes at Melt. On the face of it, it looked like good value. I was a bit put off by the reception of the salesgirl who took my name down for the class. First, she never stopped eating her snack while talking to me (mid-afternoon, not quite a lunch break) then when I mentionned I'd be on holidays for a couple of the classes that were part of the 8-week course, and asked if it would it be possible to attend another couple of classes the odd week to make up for it she emphatically said no, this would mess things up. **Highlight #1: Rude AND unaccommodating staff** Now, as to messing things up, I don't see how it could get worse: the website stated the wrong start date for the course, so I turned up on the last class of the previous course. That wasn't spotted at the reception where a different staff member from my first encounter was only interested in getting my voucher Then on enquiring about changing facilities, that same person curtly directed me behind a curtain where various big objects such as spare massaging chairs where kept, with no light. In the dark, I had barely room to lift my arms to change my clothes . The only aternative was one loo that of course was quite busy. On the the second visit I was asked again for the voucher I had already given. There is no system in place to check in for your class: you have to queue behind shop customers doing their transactions, wasting your time until you give your name (which is then scribbled on a piece of paper - or not the whole thing looks totally shambolic). **Highlight #2: Uncourteous staff, lack of organisation specific to the yoga course, wrong information on the website, no changing facilities to speak of** The studio is L-shaped, which means that if you are unfortunate enough to sit at the top of the L, there's no visibility. The class is overcrowded, which leaves about 10cms between mats. Because it's overcrowded it gets stuffy, so the windows need to be opened at the front and the back, creating a draft and letting the noise from busy temple bar in, making the instructor hard to hear in turn. **Highlight #3: Facilities from hell** Why, I hear you ask, did I not just ask for a refund and left it at that? The yoga instructor, Roxanna, is good. She takes the time to correct every students' alignment and that's not something I've seen in many places. I think the main problem with this place is that Melt is primarily a shop that happens to accommodate yoga classes in whatever broom cupboard they can cram as many punters as possible, and make them pay heftily (when you get that service, even a 60% off deal doesn't seem like good value anymore) for the priviledge. The second big issue is of course the rudeness and clulessness of their salestaff. Just to make sure there are confusion, this is Melt in Temple Bar, 2 Temple Lane, Dublin 2, Ireland http://www.meltonline.com/.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 XanderTheGreat

I've been going to Melt for over 6 years now and I agree with some of your points re the room shape and massage table not being cleared but overall I find the staff very friendly and helpful. The odd time when a new staff member is being trainded in it can be a bit disorganized but usually the service is good.

The Iyengar Yoga is the best class that I have ever attended (and I've been to a lot) but that is down to the teacher Aisling rather than full kudos for Melt.

I think you just got them on a bad day and maybe the level of service goes down when you get the cheaper discount rate, not your fault but I've seen this happen with these discounted deals, hard to get the quality when you pay so little.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I think you just got them on a bad day and maybe the level of service goes down when you get the cheaper discount rate, not your fault but I've seen this happen with these discounted deals, hard to get the quality when you pay so little.
    I totally disagree with you on the deals. I've bought more than one voucher for my usual studio and the standard has been just as excellent when I've paid with my voucher, as opposed to cash. And really, anybody who cuts quality because they're offered a voucher deal is doing themselves no favours in the long run.

I've never heard of this studio bfore. I must look them up!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

I signed up for a beginners' course there years ago but couldn't stick with it. I hated how overcrowded and stuffy the room was. We were literally knocking into each other at times. The teacher and staff seemed bored and indifferent but they weren't terrible, just not great.

Advertisement