Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish Car in UK, need to get back to Ireland

Options
  • 18-07-2011 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I am looking for some guidance.

I took my irish reg car to the UK a couple of years ago, and now would like to bring it back to Ireland. Unfortunately for the past 18months it has been sat in a friends garage, and tax, NCT and insurance has run out.

The car is still registered in ireland, and I understand can insure it for the journey back to Ireland, however would the fact that it is not taxed or insured, invalidate the insurance?

I have looked into taxing it but cant as it is not insured or doesnt have an NCT.

Basically I am in a catch 22, and it appears my only option is to drive back with no coverage and at a massive risk.

Any ideas on how I can get round this.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

df299 wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking for some guidance.

I took my irish reg car to the UK a couple of years ago, and now would like to bring it back to Ireland. Unfortunately for the past 18months it has been sat in a friends garage, and tax, NCT and insurance has run out.

The car is still registered in ireland, and I understand can insure it for the journey back to Ireland, however would the fact that it is not taxed or insured, invalidate the insurance?

I have looked into taxing it but cant as it is not insured or doesnt have an NCT.

Basically I am in a catch 22, and it appears my only option is to drive back with no coverage and at a massive risk.

Any ideas on how I can get round this.

Thanks

you dont need an NCT to tax the car but you do need a valid insurance policy.

cant you insure it through an irish company and then tax it and drive it home?
    or simply insure it, drive home and tax it when you get home?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Best option would be insure it, then get paperwork filled in for being off the road and get tax on it, book your NCT and it should be ok to drive home although it is illegal to drive without a valid NCT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Check out donedeal for UK/ROI car transportation companies. There are usually 2 or 3 offering the service and it costs about 300e

• Registered Users Posts: 4 df299

Thanks, some useful info there, sent out a few enquires for car transportation, could work out the cheapest and safest option.

Advertisement