Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County road signs

Options
  • 18-07-2011 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm thinking of travelling around Ireland to take pictures of all the "Welcome to Co. <whatever>" signs you see when you drive into a county. On google street view I can find signs for every county in the Republic, but in Northern Ireland I can't find any of these signs except one in Fermanagh.

Does anyone know if Northern Ireland counties have these signs, and if so where I can find them?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Fermanagh/Tyrone border
    They're not like the touristy ones in the South, but they have nicer signs for the different boroughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Thanks for that Gulliver. I've been wandering around google street view and managed to find one for Fermanagh and one for Tyrone too but none for the other four. They seem to be fairly rare for some reason (or else I'm looking in the wrong places! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

They're a bit random. AFAIK technically speaking Counties don't exist as an administrative boundary in NI and so aren't generally marked (they were replaced many moons ago by the 26 council districts) - so you will see "Welcome to..." signs at the district boundaries. Fermanagh is the only old county that pretty much still exists as a District or Borough, so you will get Fermanagh signs in the right places.

I was pretty convinced there was a Co. Antrim / Co. Londonderry sign on the coast road out of Portrush but Streetview is doing it's best to confuse me....and I can't think of any going into or out of Co. Armagh, which would be my old stomping ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Well we don't really care about counties up here like yous do we're not as clannish when we say where we are from we would just say the town or village. Not only that part of coleraine borough is in county antrim and part is in county londonderry so its stupid to use counties.

I don't know about the other counties but i can show you several locations were counties antrim and londonderry intersect.

1st on the frosses road to ballymoney:

http://maps.google.com/?ll=55.096024,-6.580161&spn=0.001489,0.011689&z=18&layer=c&cbll=55.096025,-6.580161&panoid=aZvGL6gwRVp9k3A5AhegSQ&cbp=11,158.69,,0,11

(the county londonderry sign is on the opposite side of the road)

2nd on the ballyrashane road to ballycastle:

http://maps.google.com/?ll=55.134893,-6.568741&spn=0.006611,0.023378&z=17&layer=c&cbll=55.135024,-6.569415&panoid=kAoCG01s41kfRSt71zBNJQ&cbp=12,93.39,,0,10.2

(then the county londonderry sign is on the reverse)

3rd on the atlantic road on the way to the port:

http://maps.google.com/?ll=55.192008,-6.656121&spn=0.001485,0.011689&z=18&layer=c&cbll=55.192008,-6.656121&panoid=UBhZ3RLLN9SDQUR9VHTOyw&cbp=11,3.79,,0,4.01

4th on the cloyfin road to bushmill:

http://maps.google.com/?ll=55.168347,-6.592784&spn=0.002972,0.023378&z=17&layer=c&cbll=55.16835,-6.592781&panoid=LHfRl4wwEsmc4wncs3DV0w&cbp=11,54.23,,0,7.64

There you go and as you can see they are very plain and simple.

Wow, thanks for those owenc :)

• Advertisement

I don't suppose anybody knows if there are signs like the above around the Newry area of Co. Down? I did manage to find a Down sign but it is beyond Downpatrick and if I can find one closer to home that would save an hour round trip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Antilles wrote: »
    I don't suppose anybody knows if there are signs like the above around the Newry area of Co. Down? I did manage to find a Down sign but it is beyond Downpatrick and if I can find one closer to home that would save an hour round trip :)

If it's around Downpatrick then it's probably for the "Down District Council" area which is only part of the county.

I don't know of any signs welcoming you to Counties Down or Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Also, the reason why there are many Fermanagh signs is that the whole county is represented by one council. That isn't the case for the other five counties.

(Although the Fermanagh one linked to above is a plain Road Service sign, rather than a council "Fermanagh welcomes you naturally" sign)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JennyMassey88

Hey,

My best friend and I have the same idea we are still ivery much n our planning stage, but we want to do something in each county to and learn something about each county too. (everyday is a school day ;) ) ha but its a really great Idea.! We are having trouble locating the welcome to road signs for any counties. So far we have the kildare one done but thats only because we live there haha so that is pretty pathetic... Do you have any tips or anything that you could share with us or what way you found them or anything you learned from your trip that you could pass on to us?? i would really appriciate the help

Thanks a million : Jenny :)

Advertisement