Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGCE with languages - qualified to teach in TEFL environment?

Options
  • 18-07-2011 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Friend of mine recently completed a PGCE course in Wales (Spanish and Business) - obviously a major component of which was teaching languages in a classroom.

She rang around a couple of language schools but they've said that she requires a TEFL qualification to qualify to teach. Is this a requirement in Irish language schools or would it be worth trying to convince them that a PGCE with languages provides similar qualification?

Any and all help appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Rosita

No harm in trying to convince and there is no doubt (I know this as a language teacher who did the PGDE and a CELT (tefl) course) in my experience of teacher training that the skills taught were the same communicative approach.

I am assuming the person in question would have done language teahing training in a separate module to teaching Spanish? Certainly when I did a language in UCD in the PGDE the emphasis was on the literature etc. and how that would be taught. There was a separate module for teaching the spoken language which covered all languages. It would be important to demonstrate that there was such a module covered in the course.

But my instinct is that there are far too many TEFL graduates around for a school in Ireland to be likely to employ someone without specific TEFL training.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

As far as I know, English language schools in Ireland are required to employ teachers who have done ACELS accredited TEFL courses.ACELS is the body that oversees English Language schools in this country. I tried without success to find a TEFL job prior to doing one of these courses, and that was always what I was told, that the schools wanted to see an ACELS cert.
    Most of the courses ACELS endorse are 4 week/120 hr TEFL courses. However,
    seeing as your friend is a qualified teacher she might look in to doing the 1 week ACELS accredited course for qualified teachers who want to teach TEFL in the summer. This is what I did. The course is fine, as in not very challenging! It is not cheap, I think about €300 and obviously quite short, but you get the bit of paper and that is what the language schools want.

Advertisement